1 2
2002z28ssconv
2002z28ssconv New Reader
5/19/12 8:26 a.m.

I'll definitely do that. The turbo will be pretty much shut off for autocrossing. My last Fiero racer only had a 2.8 and dynoed 97hp so having the 3800 with just a few pounds of boost should really be a kick in the seat.

2002z28ssconv
2002z28ssconv New Reader
8/6/12 6:16 p.m.

Been busy opening a new business so not too much progress. But I did do a bit of polishing on the housing. Meet the world's fastest (and most expensive) pencil cup.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
8/6/12 11:42 p.m.

Very nice!

RossD
RossD UltraDork
8/7/12 8:06 a.m.

I like the cut of your jib.

2002z28ssconv
2002z28ssconv New Reader
10/28/12 8:27 p.m.

Sorry for neglecting my build thread. Here's the latest...

Over the past couple months I have been able to squeeze a few hours into the project here and there.

I chopped the engine bay off another Fiero (The 86 that I stripped for parts).

I proceeded to drop the engine bay around the engine assembly.

Bolted all the other bits on to see how much space I had to play with.

The exhaust exit from the turbo was too close to the strut tower. This setup will be going into an 88 and their strut towers are tipped inward about another inch. So while this might have barely worked on the 86 it won't in my 88. So it's time to modify the crossover tube where the turbo flange was welded on. I used zip ties to get an idea of where I wanted to make the cut, then sharpied the line before removing it from the car.

And that's where it sat for several weeks.

... Eventually, I got the turbo mounting flange tack welded back on. I'll take it to someone with a bigger welder and better skills than mine to finish the welding job. But the turbo is now back inside the car and I'm saying... hmmmm... what's next...

I had some refund money in the PayPal account so off to eBay I went. I found a bunch of silicone couplers and the liquid-to-air intercooler that I had my eye on. A few long days later, "Brown Santa" brought me presents. Angels sang. Clouds dispersed. And all was well with the world... wel maybe that's a stretch... but anyway, here's the new shiny stuff...

Now I'm off to build some mounting brackets and cut som 3" PVC to connect all the plumbing. Yes, the PVC will be replaced with aluminum as soon as I determine the exact lengths needed.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
10/28/12 8:29 p.m.

Too cool. It's good to see you making progress

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon HalfDork
10/28/12 8:42 p.m.

Despite my deep hatred for fieros, this is a great build. Keep up the good work!

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/29/12 7:16 a.m.

I saw my first fiero on the road in a long time yesterday.. and today this build thread comes back to life... coincidence?

I am interested in the air to water intercooler.. that looks cool

wspohn
wspohn Reader
10/29/12 5:07 p.m.

I run a 1988 turbo GT. I think that using the V6-60 would have made things simpler, although you'd have had to be satisfied with maybe 300 BHP with a 3.4 engine (to have it reliable for street and competition). But that would only get you a 13 flat or so 1/4, so.....

2002z28ssconv
2002z28ssconv New Reader
10/29/12 7:08 p.m.

In reply to wspohn: I already have the supercharged 3800 in the car, so 3800 Turbo is the next logical mutation.

2002z28ssconv
2002z28ssconv New Reader
10/29/12 7:16 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine: It's pretty simple really. There is a reservoir that holds a few gallons of water. A 3/4" hose runs down to the bottom of the intercooler. The cool water acts like a reversed heater core, cooling the pressurized air. A 3/4" hose comes out the top of the intercooler and runs to a mini-radiator (heat exchanger) at the front of the car. The water gets cooled by air flow. Another 3/4" hose sents the water back to the reservoir with the help of a pump that's similar to what you'd find feeding a livewell in a fishing boat. The reservoir has a wide opening in the top so that ice can be dumped in for supercooling at the drag strip. I chose the L2A setup because there isn't a good place to mount an air to air setup in a Fiero. Plus, I think the ice cold water will help get that last drop of power when I go to the drag strip.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eoHX08VS13ZD6Ep71Q27PqlupBmckOFi4eRTUFFxqqSsSOg7R2znyy25Oslf0uoS