1 2
Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
4/19/13 8:40 a.m.

Chrysler was using water-cooled turbos back in the '80s.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
4/19/13 9:23 a.m.

If I remember correctly, the model "T" had thermo syphon cooling.

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
4/19/13 9:57 a.m.
Vigo wrote:
Counter nit-picks: If the center section temperature is below the boiling point of coolant, then it's well below the coking temp of oil, and so not really hot enough to be a concern.
I agree. I think i mis-took your use of the word 'limited' to mean that the system would stop cooling once coolant was below the boiling point (and im not even sure coolant ever boils in the center section to begin with), which to be honest was an assumption of a misunderstanding you clearly dont suffer from, so my apologies.

And my apologies if I came on too strong, AFIK, we were engaged in a 'sprited but but respectful' exchange of ideas.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
4/19/13 10:49 a.m.

I do not like turbo timers (that keep the car running after you leave it) at all and wouldn't have one in my cars.

It is dead easy to implement a foolproof oil cooling mechanism - I use one on my 88 Fiero turbo. They are made by Canton/Accusump makes them and they are nothing more than a one way valve you install in the oil supply line to the turbo, and a 'T' fitting that leads to a small oil reservoir (most use a canister like a hand held propane bottle).

Fire the engine up and oil pressure fills the reservoir probably about half way until the air pressure in the cylinder above the oil equals whatever the oil pressure in the engine is. You need to add a half quart to account for that. Then when you shut it down, that cool oil is forced by air pressure down through the turbo bearing and back into the sump via the return line through a metered orifice that ensures a decent period of flow, not just a one shot dump, which wouldn't do much for cooling.

Totally passive and foolproof system.

Take a look:

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=2415

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
4/19/13 11:15 a.m.

You could do a similar thing, but with coolant.
Plumb in one of those 'water knock' accumulator chambers, to hold and then discharge coolant.
If I'm going to install an Accusump, then it will be connected to my motor.

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
4/19/13 2:55 p.m.

The new Mini Cooper S's all have after run electric water pumps.

In reply to Hungary Bill: The turbo timer probably was not wired correctly, most tap into the parking brake switch. If the parking brake is not on, then the timer automatically kills the ignition. Have one on my Twin Turbo 300zx, if I don't feel like waiting, and haven't been driving hard I just turn of the key before putting on the parking brake.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
4/19/13 3:02 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Cone_Junky wrote: Most modern cars (n/a and turbo) have after-run water pumps too.
??? Which ones? I'm not aware of any.

BMW, MINI, VW, and Audi almost all have small electric water pumps for after after run capabilities.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
4/19/13 3:42 p.m.

In reply to Cone_Junky: Bosch must love the bad packaging of the German engineers.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j659py06eUxZPzJHzUL7KPT11NHpShdZMQDWYdJEcls2WM9I4ijPrDjqVSTY4qob