1 2
JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
12/4/10 9:34 a.m.

Sorry if it's a repost.

They will be swapping an LS3 into a E30 M3.

http://www.twoguysgarage.com/

Keith
Keith SuperDork
12/4/10 10:57 a.m.

Two Guys Garage is an ad - I've got an old price list at work for what it costs to get your product featured.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
12/4/10 11:08 a.m.

All TV is an ad....

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/4/10 11:11 a.m.
JFX001 wrote: Sorry if it's a repost. They will be swapping an LS3 into a E30 M3. http://www.twoguysgarage.com/

Wow--finally a reason to watch that show.

I'm in.

JoeyM
JoeyM Dork
12/4/10 11:14 a.m.
Keith wrote: Two Guys Garage is an ad - I've got an old price list at work for what it costs to get your product featured.

This explains a lot.....I no longer need to have Garage Envy about all their neat tools. I used to think, "Wow, how lucky they are that their producers set them up in SUCH a nice shop...."

PS122
PS122 Reader
12/4/10 2:30 p.m.
Keith wrote: Two Guys Garage is an ad - I've got an old price list at work for what it costs to get your product featured.

That doesn't surprise me at all... No worse that the auto shows on Spike TV, though. I don't know how many times I've seen them peddle E3 spark plugs.

I do like the LS-powered E30, though.

triumph5
triumph5 HalfDork
12/4/10 2:39 p.m.

Regardless of all the above, it IS nice to see something other than a street rod or an Anemerican Car featured on the show. And someone DID drop in the V-8 with those massive exhaust pipes. Good solutions to heat transfer problems.

And, even if they are not working on what you've got, every now and then, one can pickup up a tip or technique you can use on your car. I have little interest in building a street rod, but I read street rodder mag for the ads and how to's. A technique to wire a street rod can equally apply to putting in a new harness in a whatever.

E3? Someone's gotta sponsor the program....

Keith
Keith SuperDork
12/4/10 2:43 p.m.

There is (was?) an import show that's associated as well - they were in the same sales pack. Basically, the show is an infomercial. I forget what it cost for a full feature vehicle, I'll dig it out again next time I'm in the office.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
12/4/10 3:02 p.m.

I just thought that it was an interesting swap...or maybe heresy depending on your point of view.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Reader
12/4/10 3:11 p.m.

its a bit of heresy says an S14 fan.... but i sure as hell want to drive it!

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
12/4/10 3:33 p.m.

isn't that the show that used to be two guys that said "buddy" a lot back in the TNN days? guy one: "hey, buddy. wanna hand me that wrench, buddy?" guy two: "sure, buddy, here ya go, buddy". guy one: "thanks, buddy".

and on and on like that for the first two segments, with the third segment having them at the workbench hawking the sponsor's over priced products of the week.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
12/4/10 3:57 p.m.
Keith wrote: There is (was?) an import show that's associated as well - they were in the same sales pack. Basically, the show is an infomercial. I forget what it cost for a full feature vehicle, I'll dig it out again next time I'm in the office.

I was actually going to ask you, just out of curiosity, what something like that might cost. So if you can remember to check and post I would appreciate it.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
12/4/10 7:21 p.m.

It has really devolved into an infomercial over the past few years, but I'll still tune in occasionally.

It's nice to watch a car show without phony deadlines and staged arguments.

a401cj
a401cj Reader
12/4/10 10:43 p.m.

that show was awesome back in the TNN days. It decomposed like a lot of cable over the years

John_W
John_W New Reader
12/4/10 11:00 p.m.

That show really does blow. I hate those two guys.

AquaHusky
AquaHusky New Reader
12/5/10 12:15 a.m.

I remember when it was called Shadetree Mechanics or something like that.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/5/10 1:15 a.m.
Keith wrote: There is (was?) an import show that's associated as well - they were in the same sales pack. Basically, the show is an infomercial. I forget what it cost for a full feature vehicle, I'll dig it out again next time I'm in the office.

Super 2ner TV??? That's the only one I can think of.

FWIW, I watched 2 Guys today and they were working on one dude's Honda cafe racer (bike). It was very technical and they didn't seem to be plugging much of anything.

I watched an episode of Gearz last week and it appears to have degraded to half-show/half ad. Sucks, because Stacy David is the real deal when it comes to cars.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
12/5/10 5:40 a.m.

