AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
11/30/20 7:51 a.m.

Does anyone know if it's possible to take a paint sample to a shop and have a match mixed up into an aerosol? 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/30/20 8:16 a.m.

Should be possible. Depends on the paint and application. If it was house paint it would be really easy to do- I do it daily. Wouldn't even need to stick it in a spray can. Automotive is a bit tougher but not out of reach of a talented paint guy. 

Trent
Trent PowerDork
11/30/20 8:21 a.m.

Yes and no.

You probably have an automotive paint shop nearby that has one of the special cameras. They are a neat bit of kit with their own light source and dedicated software package.

What they do not do is look at a color and calculate the pigments to make a match. They simply compare that color to a database of OEM colors and give the user a list of closest matches by percentage.  If it gives you a match of 95% it will look pretty good. Below that is a crap shoot. Throw pearls and metalflake variations into the mix and it can be a disaster. 

But any shop outfitted with the camera will likely also be set to fill aerosol cans.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
11/30/20 9:12 a.m.

I suppose I should have clarified that this is an automotive application, yes. 

I knew of one good automotive paint shop nearby but I think it closed a few years ago. Interesting about it finding the closest OEM match, I suppose that makes sense.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/30/20 9:38 a.m.

Has the car ever been painted before?  There's a paint code somewhere, +/- age.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
11/30/20 10:25 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

...yes...

It's pretty generic green and yellow but the normal hardware store stuff doesn't match well enough for the body repairs I'm now doing. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mH6gGFxuM5ysUApny69VeJ7mkJ33HjM4oa8sr32sLSPpb8QSSH4zrINbqHoukT5J