Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/13/22 6:01 p.m.
feature_image

Fastest lap around Virginia International Raceway for our annual Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge Presented by Grassroots Motorsports? That honor goes to Brian Faessler and his turbocharged, 650-horsepower Ford Mustang, clocking a blistering best time of 1:49.057. The competiton took place on…

Read the rest of the story

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/13/22 6:36 p.m.

Pardon my ignorance, but where are the LMP cars and other dedicated race stuff? Were the rules changed?

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
5/14/22 8:38 a.m.

Life is like a Lemons race, you never know who you're going to race until you get there.  Some may run some may crash, winner performed the best.  Thems the rules.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/14/22 9:32 a.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

When you get towards the pointy end, setup often matters as much as a spec sheet. Brian took the crown by a convincing margin, knowing how much time James (who finished 3rd) spends at VIR, Brian absolutely had to have the mustang dialed in. When you get to vehicles of a certain level they become both hammers and scalpels. Determining how best to utilize them as a scalpel is what separates them. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/14/22 12:27 p.m.

Pretty much the same rules as before. 

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
5/14/22 3:04 p.m.

Alright, hometown boys (Cincinnati) make good, way to go.

Tajgarage
Tajgarage New Reader
5/15/22 7:01 a.m.

There was one LMP car in the competition.  my Elan/NASA NP01 with a Cadillac LF4 twin turbo V6 and a Holinger 6 speed paddleshifted transaxle. I modified it myself at home in my garage. 
we were fastest in the warmup session and second to Brian in the first session. We made some adjustments and our Garmin Catalyst said we where 3 seconds faster at Oak tree where we spun and went 4 off in the rain. 
the UTCC runs on TT rules so our time was disqualified. 
rules are rules and we respect them and all the hard work it takes to put this event together. 
thank you GRM for giving us the opportunity to compete. 
there's always next year. 

gencollon
gencollon New Reader
5/16/22 8:36 p.m.

That's super cool Tajgarage! Do you have a build thread, social media, youtube, anything about that car? 

And 1:49 is really impressive, are we sure it only had 650 horse? I remember the TA1 car that won a few years back with a 1:53 https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/utcc-19-results/ 

Brian is only 2 seconds off that ligier JS P3 car's pace.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/16/22 10:11 p.m.
Tajgarage said:

There was one LMP car in the competition.  my Elan/NASA NP01 with a Cadillac LF4 twin turbo V6 and a Holinger 6 speed paddleshifted transaxle. I modified it myself at home in my garage. 
we were fastest in the warmup session and second to Brian in the first session. We made some adjustments and our Garmin Catalyst said we where 3 seconds faster at Oak tree where we spun and went 4 off in the rain. 
the UTCC runs on TT rules so our time was disqualified. 
rules are rules and we respect them and all the hard work it takes to put this event together. 
thank you GRM for giving us the opportunity to compete. 
there's always next year. 

As a fellow competitor who went 4-off in the wet at Oak Tree and lost the times from a subsequent session, I feel your pain. 

I'm really digging the fact that NP-01s have been around long enough that cool specials are starting to be created from them. 

Tajgarage
Tajgarage New Reader
5/17/22 7:11 p.m.

In reply to gencollon :

Just some videos https://youtu.be/rr05VVHMeHo

faesslbp
faesslbp None
5/18/22 2:36 p.m.

In reply to gencollon :

In the 2020 event, I did a 1:47.507, which was first, then the TA1 car (Adam Romito) did a 1:47.606 and the LMP3 car did a 1:47.828. So the car has been faster at the track than the 49.0 I did this year. The track seemed to be at least a second or two slower this year than 2020 (maybe due to rain that made track damp to start the day with).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
67UfnjVOjbgFmyUZhYPZAoUEw9sVGcxn5gcQI2UyGR1IP9VKp5bb4O4Jkw8I6fMS