iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
12/8/18 6:44 p.m.

Everything in Texas is bigger.

Just ask any Texan.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
12/9/18 2:20 p.m.

Aren't there trims/packages/stuff that are available by region and not available elsewhere?

As far as I know, the 2008 Forester XT in WRB was not available in the Southeast. The few in the area that I know of were driven in from other regional markets.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/11/18 11:38 a.m.

Here is all I've been able to find. - In 2016 there were 1,900,000 Full sized pickups sold in America and only 364,000 Midsized PUs and ZERO compact PUs, simply because they don't sell any compacts over here.

The distribution of full sized to compact size is pretty even except that Colorado seems to have the most compact.

Ignoring the rest of this thread, that is interesting info. I'm curious about the Colorado thing but it would be hard to get any guesses that didn't involve some serious snark. Maybe the prevalence of trails that would be tough to fit a modern 'full size' through? Or maybe when every drive involves an elevation change a full size truck becomes expensive to operate. I'm probably mostly wrong. cheeky

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 Reader
12/11/18 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Probably because people from Colorado bought more Colorado's because the Colorado is obviously optimized for Colorado.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/11/18 12:36 p.m.
Vigo said:

Maybe the prevalence of trails that would be tough to fit a modern 'full size' through?

Fitting down a trail isn't the even the biggest impediment to offroad ability for a big truck, that would be breakover angle - the longer the vehicle (well technically the more wheelbase, but length or even overall vehicle size correlates closely), the more ground clearance you need to get a decent breakover angle. If the vehicle gets much bigger than an old 4Runner the amount of ground clearance needed quickly becomes silly. That's why side-by-sides skitter over everything like miniature Ultra4 Unlimited rigs even though they have about as much ground clearance as a lifted Forester, while you'll have to be careful not to beach the new Jeep Gladiator every time you crest a hill devilcheeky

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/11/18 2:01 p.m.

Having been to NYC if I saw a full sized 2500/3500 on the streets I would not believe my eyes that it actually can get around and not hit anyone. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/11/18 2:06 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Having been to NYC if I saw a full sized 2500/3500 on the streets I would not believe my eyes that it actually can get around and not hit anyone. 

I know, right? You can truly appreciate how massive those trucks are on cramped streets. If they'd thought the trucks were smaller in Texas that would be more understandable.

By me if an American truck comes through, everyone needs to make room...and gape in awe at the driver's gas budget.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
12/11/18 2:14 p.m.

Michigan trucks are the same size and the ones in other states but they are lighter...eventually.   

Oh, and faster due to our lack of restrictions on modifications. 

Oh, and they all sound like E36 M3 because all trucks need to have straight pipes with no cats or mufflers, this part really bothers me, why not at least use a bullet or resonator for some sound.

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
12/11/18 7:59 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

I've spent a lot of time in NY, both in the city and upstate. My observation and opinion: some of the New Yorkers seemed unable to get past their own preconceptions.

From the 20 year old in the Rochester area who asked me if we had television in Florida, to the counter guy in the deli in Yonkers who loudly called me out because I wanted both mustard and mayonnaise on a sandwich.

I once had a New Yorker ask if we had recycling in VA... 

CJ
CJ Reader
12/11/18 8:51 p.m.

Managed a bank in Juneau and received several calls from people wanting to "exchange their US money"...  Most seemed to be from New York

Wally
Wally MegaDork
12/11/18 10:07 p.m.
fiesta54 said:
Floating Doc said:

I've spent a lot of time in NY, both in the city and upstate. My observation and opinion: some of the New Yorkers seemed unable to get past their own preconceptions.

From the 20 year old in the Rochester area who asked me if we had television in Florida, to the counter guy in the deli in Yonkers who loudly called me out because I wanted both mustard and mayonnaise on a sandwich.

I once had a New Yorker ask if we had recycling in VA... 

Well? Do you?

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
12/12/18 1:55 a.m.

I agree with all of this, but I must now state it in slightly different words, and with a haughty tone, as if I were actually disagreeing. Probably while also being condescending, and maybe insulting. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jbyjUDQH9uo802fxwWgA5WXo6i3ILCxdq7NaoS6cNF4KbHay7Es4emtqLSz6AJl6