1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/12/13 10:12 a.m.

New rules, new title sponsor:

http://www.grand-am.com/News/GA_News/tabid/141/Article/54220/tudor-named-entitlement-partner-for-imsas-sportscar-championship.aspx

Rolex is still part of the mix, but looks like they're using sports car racing to promote their Tudor brand.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
9/12/13 10:42 a.m.

I came in expecting this:

Leaving highly disappointed.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
9/12/13 10:48 a.m.

Who the hell is Tudor? And just for the record, I'm not big on entitlements...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/12/13 10:49 a.m.

Me too...

 photo ModelATudor013_zps8b0244f7.jpg

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/12/13 11:33 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Who the hell is Tudor? And just for the record, I'm not big on entitlements...

Tudor is a watch company that's part of the Rolex family. I also noticed "entitlement," but at the same time sponsor is starting to pick up negative connotations. In fact, I have a friend in this business who hates--hates!--that word. Why? Because it implies a one-way street. When I sponsor your bike-a-thon, I'm not really expecting anything in return. If I'm going to back your racing effort, now I want something back--now we're talking about becoming a marketing partner. I know, a small difference, but kind of important when it's a big part of your personal business.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
9/12/13 12:06 p.m.

RANT

"marketing partner" really? too much time spent on SELLING the product... and not near enough time designing/manufacturing/perfecting the product.

And "sponsoring" is never a 1 way street... the "sponsor" gets publicity.... and a huge E36M3 and what else we use on GRM to disguise angered words... TAX BREAK......

Now they want more? DEAD BEAT WASTES of human flesh

RANTOVER

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/12/13 12:19 p.m.

Wow, an awesome rant. Not sure what it all means, though.

I love this board.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
9/12/13 12:27 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
bravenrace wrote: Who the hell is Tudor? And just for the record, I'm not big on entitlements...
Tudor is a watch company that's part of the Rolex family. I also noticed "entitlement," but at the same time sponsor is starting to pick up negative connotations. In fact, I have a friend in this business who hates--hates!--that word. Why? Because it implies a one-way street. When I sponsor your bike-a-thon, I'm not really expecting anything in return. If I'm going to back your racing effort, now I want something back--now we're talking about becoming a marketing partner. I know, a small difference, but kind of important when it's a big part of your personal business.

Pun intended?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/12/13 12:34 p.m.

I love puns. Sadly, I didn't hand that one over on purpose.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/12/13 12:35 p.m.

Bigger picture, it's nice that a company with an office on Fifth Avenue is still involved in sports car racing. Love it or hate it, racing runs on money.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
9/12/13 12:37 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Bigger picture, it's nice that a company with an office on Fifth Avenue is still involved in sports car racing. Love it or hate it, racing runs on money.

I cannot find a pun in that comment. Good point though.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/12/13 1:31 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to David S. Wallens: I cannot find a pun in that comment. Good point though.

Thanks. I guess that wasn't my best pun.

I love puns. Sadly, I didn't hand that one over on purpose.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
9/12/13 1:38 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
bravenrace wrote: In reply to David S. Wallens: I cannot find a pun in that comment. Good point though.
Thanks. I guess that wasn't my best pun. I love puns. Sadly, I didn't hand that one over on purpose.

I feel like you tried to wind that one out a little much.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
9/12/13 1:43 p.m.

hey y'all, this watch.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/12/13 2:11 p.m.

just went to the Tudor website- very heavy on the "lifestyle" idea of watch style.

It will be interesting to see where this goes- at least Rolex is a known overpriced watch. Whereas Tudor seems to, well, have the owners think they are somehow James Bond.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/12/13 2:15 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: hey y'all, this watch.

Drapes hootus over wrist

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/12/13 2:19 p.m.

Ladies version huh

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
9/12/13 3:26 p.m.

never heard of them .... but I don't even wear a Timex much less a Rolex LOL

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
9/12/13 3:30 p.m.
wbjones wrote: never heard of them ....

..thus the reason for the sponsorship.

Marketing Win!

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
9/12/13 3:58 p.m.

yeah, it's like watching F1 (and for that matter NASCAR) and GA/ALMS and not having a clue who/what some of the sponsors are .... at least with me they're not getting much ROI

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
9/13/13 1:31 p.m.

Who wears watches anymore? Seems redundant with cell phones, iPods and all.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
9/13/13 1:36 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Who wears watches anymore? Seems redundant with cell phones, iPods and all.

Nursing students! Can't use a cell to time a patient's respirations or pulse without one.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
9/13/13 1:39 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
bravenrace wrote: Who wears watches anymore? Seems redundant with cell phones, iPods and all.
Nursing students! Can't use a cell to time a patient's respirations or pulse without one.

Sure you can, just use the stopwatch app built into the phone.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
9/13/13 1:49 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: Bigger picture, it's nice that a company with an office on Fifth Avenue is still involved in sports car racing. Love it or hate it, racing runs on money.
I cannot find a pun in that comment. Good point though.

No pun but here's a picture of a fifth avenue.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/13/13 1:50 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Who wears watches anymore? Seems redundant with cell phones, iPods and all.

It's jewelry for men. I've always wondered why there's such a close connection between racing and watch makers, as it doesn't seem to make sense.

I can see the connection though---- most serious racers have lots of expendable income and they spend it on mechanical things. These are the same guys who buy $10K watches. (Hey....I want a watch just like the one Hurley Haywood won for winning the Rolex 24!)

It's funny--- at places like Monterey you'll have all these millionaire car guys comparing their watches. It's strange and with cell-phones completely unnecessary---- but still amusing. It's the same thing as women admiring each other's expensive shoes or handbags.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
iD3VXEPYg3YdlkH8yXpjfX7qg05Lt8fijygCZ9zcfa8L8VGJgF9tBPfgCZQAodgC