Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/17/21 7:52 a.m.
feature_image

The competition might be called the Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t open to seeing the ultimate track truck, especially if it’ as slick as Jimmy Bullard’s 550-horsepower 1975 Chevrolet C10. Despite being an “aerodynamic brick,&rd…

Read the rest of the story

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/17/21 8:40 a.m.

I have an irrational desire to build a mid-engine square body like that. But I lack the fabrication skills or the money to pay someone else to do it. 

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
9/17/21 9:57 a.m.

Holy hell.  Five minutes ago I had zero interest in Boxsters.  I'm gonna need to see a lot more of that one.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
9/17/21 10:45 a.m.

Hold up, whats the word on Boxsters and Audi v8 swaps? Which Audi v8? 

nocones
nocones UberDork
9/17/21 11:03 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Apparently any Audi V8 will bolt to the Boxster transmission.  

YouTube Homebuilt by Jeff is building one and goes into some details (His is an AUS market car but US have S8s and Q7s with V8s)

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/17/21 7:58 p.m.
nocones said:

In reply to yupididit :

Apparently any Audi V8 will bolt to the Boxster transmission.  

YouTube Homebuilt by Jeff is building one and goes into some details (His is an AUS market car but US have S8s and Q7s with V8s)

I think it has to be one of the 4.2s, I read somewhere that the newer turbo 4.0s have a different bellhousing pattern.  (those motors are not really GRM-level pricing yet anyway)

The last time I checked (a year or two ago) there was not a lot of information out there about how to make the V8-into-boxster swap work.  A couple people had done it, but they did not seem to want to share the knowledge.

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
9/17/21 9:11 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

I can tell you whatever you want to know.  The short story is the trans does bolt right up but the engine on the Boxster is supported from the front unlike the Audi which has conventional side engine mounts so a cradle has to be made. It's not a ton of fab and there's lots kits out there.  The Boxster is a fantastic platform and a real bargain.  I cut most of the steel off of the rear of the car with this build but an Audi V8 will sit in the engine bay of a stock Boxster. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/17/21 10:20 p.m.
Box4VIR said:

I can tell you whatever you want to know.  The short story is the trans does bolt right up but the engine on the Boxster is supported from the front unlike the Audi which has conventional side engine mounts so a cradle has to be made. It's not a ton of fab and there's lots kits out there.  The Boxster is a fantastic platform and a real bargain.  I cut most of the steel off of the rear of the car with this build but an Audi V8 will sit in the engine bay of a stock Boxster. 

I had read that the fitting the intake required some cutting (or at least pounding with a hammer) to make clearance, but maybe that's for a stock intake?

Rather than the mechanical bits, the info that seemed the most lacking was how to get the various electronics to work and be happy with each other.  Are you using a stock ECU or an aftermarket one?  A race car is probably an easier problem to solve in this regard than a street car.

Your car looks like a lot of fun to drive though! :)

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
9/18/21 6:14 a.m.

The electronics portion is similar to other 90s engine swaps, there's quite a few wires to cross reference from Audi to Porsche and connect together but all the hard has been done for you it's really just following directions.  This car though has a VEMs standalone ECU with a wiring harness from EFI Express so I did very little wiring.   I had to go stand-alone to run electronic boost control, flex fuel and have full control over the fuel maps.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/18/21 8:25 a.m.

I was sold as soon as I saw the top dump exhaust. I can see it crackling on the over runs spitting fire out them pipes. Just so cool!!!  

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
9/18/21 10:38 a.m.
dean1484 said:

I was sold as soon as I saw the top dump exhaust. I can see it crackling on the over runs spitting fire out them pipes. Just so cool!!!  

Thanks!  The top dump exhaust is aimed just below the wing blade go to "charge" the wing (or create a blown wing). Whatever lingo you go by.  It's a fiberglass wing so hopefully it's not shooting enough fire to catch the wing on fire.  

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
9/18/21 1:01 p.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

Excuse me sir, do you have a build thread somewhere? 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
9/19/21 8:41 a.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to Box4VIR :

Excuse me sir, do you have a build thread somewhere? 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/boxster-journey-into-tt5-nasa-time-trials/146213/page1/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v3tF7z9ARVopdYhclIydzfDyKBPXRUjy6mv0PGoWhDiUpiMch8TgGHwqeOl4uxTh