The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
2/13/19 8:30 a.m.

This article is from a past issue of the magazine. Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published, and get access to our full digital archive, by subscribing to Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Story and Photos by Jack Heideman

At some point, everyone encounter…

Read the rest of the story

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
2/13/19 9:01 a.m.

The last one I had it was out of gas , but the gauge said 1/4 !

Crawl under the car and tap the tank if you can get to it :)

FPZguy
FPZguy New Reader
2/13/19 3:48 p.m.

Good article!

f1carguy
f1carguy
2/3/21 6:26 p.m.

After paying $770 for a shop to replace my Volvo XC70 fuel pump, the car  stopped dead when I pulled off the Interstate at a gas station. After a while it cooled off and I got it started again. The problem was really the fuel pressure sensor! $57 and a 10mm wrench was the fix. If you have a high mileage car just replace the three key sensors - fuel, cam shaft and crank shaft, about $120-$200 total and play it safe.   

APEowner
APEowner Dork
2/4/21 7:30 a.m.

Hmm.  I thought you were supposed to ask on the internet in a way that's worded to insult the entire mechanic profession, ignore the advice on how to actually troubleshoot the problem and replace every part that's mentioned as having once caused random other cars to not start.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/4/21 9:38 a.m.

Here are some that you missed:

1. The car has a security system with a magnet that must be applied to the A-pillar to close a hidden switch.
  2. The shift-park interlock switch broke, disabling the starter circuit.
  3. The gas from the spare can you added was full of dead spiders and pine needles and has clogged the fuel lines.
  4. The PO was not an electrical genius, you must have the radio on to start the car, but the headlights must be off.
  5. Yes, that key fits in the ignition and allows it to turn, but it is for your other Impala and won't start this one.
t321sg
t321sg New Reader
4/17/21 4:15 p.m.

Just because you have fuel coming out the line, doesn't mean its getting fuel at the right pressure. For fuel injected cars, you should put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kdRCjljwByHqxLmbxDZw1p99o8Rh2JD6uFRZTZbcgb02IWOR7sCW2HOOxsKX2Hz5