1 2
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/15/20 12:10 p.m.

Since we got the S4 it was time to sell the A4. The high bidder for my T-Bird Turbo Coupe on eBay didn't pay and it was a hassle to get the auction costs refunded and faceboof marketplace has been a disaster, so I'm trying something new. We're auctioning the A4 on carsandbids.com, Doug DeMuro's site.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3yazNga3/2011-audi-a4-20t-quattro-sedan

It's got 7 days and a reserve...

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/15/20 12:39 p.m.

Nice . Good  luck with it! 

I still only do BAT and do all no reserve. Now that one the biggest BAT seller has died, market opened up quite a bit. 

I have 4  flips coming up (international scout, Impala ss, land cruiser, civic si). I want all mine post January and I want to catch the Biden stimulus + tax money refund crowd. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/15/20 12:41 p.m.

I just sent this to brother Dustin who is soon to flip a 1 owner 93 civic hatch thats mint. Hes thinking auction.. 

12/15/20 1:28 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I sold my L98-swapped Jaguar XJ-S on BaT years ago and it was a great experience. Then they didn't want to sell my mint Rambler convertible and then they've kind of jumped the shark since then. Lots of really high end cars and disdain for modifications.

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/15/20 1:38 p.m.

When did you get a scout?? 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports HalfDork
12/15/20 2:28 p.m.

Heard about Bruce, he had lots of nice stuff

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/15/20 2:29 p.m.
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) said:

When did you get a scout?? 

Had it for about 10 years. It's in such pieces you would have been embarrassed to see it - when you were over at the house. 

however now that market is hot - makes sense to spend the $ and ride the wave - scout is in paint booth and a very nice 70s original color. Will be out of booth Jan 7th and then straight to BAT to cash it in 

In reply to Placemotorsports :

Great guy too. He resold one of my 100s on there for top dollar 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/15/20 2:33 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

I sold my L98-swapped Jaguar XJ-S on BaT years ago and it was a great experience. Then they didn't want to sell my mint Rambler convertible and then they've kind of jumped the shark since then. Lots of really high end cars and disdain for modifications.

Yeah stuff I sell there is Unmodified and mint . Modified stuff is Craigslist 

12/15/20 2:49 p.m.

You might want to check out how Land Cruisers have done on C&B. They are at a 100% sell rate.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/15/20 3:26 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Yup I follow. With my no reserve, all my cars are 100% sell  rate wink

that said I prefer the BAT crowd. Lots more $. Nothing personal to my friend Doug - he knows it 

12/20/20 2:51 p.m.

Update: I have two different bidders going back and forth and have fielded dozens of questions from both. Up to $3,100 with 2 days left. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/20/20 2:53 p.m.

Woohoo!! Hope you get some major mooolah

i am buying two cars in your neighborhood - cars at port now. If I personally go up - instead of shipper - I will come say hi to you . 

12/20/20 6:37 p.m.

There's a ride waiting for you in the Z06!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/21/20 1:22 p.m.

So, how's the auction still going? 

12/21/20 2:53 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Still good. It ends tomorrow morning. If a bid happens with less than 60 seconds left it adds 60 seconds to the clock. I have been fielding questions from three very serious buyers, two of whom are in the local-ish areas. So far, so good.

12/21/20 4:31 p.m.

We just watched three bidders have an hour-long shootout and are now at $4,800. The really interesting thing we figured out is that you can click on their profiles and see everything they've ever commented on, and bid on. Not only which cars, but how many bids, and what max price. From there it's easy to determine who is serious (high bids, numerous bids, cars located geographically around them) and who's just playing around. We have a bidder that's in the NW and just lost getting a Golf R, a bidder who has only been zeroed in on our car, and someone else in the NW who had sold their S3 earlier in the year on the site and are now looking for a commuter.

12/22/20 10:02 a.m.

2.5 hours left, $5,400, and 4 bidders in the mix. We are getting close to reserve, and I have the option to drop it.

12/22/20 1:36 p.m.

Aaaand that sucked. After all that early action none of the four bidders was actually the high bidder, in fact they disappeared completely, and we got nowhere near the reserve. Cars and bids is trying to work out something but we're thousands apart.

So now I guess sit on it until tax time?

spandak
spandak HalfDork
12/22/20 1:43 p.m.

I was looking at the some of past auctions on there and at first glance it looks like some people got some screaming deals. It looks like a buyers site, maybe not the best for sellers. Hope it works out, thats a nice looking Audi.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/22/20 1:53 p.m.

If it were me, I would add the car to ebay right away. Be clear in the listing what city you are in. Also list the car on FB and CL in that city. 

Coming off nationwide attention that the auction brings, see if you can draw the potential buyers into direct conversation outside of the auction fees. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/22/20 2:00 p.m.

Sorry to hear it didn't sell, I think it's a great car and you've done all the right maintenance. Do you think it had anything to do with it being the week of Christmas?

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
12/22/20 3:26 p.m.
spandak said:

I was looking at the some of past auctions on there and at first glance it looks like some people got some screaming deals. It looks like a buyers site, maybe not the best for sellers. Hope it works out, thats a nice looking Audi.

That's the trouble with new and growing sites...less traffic means less buyers. That's where BaT had the right strategy, building up a following before transitioning into an auction site. Now even if the majority of its participants aren't actually buyers, it all gets enough attention to attract the right buyer for every car...and even then pretty regularly it doesn't work out and a car goes cheap or misses its reserve by a long shot (sometimes a ridiculously high reserve, sometimes a fair price that just no interest for materialized). Plus this is a weird time to be buying/selling cars, lots of people are busy/spent out from holiday stuff, and lots of people aren't interested in unnecessary travel, ie buying a car from a far corner of the country.

12/22/20 5:34 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

That's a good idea. The main bidder/question asker reached out directly. I'll see if anything materializes today, and if not I'll list it everywhere tonight.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/23/20 10:13 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

Aaaand that sucked. After all that early action none of the four bidders was actually the high bidder, in fact they disappeared completely, and we got nowhere near the reserve. Cars and bids is trying to work out something but we're thousands apart.

So now I guess sit on it until tax time?

Sorry to hear my friend.

YUuuuup 

thus I don't sell on that site and don't give daddy doug my money 

12/23/20 10:28 a.m.

BaT won't take this one

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oAChTf8UvIGtxikPUQ646ZqMRujCmNs9QsPZ4tmux3OEIueFeA68DfXJM7xoreud