1 2
solfly
solfly Reader
6/3/14 8:51 a.m.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
6/3/14 9:13 a.m.

What generation MR2 did you look at? I'm 6'2", so not quite your height, but the second generation MR2 is the only car I've ever sat in since I got my license where I could slide the seat back so far I couldn't reach the pedals. The first and third generations aren't as roomy.

A C4 Corvette might also work, with a race seat.

Or how about a BMW M5?

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
6/3/14 9:21 a.m.

I've never tried the MR2 … but there was a Prelude some time in the mid '90's that I could run the seat all the way back and not be able to reach the pedals

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
6/3/14 9:56 a.m.

In reply to turboswede:
If nothing else this 'BS thinking' helps keep demand (and costs) down for you, right?
I've heard nothing but good things... they just don't appeal to me.

D_Eclipse9916
D_Eclipse9916 New Reader
6/3/14 10:23 a.m.

E36 will only fit tall guys with different seats than factory. I am 6'2 and fit plenty with a cage. My friend who is around 7' tall had the shop build him custom mounts and at 6'2 I couldnt properlyy reach the pedals and was so low I could barely see over the wheel. (His car is for sale, but it is a dedicated race car).

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
6/3/14 4:06 p.m.

Did you try a SN95 Mustang, or is that option out because of the 4.6? I am only 6' but with the Fox bodies I had the seat all the way back, and the SN95 it is only 3/4 way back so there must be a difference in seat position.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/3/14 4:46 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: What generation MR2 did you look at? I'm 6'2", so not quite your height, but the second generation MR2 is the only car I've ever sat in since I got my license where I could slide the seat back so far I couldn't reach the pedals. The first and third generations aren't as roomy. A C4 Corvette might also work, with a race seat. Or how about a BMW M5?

Second the M5 sentiment

Fast2L
Fast2L New Reader
6/3/14 6:50 p.m.

I haven't tried the S95 Mustang, really legs aren't usually my issue. It always comes down to head room with a helmet. Sounds like I need to go sit in prepped E36 and see how I fit.

On the MR2 it, it was a second gen but had a cage which took up a lot of room.

A lot of people have been suggesting M5/M6, but with the weight on those the consumables are immense. Sometimes thinking about this I'm tempted to make my Mk1 GTI into a mid-engined car. I fit in there perfectly.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/3/14 7:09 p.m.
Fast2L wrote: I haven't tried the S95 Mustang, really legs aren't usually my issue. It always comes down to head room with a helmet. Sounds like I need to go sit in prepped E36 and see how I fit. On the MR2 it, it was a second gen but had a cage which took up a lot of room. A lot of people have been suggesting M5/M6, but with the weight on those the consumables are immense. Sometimes thinking about this I'm tempted to make my Mk1 GTI into a mid-engined car. I fit in there perfectly.

That would be a phenomenal build thread.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
6/3/14 7:29 p.m.
Fast2L wrote: I haven't tried the S95 Mustang, really legs aren't usually my issue. It always comes down to head room with a helmet. Sounds like I need to go sit in prepped E36 and see how I fit.

Here is an easy way to "test fit" yourself:
- Grab a tape measure and a friend or wife
- Put your helmet on
- Sit on a hard floor (wood, tile, concrete) near a wall or doorway
- Measure from the floor to the top of your helmet. Take a couple of measurements since you'll be slouching a bit when sitting in a seat instead of with your back against a wall
- Go to your car of choice with the tape measure, move the seat forward and measure from the floor around where you think your but would be to the ceiling

This should give you a good idea of whether there is physically room to fit. Keep a few things in mind:
- there is often a good 1" of space under the carpet if you decide to remove it
- removing the head liner can yield a little space also if needed
- racing seat will be mounted on custom brackets so you can basically mount it to the floor boards with the proper reinforcement plates (see link below)

Good luck.

This is what your typical race seat mount looks like: http://www.saferacer.com/planted-universal-side-mount
Backing plate for the bolts that attach the seat bracket to floor board: http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-gf100-mounting-back-up-plate

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FfXKwxk5IyIpCqQYIq8GiBBf3nYvuBXufc6B5yg3CETnuwJ9mmgJKlfFBeVNXEWg