1 2 3
Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
10/2/22 8:10 a.m.

Stinger offers zero rear foot room.  If you haul humans in the back seat Stinger isn't a serious option, not to mention far too big and heavy for auto-x.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
10/2/22 8:28 a.m.

Keep 986 for the fun car and sell the rest and get a late LS430

calteg
calteg SuperDork
10/2/22 8:52 a.m.
Javelin said:

I know nothing about the IS-F. Is it good?

I've owned three. Easily the best all around car I've ever owned, but I don't know that I'd recommend them for autox. They're big, heavy cars, the rear seat is a bit cramped, most of the ones you'll find have an open diff. Reliable as an anvil and it has a glorious V8 soundtrack once you open the exhaust up.

I second Petrolburner...$35k gets you into an Evo. I'd be looking for an Evo IX personally. Having driven one in anger, that car makes you look like an absolute hero

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
10/2/22 8:55 a.m.

Genesis G70

G37 Sedan

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/2/22 9:13 a.m.

Audi's drivetrain layout means you will not find much that has as much interior room without going significantly larger in size.  Them's the breaks.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
10/2/22 9:45 a.m.

If the CTS/SS/Etc are too large...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/2/22 9:52 a.m.

Audis have very good space engineering, they are small outside for how large they are on the inside.

I like the idea of the ATS but it is a four door Camaro with a shorter wheelbase and it is CRAMPED inside even as a single occupant vehicle.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
10/2/22 9:58 a.m.

For me personally, as I age and wrenching/driving time gets increasingly rare I lean towards having just 2 vehicles; 1 fun toy and 1 reliable daily driver.

For you, the toy seems to be the 944, so I'd strongly consider selling everything else and finding a daily that you won't have to wrench on. Maybe make it something that won't be totally embarrassing in an autoX or track night, but reliability would be my priority over being a track weapon. Something like an IS-F, CTS-V or Charger could be a fun daily capable of providing some performance thrills and fun without needing constant attention. It won't be at the pointy end of the field in Auto-X, but that's not what that vehicle's purpose is and you'll still have fun. Trying to make everything super fast and competitive leads to the situation you're currently in. Being super competitive in performance driving will always require a bunch of work, so I'd save that for whatever your toy is, and then just have a daily that can be the backup fun car if the toy isn't available.

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
10/2/22 10:07 a.m.

A 6 speed G37 makes decent power (though maybe not compared to the S4) and would be a bit smaller than some of the other sedans mentioned. It's a non turbo engine so less to go wrong under the hood. Also if you wanted to modify it, that's a platform with a fairly robust aftermarket. I've briefly driven the V6 awd Stinger and was impressed with acceleration, braking and interior quality. I wasn't on an exciting road so I couldn't test handling or steering feel much. 
what about the Alfa Giulia ti ?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
10/2/22 10:15 a.m.

CT4V?  I've read nothing but praise about them. 

I hear you on the wrenching/time thing, that's one of the reasons why I sold my corrado and also picked up a land cruiser as my DD.  I just want to concentrate on the 996tt as my project, on everything else I just want to do normal maintenance. 

Your complication here is looking for a single car to do it all, that's hard.  Out of all of them, your S4 is the closest one that you have.  Anything else you could buy that's a better auto-xer won't be as good of a DD, or will tilt in the other direction.  Ie, a better DD (like an IS-F for instance) but be a much worse auto-xer.    The only car out there that could possibly be better would be an E90 M3, but those have their issues like vanos, rod bearings, an enormous appetite for fuel, etc...

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/2/22 10:21 a.m.

Tesla is your answer. 

It's gonna push your budget a little. The RWD Model 3 is now $46K, but it's eligible for the $7500 tax credit. 

I spent the last few days driving a Y, and expect one will be in my future. 

Edit:  Actually, a used S could be well within the price range

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
10/2/22 10:34 a.m.

If you desire a sport sedan, get something from the M sport line of BMW. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
10/2/22 11:12 a.m.
SV reX said:

Tesla is your answer. 

