mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/18/20 1:10 p.m.

This may be the most pointless thread on the board... I would have never thought to make a post about it except for the fact that with the free time afforded by the Mexican Beer Flu, I'm cleaning out the garage and came across these.

I have 3 of these around, and they all have holes so that you can mount them somewhere. While I could understand that in a boat or even a third-vehicle, what two of them are cheapo's that (a) I wouldn't use as a permanent installation, and (b) don't even have an option to hardwire them in - just clamps. So are they intended to be mounted to the wall or ceiling? Seems like they'd never really be in the right spot though. Am I missing something? Would love to get rid of clutter and have it permanently installed, but I just don't see how it would work for more than 1 application at a time.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
3/18/20 1:46 p.m.

Mounting them in the car? My Pcar has the trickle charger permanently placed near the battery and hardwired by the PO.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/18/20 1:49 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

Mounting them in the car? My Pcar has the trickle charger permanently placed near the battery and hardwired by the PO.

Right, but why would a charger that only has alligator clips have this option?

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
3/18/20 1:54 p.m.

because its cheaper to reuse the case as is instead of creating a new one sans hole for Harbor Freight, etc.?

it could also be there to provide a way to hang them up out of the way when not in use or while being used on a boat or large vehicle?

Don49
Don49 Dork
3/18/20 5:39 p.m.

You can cut off the alligator clips and replace then with ring terminals. Mount the charger, attach the ring terminals and Bob's your uncle.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
3/18/20 6:06 p.m.

I like the way my chargers handle this.  I have 2 of these chargers and a pigtail in every car.  The pigtail attached to the battery with ring terminals.  The plug has a splash proof cap too. 

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
3/18/20 6:08 p.m.

I have mine mounted to the wall of my trailer with the holes. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w0ytoZgLPbXBCUT2ukelp4SoIYmaHgI16fbyEuH6TOzI0VAROUIhBPr5fvjFbANn