1 2 3
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
8/15/13 10:18 a.m.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/08/toyota-to-introduce-two-new-rear-wheel-drive-sports-cars/

One bigger and one smaller than the Toyobaru. Obvious possibility for the bigger one is the new Supra that's been vaporware for so long. What about the smaller one? A new MR2...or Starlet? It would be the first RWD hot hatch in decades!

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
8/15/13 10:41 a.m.

Watch the Hybrid-R be an FR-S with a KERS system rated to 400 HP... Or a RWD Corolla.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/toyota-hybrid-r-concept-frankfurt-motor-show-2013-08-13

I'm holding out hope for a new RX-7 more than a new Supra since it seems more likely.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
8/15/13 10:50 a.m.

^Very smart move to use a supercapacitor, it can store massive amounts of energy on regen when entering a corner and then boost you out with the force of a thousand suns. No need to store the power for more than a few seconds. This saves wear on the battery and gets around the charge/discharge rate limitation.

nocones
nocones SuperDork
8/15/13 10:59 a.m.

This will never happen. Toyota as a company would never do anything that would excite GRM. They are to busy building Camry's, Corollas, and CUV's that are Horribly outclassed by the competitions offerings. Anyway who would introduce these cars the entire design/engineering team is on holiday resting on the laurels of their achievements in the early 90's as evidenced by having Subaru engineer the FeerzBeerz.

nocones
nocones SuperDork
8/15/13 11:00 a.m.

<--secretly excited by possible 4th gen hybrid MR2

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
8/15/13 11:01 a.m.

New MR2 =

New RWD Camry =

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
8/15/13 11:31 a.m.

Doubt they would ever have 3 sports cars in their line-up simultaneously. I could see 2 - low end and high end halo type car but not 3 sports cars.

On the other hand, would be nice to see a RWD Corolla-ish type car so that us enthusiasts don't have to drive a WrongWD car as a DD. Why should Cadillac, BMW and Benz be the only car makers with RWD luxo sedan options. Never understood that...

corytate
corytate SuperDork
8/15/13 12:26 p.m.

I feel like if they have two sports cars in their lineup at the same time it'll be @ 25k with the frs, and probably something like 50k with whatever else. Probably something not that exciting, like a more boring version of GM's new SS (auto trans only of course)
Anything they come out with in the same range as the fr-s is just going to be a competitor so they won't do that, it'll have to be +- $10k and we all know it wont be a $15k rwd m/t fun car

corytate
corytate SuperDork
8/15/13 12:26 p.m.

if they come out with a new starlet, though, I'm in.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
8/15/13 1:01 p.m.

I want a 4/5 passenger wagon or sedan hatch (Audi A7 type thing) based on the FRS/BRZ. It doesn't need to be much bigger for me than the Frisbee twins, but back seat space approximately like my Mazda3 would be sufficiently ample for my needs.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
8/15/13 1:27 p.m.

Whatever the smaller one's gonna be, it can't possibly be more than two seats. The FR-S itself is a four-seater only by technicality. Fitting four human bodies in there is comfortable for no one.

A RWD Corolla almost already exists. Lexus IS series. I'd suspect the larger RWD Toyota-branded car would be based on that platform. Also, it opens up the options for wicked sleepers. Cressida, anyone?

You naysayers suffer from a lack of imagination.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
8/15/13 1:45 p.m.

In reply to Alan Cesar: Now THAT makes me smile!

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
8/15/13 1:54 p.m.

The IS needs a manual trans...

Does anyone beyond the JDM crowd think that Cressida is fugly? That was just never a looker...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/15/13 1:58 p.m.

I gave up on Toyota a long time ago. Hope it happens...............don't think it will.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
8/15/13 1:59 p.m.

I believe the IS is available with a manual trans but only with the smaller motor (250) and 2wd. It isn't available with the larger motor (350) and awd. I know of someone who has one and they seem to enjoy it.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
8/15/13 2:06 p.m.
92dxman wrote: I believe the IS is available with a manual trans but only with the smaller motor (250) and 2wd. It isn't available with the larger motor (350) and awd. I know of someone who has one and they seem to enjoy it.

i prefer the slower and better (imo at least) is300. It's like the age old e36 v e46 m3 argument. e36 is better, even though the 46 is faster in every way.
the newer is looks good though, they just should have made a m/t rwd 350 version. maybe f sport will do it.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
8/15/13 2:34 p.m.

Names just announced: For the larger car: NGH (Not Gonna Happen)

For the smaller - a reuse of FC (Fat Chance)

I really don't see Toyota investing more money in RWD sports cars while the FRS/BRS is still selling well. If it continues to sell well, the bean counters will say there is no need to build anything else. If it stops selling well, the bean counters will say it was never needed in the first place.

That said, they did build the LFA, so who knows?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
8/15/13 3:09 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: The IS needs a manual trans... Does anyone beyond the JDM crowd think that Cressida is fugly? That was just never a looker...

I think the "ugly sleeper" factor is the reason they get built in the first place.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
8/15/13 3:17 p.m.
BAMF wrote: I want a 4/5 passenger wagon or sedan hatch (Audi A7 type thing) based on the FRS/BRZ. It doesn't need to be much bigger for me than the Frisbee twins, but back seat space approximately like my Mazda3 would be sufficiently ample for my needs.

So... you want a RWD WRX with a sloped hatch?

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
8/15/13 3:23 p.m.
The0retical wrote: Watch the Hybrid-R be an FR-S with a KERS system rated to 400 HP... Or a RWD Corolla. http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/toyota-hybrid-r-concept-frankfurt-motor-show-2013-08-13 I'm holding out hope for a new RX-7 more than a new Supra since it seems more likely.

Kind of like this?!?!?!?!?

There is still the16X in development (for ages it seems) and no mfg would design something without making anything.

I asked the Japanese guys at work to translate and in summary it says "the return of the RX7"

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
8/15/13 3:29 p.m.
corytate wrote:
92dxman wrote: I believe the IS is available with a manual trans but only with the smaller motor (250) and 2wd. It isn't available with the larger motor (350) and awd. I know of someone who has one and they seem to enjoy it.
i prefer the slower and better (imo at least) is300. It's like the age old e36 v e46 m3 argument. e36 is better, even though the 46 is faster in every way. the newer is looks good though, they just should have made a m/t rwd 350 version. maybe f sport will do it.

The IS300 was a fantastic car, I miss mine dearly.

kreb
kreb SuperDork
8/15/13 3:31 p.m.

My gut reaction is that's the ugliest RX7 yet.

nocones
nocones SuperDork
8/15/13 3:36 p.m.

That RX-7 is as ugly as the 3rd Gen RX-7 was pretty.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
8/15/13 3:37 p.m.
kreb wrote: My gut reaction is that's the ugliest RX7 yet.

all concepts are ugly in my opinion. (well 99% of them)

When I showed this image to the Japanese guys they were a little sad that the rx7 would loose its pop up lights because that was there signature styling.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
8/15/13 4:51 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: There is still the16X in development (for ages it seems) and no mfg would design something without making anything.

No, that pretty much happens all the time. Maybe they'll salvage some stuff they developed for it, but if they don't think it could sell, they won't build just because they've already sunk a bunch a money. "Don't spend good money after bad" as the saying goes.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
olZ7XwBQSRFuYx0YLEbpeCMXnnG2YNxyiSb4qlXPobPHUDKBpMmPIl3yJO7tglGT