1 2 3
Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
3/20/13 3:37 p.m.

Yeah, like "more unique," it doesn't really make much sense. I'm just trying to rustle your jimmies. Here's what we mean:

More at the Ultimate Track Car Challenge.

More exposure. More classes and awards. More competition. And the crew from PRS Guitars will be there, giving out a killer axe. We've seen a few $20XX Challenge cars come to the UTCC, and would like to see more of you there. Some of you $Challengers are shoo-ins for the Fastest Crapcan trophy.

Here's the skinny:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/UTCC13/

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
3/20/13 3:40 p.m.

Fastest Truck: We welcome all kinds that meet NASA’s rules, whether it’ a minivan, SUV or “Sanford & Son” pickup.

Not another event to add to the bucket list!

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
3/20/13 3:44 p.m.

Someone threaten France so that they will surrender the Espace F1!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
3/20/13 4:25 p.m.

I have so much vacation this year.

Just how fast are the "fastest Street Car" Division running. I do see a Viper/Mopar award as well.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/20/13 6:40 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: Fastest Truck: We welcome all kinds that meet NASA’s rules, whether it’ a minivan, SUV or “Sanford & Son” pickup. Not another event to add to the bucket list!

Bring it!!

dyintorace
dyintorace UltraDork
3/20/13 7:08 p.m.

Man, I want to do this!!

David S. Wallens
3/20/13 7:13 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: Man, I want to do this!!

Join us!!

(I know, I'm just full of !!'s today.)

dyintorace
dyintorace UltraDork
3/20/13 7:48 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
dyintorace wrote: Man, I want to do this!!
Join us!! (I know, I'm just full of !!'s today.)

Cruising various forums as we speak, looking for a car to do so.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
3/20/13 9:17 p.m.

We welcome all. Heck, they let me be there, so really, it's the most accepting group I've ever found.

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert Reader
3/20/13 9:33 p.m.

Dumb question: Are nonparticipant attendees allowed?

David S. Wallens
3/20/13 10:15 p.m.
JeffHarbert wrote: Dumb question: Are nonparticipant attendees allowed?

As in spectators?

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert Reader
3/20/13 10:36 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Yes.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Intern
3/20/13 10:51 p.m.

I'm not the head honcho, but I believe the answer is yes.

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert Reader
3/20/13 10:59 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

That'd be cool. VIR is only about 90 minutes from me. Make for a great day trip.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
3/20/13 11:07 p.m.

VIR is a hike for me but I'd love to come check this out and shoot some photos now that I live in Virgina. Unless I find a track car and get a NASA license inbetween now and then :).

getfast
getfast Reader
3/20/13 11:26 p.m.

Hi everyone, Jon from NASA here, just stopping by to let you know that we are really excited about this year's UTCC! We can't wait to help GRM make it the best one yet.

I am your point of contact for NASA licensing and related qualification questions or tech questions or pretty much anything about NASA's end of things, as I have been for every UTCC ever held at VIR. It's all the same as last year in terms of what you need to participate, so check the details in that thread for starters ( http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/grm-2012-ultimate-track-car-challenge/50737/page1/ ) and let me know if you have questions. jfelton at drivenasa dot com is usually the best way to reach me. Thanks again and we'll see you in July!

Jon

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr HalfDork
3/21/13 6:25 a.m.

Jon,

I realize you mentioned this is not the best way to get a hold of you, but I think others here will have this same question....

If you participate in crapcan races (Lemons and Chumpcar), is there a way to get a waiver for the licensing?

We have many people on this forum that have won these crapcan races that are not licensed to race with NASA.

Thanks,

Rob R.

getfast
getfast Reader
3/21/13 7:50 a.m.

Hi Rob, good question. We do not automatically recognize those licenses for UTCC participation because they are not equivalent to the licenses one would gain through NASA or another approved organization. However we can certainly recognize crapcan racing seat time as part of a larger resume.

Everyone is considered on a case by case basis so the best thing to do is email me your driving history in as much detail as possible.

Thanks for asking!

Jon

David S. Wallens
3/21/13 7:54 a.m.

Thanks for joining us, Jon.

Yeah, what he said. Don't have a NASA license and have questions about participating? Feel free to drop Jon an e-mail. Not only is he the source on this stuff, but he's also a super-nice guy.

David S. Wallens
3/21/13 7:56 a.m.

Regarding spectators, I just got the official word from Chris Cobetto, NASA Mid Atlantic's head chief:

Absolutely.

The track has a nominal gate fee of $10 but all are welcome. Camping is allowed as well. For the weekend it's $35 per tent or $50 per camper however there are no hook ups.

Also if someone is staying through the weekend for only $50 they can participate in a mini HPDE called a Hyperdrive where they will get to drive their own car for 20min on VIR full course with professional in-car coaching.

Rides will be available as well with our seasoned instructors on Saturday and Sunday.

Should someone like to try their hand at a full weekend of track driving at VIR they can register for an award winning NASA Mid Atlantic High Performance Driving Event (HPDE). Several hours of track time with professional coaching for less than $400.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/21/13 7:57 a.m.

Maybe next year we can bring the Scirocco which may be the slowest car there.

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert Reader
3/21/13 8:22 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Excellent, thanks for checking!

David S. Wallens
3/21/13 8:45 a.m.
JeffHarbert wrote: In reply to David S. Wallens: Excellent, thanks for checking!

No problem. We have added that info to the UTCC page, too. That mini-HPDE sounds like a great way to get involved, too.

See you in July.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
3/21/13 9:11 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Maybe next year we can bring the Scirocco which may be the slowest car there.

that's where I want to play ... want to do this, and the goal would be to NOT BE dfl ...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/21/13 10:24 a.m.

Is there any chance of a GRM UTCC school?

That would solve a few issues for some of us if it could be possible.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
daeukJPT2jYEa5XECroINMpIJcvnUX3xH07h08tOk8JS2mTWl5Hka3q92NqFjJdo