1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/28/22 11:18 a.m.
feature_image

On March 31 Toyota will unveil an “all-new GR sports car in the U.S.” during a live stream starting at 9:30 p.m. Eastern.

What, exactly, could this new car be? Based on the images and video provided, plus a line in the release that says Toyota has already “released preview images…

Read the rest of the story

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/28/22 11:40 a.m.

"Corolla" and  "sports car" really don't go together.

Maybe sports sedan or sport hatch. I'm betting they bring out something that's little more than an appearance package.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
3/28/22 11:48 a.m.

FINALLY!

I'm afraid of how much it is though

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
3/28/22 11:51 a.m.

Mighty Car Mods got a GR Yaris that looks pretty interesting. Sadly, I wonder what dealer markup would be on such a car these days.

Median
Median New Reader
3/28/22 11:53 a.m.

I bet it's the Corolla GR.

And 100% its 4wd and turbocharged

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
3/28/22 11:54 a.m.

I was going to say, can we please have the GR Yaris and not have to wait 25 years to get one?

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
3/28/22 1:15 p.m.
Median said:

I bet it's the Corolla GR.

And 100% its 4wd and turbocharged

Exactly this. It has been teased for a couple months now. The one was deciphered like two hours after they posted it with the infotainment screen posting the name "GR-Four", the horsepower 286 and a few other bits and bobs. 

Car is going to be bonkers and Toyota is hopefully going to sell a ton of them. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/28/22 1:23 p.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

Will they sell a ton?  My Honda guy talks like they might get 2-3 CTR's next year.   Make us some cars already.     

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
3/28/22 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I think a lot of the volume they're going to sell is also on how the dealers handle the sale process.

$20k market ripoff adjustment and no test drives isn't going to help, for example. Plus I think Toyota doesn't allow the dealer to order a car (at least that seemed to be the case with the new 86), they have to take their allocation.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
3/28/22 1:38 p.m.

Well,  the RAV4 Prime is currently unavailable as is the 86 (the two that I was interested in) and the Yaris GR doesn't even come stateside. What ever it is will likely be very cool and capable and unavailable either through limited numbers, parts constraints or dealer mark up. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
3/28/22 2:30 p.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

thats the fear part. 10k above? no thanks.

if you order one its not like its going to be here within 12 weeks either I bet you gotta wait several months too

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/28/22 2:43 p.m.

A roughly 260HP AWD hot-hatch? What's not to love? If it lists at $32K they will see a ton of them. At $40K, they will struggle. 

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
3/28/22 3:00 p.m.

It's looking to be exactly 6 months from deposit to delivery for a regular, not-loaded Tacoma for me.  Easily a 6 month wait on these, since I bet allocations will be much harder to come by. 

Don't get me wrong, I hope they make millions of them so I can pick one up in a couple years.

JAdams
JAdams Reader
3/28/22 3:14 p.m.

If I can get one without a markup and within a reasonable time, they will be getting my money and I'll be selling my WRX Wagon.

3 cylinder, turbo, awd, manual hatchback that makes almost 300hp sounds like an amazing car in the days where electric cars are being pushed so hard. Bonus points if it's around 3000 lbs.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
3/28/22 3:16 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

There was a time when Corolla was a fun performance car!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/28/22 5:04 p.m.
trucke said:
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

There was a time when Corolla was a fun performance car!

This, the AE86-AE111 frames all had sporty models that were sold under the Corolla brand in some markets, not just as a Trueno/Levin.

A new GR Corolla hatch with an H-pattern would immediately be much more interesting than the new Integra, even more if it's AWD.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
3/28/22 6:11 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Yep, there's even a more recent Corolla hatchback with rally cred, it just didn't come to the States like the rest of the hot Corollas post-AE92.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/28/22 6:27 p.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

A roughly 260HP AWD hot-hatch? What's not to love? If it lists at $32K they will see a ton of them. At $40K, they will struggle. 

Well, the Mazda 3 can now be had as an AWD turbo hatch, a lot closer to $30k than $40k.

Forum reaction was "meh".

pointofdeparture
3/28/22 6:35 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Unfortunately, the consensus on that one seemed to be that it's a fine car but not an enthusiast vehicle. Also the ones you can actually buy on the lot seem to be optioned up closer to $40k.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2021-mazda3-25-turbo-hatchback/

The Mazda3 makes power torque, you say. Yes, but this engine’s only available with a two-pedal setup.

Sigh.

But there’s a manual mode, right?

Yes, but I couldn’t get the thing to reach redline. And I tried. In fact, even the auto mode felt just lazy.

So, what do we have here? How about it’s a nicer, softer WRX. Or maybe it’s a sedate, commuter-friendly version of a Type R.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a34734612/2021-mazda-3-25t-by-the-numbers/

A dual-clutch transmission—or, dare to dream, a manual—would totally change the car's personality. But you hit the street with the transmission you've got not the one you want, and the relaxed transmission is in sync with the rest of the car's tuning. The 3 2.5 Turbo wants to be an Audi but not an S3. Maybe more like an A7.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/28/22 6:37 p.m.

If it is FWD it is not a sports car.

pointofdeparture
3/28/22 6:49 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

This doesn't scream "FWD" at me:

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/28/22 7:09 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

The pessimist in me says it is a hot RAV4.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/28/22 7:09 p.m.

It's not the Corolla GR, it's the Corolla Cross GR.....

I mean, Ford has an Explorer ST, so maybe Toyota is going to compete with a Highlander GR.......

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/28/22 7:11 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

In reply to NOHOME :

This doesn't scream "FWD" at me:

That screams "step rail for an SUV" to me. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/28/22 7:15 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Okay, first, get out of my head smiley

But yes, cannot unsee that now.

The depth of door to wheelwell seems to suggest something other. Supra with all wheel drive? Or a Celica based on the Supra but with a four cylinder engine? Or maybe even with the all wheel drive system from a 3 series because why not go for broke when speculating?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gH6kqgAMdCSo2xslgB1ZuMCDTP58VNP7D6Cvfl3JVPyxtBideI2ctr8BbTGx9RH9