2 3 4
pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
3/31/22 6:21 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

This is anecdotal but it seems like they've become a fair bit lighter over time. The single stage bag in my old Volvo 850 was like a lead weight, the dual-stage bag in my NC Miata seems like it's 1/2-1/3 the weight of the Volvo assembly (in addition to being physically smaller).

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/31/22 6:27 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

A lot of it is developing smaller (cheaper) ways to build them, a lot of it is the way they are a lot lower powered than they were in the 90s when they were supposed to protect an unbelted 90th percentile male.  Remember when children and smaller adults were getting their necks broken by airbags?

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/31/22 6:35 p.m.

I strongly feel that this is a generational car, as in we won't see another like it for a generation, which really means that it's potentially the last of it's kind. This and an ND2 is the best new purchase 2 car garage that can be had for under $100k in my opinion. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/31/22 7:00 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I am not that pessimistic.  The Celica GT-Four (aka Alltrac) was also the "last of its kind" because the FIA went away from a homologation requirement for top level stage rally.

Note that this car, along with the Yaris, have nothing to do with WRC other than the badge on the tailgate.  Heck, WRC are now hybrids, and they have not needed to use a production based engine for nearly a decade, just as the chassis have not needed to be production based for roughly two and a half decades. Toyota is building this because they can, and they think it makes financial sense to do so.

Enthusiasts gonna enthuse, and if there is money to be made in fulfilling those desires, someone is going to do it.  This is one of those cars that, while it is not something I am interested in, I am happy that it exists.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
3/31/22 7:30 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Toyota is building this because they can, and they think it makes financial sense to do so.

The CEO being a real racing nut also helps.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
3/31/22 7:37 p.m.

I like the looks! Much better than a CTR. And smaller too.

Maybe the 3 cyl can help keep the weight down, but none of the AWD compacts have been light, thinking of the STI and last gen Evo. The Yaris is really small, so it can get below 3k easily, but there is no way they can add AWD to a 3100 lb car and not gain some serious weight, even with a 3 cyl.

Basically it's going to weigh as much as a Focus RS but have less power. I think if they can make the driving dynamics amazing, it won't matter. The price is right if the mark ups aren't insane, which they probably will be. The CTR is basically unobtainable because of the price (including the mark up) and perhaps low production numbers.

I am mainly just grateful Toyota is making this at all. 

Berck
Berck Reader
3/31/22 7:46 p.m.

Exactly.  I'm happy to trade a Focus RS on one even if it's 50hp less, assuming it's not terrible in some way that I haven't discovered yet.  It's possible that the transmission is terrible or that the turbo lag is awful, but I'm guessing neither is the case.  There's no way the seats and the suspension aren't much better than the RS, and it's not like I do anything with drift mode in the RS other than use it to have extra fun in the snow.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/31/22 7:48 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

The pre US market STI and Evo were a lot lighter, IIRC in the 2600-2800lb range.  The GD is the GD and the Evo VIII was made on a larger platform than an Evo IV-VII.  (Ever drive a DSM era Mirage/Colt/Precis?  You drove the base for the old Evos)

3/31/22 9:36 p.m.

I'm not speaking with regards to homologation special. I'm speaking with regards to, turbo as opposed to hybrid assist, real differentials as opposed to E-diff and engineering being given final say versus what the bean counters say. The GR Yaris punches above it's spec sheet, and I expect this to fully do the same. Comparing it to a Subaru is laziness based upon spec sheet comparison. 

I also suspect that this will be a one generation product. In all likelihood a future sporty Corolla will be a hybrid, and likely very good, but with regards to future values, this one will be one of the last great JDM kings that isn't a model attempting to refind it's mojo (I'm looking at you Acura). 

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/31/22 9:47 p.m.

Love the styling and concept and specs. Anything remotely interesting, sporty, and manual these days is something to be celebrated regardless of whether it is FWD, AWD or whatever.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
3/31/22 9:48 p.m.

So MSRP to be revealed later, booooo.

Did anybody else find the livestream to be really dark or was it just me?

3/31/22 10:02 p.m.

3249 on the curb weight is the official number. 

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/31/22 10:10 p.m.

This should be the last of its kind before the EVs take over - Can someone show me where to sign up and take my money?!

I want a rowdy 3-Cylinder hot hatch in my life.  The GR86 & Miata are great, but I want an engine with some more character.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
4/1/22 8:47 a.m.

I put down a deposit yesterday to replace my 2015 WRX. Probably the last time a car like this will be sold, plus high used car prices might even make it a savvy investment, but mostly it just made me smile to think about it and I want more power, more brakes, more noise, more crazy before the inevitable takeover of electric.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
4/1/22 9:29 a.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm not speaking with regards to homologation special. I'm speaking with regards to, turbo as opposed to hybrid assist, real differentials as opposed to E-diff and engineering being given final say versus what the bean counters say. The GR Yaris punches above it's spec sheet, and I expect this to fully do the same. Comparing it to a Subaru is laziness based upon spec sheet comparison. 

I also suspect that this will be a one generation product. In all likelihood a future sporty Corolla will be a hybrid, and likely very good, but with regards to future values, this one will be one of the last great JDM kings that isn't a model attempting to refind it's mojo (I'm looking at you Acura). 

bingo

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
4/1/22 10:00 a.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I'm really impressed that the weight is that low. Kudos Toyota!

sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
4/1/22 10:17 a.m.
RX8driver said:

I want more power, more brakes, more noise, more crazy before the inevitable takeover of electric.

Hey... get out of my head! cheeky

4/1/22 10:21 a.m.

In reply to sevenracer :

Exactly, I'm all for the inevitable EV takeover, but give me visercal madness before it comes. 

One last weekend of partying before I check myself into the clinic to get cleaned up. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/1/22 10:41 a.m.

3249 on the curb weight is the official number. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
4/1/22 12:13 p.m.

In reply to sevenracer :

Exactly, I'm all for the inevitable EV takeover, but give me visercal madness before it comes. 

One last weekend of partying before I check myself into the clinic to get cleaned up. 

I am enjoying this "last hurrah" of the automakers though. 

I mean... hellcat? 10 second drag car out of the box? awesome

blackwing Ct5/Ct4? proper Cadillac 

GR yaris/Carolla? the rally inspired rocket we have been wanting

some wild aston martins out there now and anything W12 powered of course. 

we are living in the golden age of horsepower again. 

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l6LGTHYucjrm191m2a6XXbxso8lBEXyCtVVvJdJXVC58VvwCIFZDDCFuN88i385K