TunerTransformation - for some demented reason I actually liked that show. Maybe it's my own delusional version of reality but I imagined a couple guys helping someone out with modifications they couldn't afford.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
12/5/10 9:27 a.m.
Feedyurhed wrote:
I was actually going to ask you, just out of curiosity, what something like that might cost. So if you can remember to check and post I would appreciate it.

I'm actually out of the office for the next few weeks and the price list is at least 5 years old, but I'll do my best to remember. I pulled this out of an old forum post of mine on Miata.net (from 2002, so I guess the list is a little older):

me said:

"Run of schedule show & tell feature - Involves products that can be handled and shown by Sam and Dave during a special segment of the show when they visit the Two Guys Garage parts counter. You product will be explained and shown for approximately 20 to 35 seconds and will run in an episode determined by the producer.
$7500".

If tools are involved (90 seconds - 2 minutes), it's $19,000. It goes up from there. A 4-6 minute feature is $25k.

Tuner Transformation, that sounds about right.

triumph5
triumph5 HalfDork
12/5/10 9:45 a.m.

I just watched the first of the episodes where they are fitting the LS3 into the BMW, and found it very informative: an explanation of the BMW front suspension, and why they are doing what they're doing for adjustability; the problems with fitting a 3" exhaust all the way back; putting in the front and rear shocks, and why they chose what they did. They did, of course, mention whose shocks they're using, using coils (not a coil over but a coil with an adjustable base--didn't know sucha beast existed); mentioned Bimmer World built the rear diff and why.... And no, buy before midnight tonight garbage or anything like that. IT is NOT the show it was 5 years ago.

Of course they have to mention whose products they're using. They are donated in exchange for the being mentioned on national TV. Do you think the mentions for Griffin radiators in this publication have nothing to do with the Vintage Triumph Tim campaigns? It's simply business.

Learned and saw other guys deal with the problems of the BMW LS swap from my living room coach. No searching the internet or seeking out someone whose done it. The first 12 minutes showed how they boxed and reinforced the chassis. That alone was worth watching.

There's the parts corner, but even Fuller seems to be treating it like it is: an ad, and he's kinda snickering at what he's got to say. For me, well worth watching. Seeing the parts go in, and what to do and why makes it worth the half hour.

BowtieBandit
BowtieBandit New Reader
12/5/10 10:05 a.m.

I miss shadetree mechanic. Sam and Dave actually did real stuff, usually in the driveway, that an average schmuck could do. No lift, no fancy stuff, just two dudes working on cars.

I really do like the show now, it is very technical and informative, about the best DIY show around. I used to laugh though a few years ago when they had three hosts on Two Guys Garage lol.

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
12/5/10 1:59 p.m.

Both shows used to be taped in Knoxville and the producers would periodically contact the local racers to help them with stories when they ran out of other ideas. I dont know where they tape the latest show but HGTV and Food are now done here. You could see the original garage from I-40/75 until they expanded the facilities.

Yeah, I liked the idea of three hosts on Two Guys Garage.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
12/6/10 12:07 p.m.

Just a clarification. It's not an M3. They started with a 4 cyl standard E30.

Most car shows are thinly disguised infomercials, that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. That doesn't mean they're not worth watching. I don't particularly like the guys on 2guys, but I happened to catch this weekends episode and found the work they're doing on the E30 to be quite interesting. I think the most pure car guy show it Musclecar. They don't promote nearly as many products as some of the others, and they show lots of tips on fabricating.

When I was young, the most I could see on TV was a NASCAR of Indy car race once or twice a year. We should all be grateful for all the car shows that are on now, infomercial or not.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
12/6/10 12:26 p.m.

I don't mind product placement and endorsements, considering that I'm getting the show for free. What I do object to is the lack of integrity when doing them. When Sam endorsed those stupid snake-oil Tornado things,(basically a windmill that you put in your intake to "improve fuel economy") he showed how much integrity he has.

We used to consider a drinking game. Every time Sam or Dave said "go ahead" you'd have to down a beer. You'd be stinkin' drunk by the first commercial...

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
12/6/10 12:43 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Just a clarification. It's not an M3. They started with a 4 cyl standard E30.

It's an M3.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lmCC4LzFYVqqIopXEK1uN41V8rsbaVNACM9FI5BOviCOqXGDIwQyuEhp9bftM1Nf