ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
8/24/12 9:58 p.m.

I know, it's one of those what car thread.. It's kinda a spin off of my other thread. I understand that a car is not an investment and that it'll lose it's value. Having said that I'm trying to find a replacement for my '08 GTI that meets the following criteria - all compared to an '08 GTI:

• '08 model year or newer and costs less than $20k
  • Cheaper to own for the next 5 years (i.e. more reliable and holds its value better)
  • Gets the same or better mileage
  • Has 4 doors
  • Automatic (this is a must since my wife may need to occasionally drive it plus she let me have a dedicated fun car, see next bullet point)
  • Somewhat fun to drive (its not too high on the list since I have a '96 Miata as my toy car).

From my research I concluded that Acura TSX is my best option. I'm specifically thinking about '09 model with slightly higher mileage since that's the first year of the current model so it looks like the '12 TSX and should look new for a while.

Can you guys think of a better option?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/25/12 3:29 a.m.

No argument from me, I like the TSX and it fits all your criteria.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/25/12 5:59 a.m.

Those are pretty wide parameters so there are a lot of choices out there, but the TSX is a nice car and should do well for your needs.

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
8/25/12 8:37 a.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: Those are pretty wide parameters so there are a lot of choices out there, but the TSX is a nice car and should do well for your needs.

Somehow I couldn't actually think of anything else...the only other one I could think of was the '08 or newer G35 (the one with the newer body and interior) but it's hard to find one of these for less than $20k.

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
8/26/12 2:36 a.m.

There is a 2010 TSX with 11k miles on it at the local Honda dealer here. It is fully loaded and they're only asking 23,900 I believe. Super nice car, was owned by their finance manager.

petegossett
petegossett UltraDork
8/26/12 7:18 a.m.

TSX SH is in my list. Unfortunately, I'll only be able to afford a 10-yr old beater. :(

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
8/26/12 9:03 a.m.

I might be the odd man out but I prefer to buy base models that are new rather than a loaded up model that is used.

I got a stripped (not really) Accord for just under $20,000 (out the door) that meets all your criteria. Oh, WAIT; you said FUN to drive. My bad.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
8/26/12 9:33 a.m.
TSX SH is in my list. Unfortunately, I'll only be able to afford a 10-yr old beater. :(

If im buying cars that are only 10 yrs old they're not going to be my beater. lol

petegossett
petegossett UltraDork
8/26/12 8:42 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

My point was even at 10-years old, it would have to be a beater for me to afford it! lol

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tGPIQtpoxRvOWOWwbRB3ZOGWDMZcKMNQRGSmYm9lNPsSNpno8syB5eQMH2VJO61E