It's gonna push your budget a little. The RWD Model 3 is now $46K, but it's eligible for the $7500 tax credit. 

I'm finding this to be the answer. The question is becoming used Model S P85D/P90D or newer to be Model 3 LR Performance? The gas, maintenance, and insurance savings easily make up the price difference...

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/2/22 11:16 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

For me, the Y is better. But that's because I want a bit more interior space, and value the hatchback. 

But for your needs, either the S or the 3 LR performance are definitely excellent choices

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/2/22 11:17 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Have you driven one?

It only took 1 drive for me.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
10/2/22 11:24 a.m.
Loweguy5 said:

Stinger offers zero rear foot room.  If you haul humans in the back seat Stinger isn't a serious option, not to mention far too big and heavy for auto-x.

No idea where you got that idea. My family of 5 fit in it just fine. Plus I sit in the back from time to time (I am 5 11) There is less room in the Audi S4 in the back than the Stinger. The sizes of both cars are close. The Stinger has a liftback-style trunk that can offer 23.3 cubic feet of room. Meanwhile, the Audi S4 only offers 12 cubic feet of trunk space.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 SuperDork
10/2/22 11:59 a.m.

If you can forgo the RWD/AWD thing, the MKVII Jetta GLI (2019+) is a worthy choice IMO.  It has MBQ/E888 architecture.  Great chassis, great engine, great brakes, eLSD, very comfortable for 4 and still can autocross (GS) and track-day effectively. Can get a M6 or DSG7 depending on preferences. Has nice, understated style that will age well.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/2/22 12:02 p.m.

Model 3 performance.  It can autox with the best of them and meet all your DD requirements while the 944 occupies garage space/is on jackstands/is permanently uncompetitive.

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
10/2/22 12:13 p.m.

Buy another Javelin.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/2/22 12:47 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

No idea where you got that idea. My family of 5 fit in it just fine. Plus I sit in the back from time to time (I am 5 11) There is less room in the Audi S4 in the back than the Stinger. The sizes of both cars are close. The Stinger has a liftback-style trunk that can offer 23.3 cubic feet of room. Meanwhile, the Audi S4 only offers 12 cubic feet of trunk space.

If you want a hatchback then the S5 sportback is the right car to compare it to.

The Stinger is kind of an intermediate size between the S4 and S6.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/2/22 12:56 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I think your world could very much be on the cusp where EVs make up you daily duty (and more) driving but you keep something sporty and IC around for "old time sake."

I think we're really on the last round of IC cars. Items like recent Mopars will be kept around as an example of how "things used to be.". For this purpose, which Porsche do you want to keep around?  I'd probably keep the Boxster of the three. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/2/22 1:21 p.m.

I think Dodge should be running an ad that shows a Superbird or similar or many from that generation. The words should be, "there was a time when you could just walk into a dealership and buy one of these, now they are untouchable...don't miss out again!" Then the screen shows Hellcats and such. 

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
10/2/22 2:03 p.m.
SV reX said:

Tesla is your answer. 

Just test drive a Model 3 Performance.  You will either love it or hate it in 5min.  It has been a fantastic daily and road trip beast for me.  Emberassing Hellcats and most other hotrods is super fun.  For real performance it needs more suspension (plenty of options) and an upgrade to 10" wide wheels and 285-305's to really shine on the autox course.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
10/2/22 2:06 p.m.

I would try out whatever you can find that is newish and take it for a test drive. Camaro/Mustang doable from a back seat standpoint? 

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
10/2/22 4:09 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I've thought about this too, and could see my next daily being a hemi Chrysler 300, after the 2011 facelift. There will be plenty of time to experience EV cars in the coming years, so I'm ok with being a late adopter to that stuff. I want to enjoy some of the more characterful ICE cars within my budget for a while longer.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pJwS5toPO8WorktWNJELUOu7SZP0YYuaNGu4EkShneKzAwGsr9UmCKFF7jSDaTk6