Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
4/20/16 10:22 a.m.

Maybe I've missed it, but have there been any updates on how the MR2 they bought last year has held up? (Or even still have it?)

I've been curious about them myself, and just saw on the Obscure Cars for Sale Facebook group someone has a red MR2 with a V6 swap for $9k obo. Reignited my interest...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/20/16 10:40 a.m.

It's still here. JG can chime in and provide more details, but it's basically just chugging along and doing MR2-type things. It's amazing at how well that shape has aged, too.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
4/20/16 11:20 a.m.

"Doing Mr2 type things" is awesome.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/20/16 11:39 a.m.
sesto elemento wrote: "Doing Mr2 type things" is awesome.

Thanks. My mom says that I should become a writer.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
4/20/16 11:44 a.m.

Lol

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
4/20/16 2:34 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: it's basically just chugging along and doing MR2-type things.

Resisting the obvious snap-oversteer joke. (From someone that tried autocrossing his '88 MR2 SC late last year and discovered what that means first-hand.)

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
4/20/16 4:14 p.m.
Jerry wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: it's basically just chugging along and doing MR2-type things.
Resisting the obvious snap-oversteer joke. (From someone that tried autocrossing his '88 MR2 SC late last year and discovered what that means first-hand.)

Beat me to it! I've seem more MR2s back into the armco than any other car.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
4/20/16 4:18 p.m.
Jerry wrote: Maybe I've missed it, but have there been any updates on how the MR2 they bought last year has held up? (Or even still have it?) I've been curious about them myself, and just saw on the Obscure Cars for Sale Facebook group someone has a red MR2 with a V6 swap for $9k obo. Reignited my interest...

Hahaha, I saw that too! And I not only thought of the GRM MR2, but I also thought of the one our Challenge team snagged from Woody a while back and the Camry V6/5-speed that is waiting to get plopped into it. I completely forgot we even had that car.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/20/16 7:00 p.m.

I put gas in it and drive it. When it gets dirty, I wash it. It's pretty much an awesome daily driver. Honestly I'd drive it EVERY day, but I need my van some days to carry stuff around.

So far all it's asked for besides fuel is a starter, which I had a local shop do because my lift was tied up. I think I was in it for parts and labor well under $300.

I replaced the shift bushings with a set of the bronze ones from TwosRUs, although mine weren't bad. But i really like the TwosRus guys and has used those before in another car and wanted to support the MR2 community somehow.

The only real issues currently are that the cruise doesn't work and the windshield could probably stand to be replaced as it's getting some wiper wear after a quarter century. It's really an awesome car and a great swap. I would recommend one unreservedly.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
4/21/16 8:04 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak:

I've bought from TwosRUs a few times myself, always a good experience. I really wish I could afford a Prime Performance MR2.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vZC3beiudhQtmMxROdijTOpGEY517r7rwIlaFA5xVKl4srktfK57aLYeUNzMR3gQ