AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/3/22 8:53 p.m.

My first car was a truck.  My 2nd car was a truck.  They were both S10s.  The first one was a 2.8 and the 2nd one was a 4.3.  I've always wanted a 454 SS or 1st gen Lightning, but honestly they are just too much now.  And I always though I would get an OBS / GMT400 stepside and build it into a fun truck.  Then I remembered or learned about the Dodge Shelby Dakota.  It's smaller, and Shelby is a true TX legend.  I too am Texan.

So while looking around on the web, I learned about this! 

Now I very much want to combine both of these.  I owned a 2015 Ram Express with a 375 hp Gen III hemi.  It was fast for a big heavy truck.  Imagine what it would do in an older smaller Dakota.  I think it's would be Shelby approved. 

So I decided as much as I like my MR2 I got from a member here, after the challenge in 2022, I'm going to sell it.  I will need the space and I will need to find a Shelby Dakota.  This would just be a fun thing to drive around and do things like the Hot Rod Power tour, Car guys or other such type events.  I don't care how clapped out the Dakota is, but I do want all the original Shelby parts to start with and low on rust.  I can get it painted or make a run at it myself.  Keep your eyes out for them in decent shape and preferably in the southeast US to TX. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/3/22 8:57 p.m.

I will admit to having bad thoughts about a Dakota short bed single cab and more horsepower.

Dimensionally, they are not that big. 

They have a solid axle in back that probably has room for improvement, and DWB up front that I think just need some frame clearance to go lower(?) 

They can fit a ton of tire

They can fit a lot of engine

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
2/3/22 9:28 p.m.

Correct me if I misunderstand but your goal is to put the hemi into the Dakota?   If so why pay Shelby tax to start?  Outside of the V8 swap (and the original was grossly underpowered) the rest is just some body kit stuff which could be replicated in the aftermarket, a limited slip (again aftermarket) and custom seats (is the juice worth the squeeze?)   If you want to build a custom Dak based on a modern hemi it seems it would be money better spent to find a standard example and build it rather than pay shelby tax for something then modify it from stock which reduces the "collector" value of a shelby truck.

2/3/22 10:02 p.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

I hear you.  But the Shelby tax is pretty low on these, and they aren't amazingly collectible although they are quite rare.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
2/4/22 12:24 a.m.

I saw you post also about wanting a chevy stepside.

71 Chevy stepside, V8, manual, running, Ennis, TX

This would make a fun driver. 

2/4/22 8:40 p.m.

I really do love old C10s.  Ennis isn't far either.  I'm not sure about the fuel setup in that truck.  I'm looking for things a little more stock.  I'm not looking to build anything crazy or too crazy anyway.  I also probably need to wait until I sell the challenge car or at least get into the new house.  I'm going to have to see how the big driveway, 3 car garage and single or double four post lift work out for me. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
2/5/22 2:06 a.m.

That 71 Stepside would make a great Hot Wheels or Matchbox!

Our Preferred Partners
znnD7OgHgpENt4ginotnZqhtfMJjT0xWFGuaU6YnL0iviuYrPXKDUDJcLYwMbqZw