1 2
slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
3/16/22 8:55 a.m.

Planning a spring trip..

Is US 52 a good alternative to I 77?

Traveling North from Winston-Salem area.... Want to possibly take a bit of time and explore the twisties and back roads if possible.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/16/22 10:07 a.m.

You will get your fill of twisties, and see the countryside better.

You won't make great time, but you will learn how difficult travel was for you grandparents before the interstate system.   I encourage the decision.  We have even traveled much of US11 the length of the Shenandoah Valley parallel to 81.

Note:  If it gets to be too much there are multiple opportunites to get back on 77.

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
3/16/22 10:15 a.m.

US 52 is beautiful and should be enjoyable in the spring, but be aware that on weekends in summer, when I-77 slows to a standstill with all the vacation traffic, there's quite a bit of spillover traffic onto 52 including a few big rigs, which kills the fun factor quite a bit.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
3/16/22 10:23 a.m.

Yeah, do 52. I live in Winston, ProDarwin (I think) is also here

What are you coming down for?

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/16/22 11:22 a.m.

I've run it from Charleston SC to I-81. It's a nice drive, but not necessarily a fast one. If you are in a rush, hit the interstate. If you have the time and enjoy a drive through the countryside, hit 52.

One of my bucket list trips is US 52 from Charleston SC to Portal, ND. I think it would be a great trip.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
3/16/22 11:23 a.m.

Cool,  Thanks !

That's what I thought.  consensus at this time of the year is yes!

The car has new Tires / Seats / Harnesses / Liteweight hood, so I am looking forward to a bit of change in scenery on the way back home.

Anyone Heading to the The CMP Lemons Race in April ?

I will be taking my '64 Dart there as a crew support vehicle - Driving a few stints in the '62 Valiant Lemons car on Sat / Sun / Then Heading Back to PA Midday Sunday before the Checkers fly at CMP.

I might also Revisit the US 52 / US 21 corridor  later this summer when returning from Florida.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/16/22 11:45 a.m.
slantsix said:

Planning a spring trip..

Is US 52 a good alternative to I 77?

Traveling North from Winston-Salem area.... Want to possibly take a bit of time and explore the twisties and back roads if possible.

I only stay on 52 until it hits 74 over to 77.  On this side it isn't really twisties or backroads if that is what you are looking for.  Its a 2 lane highway, pretty straight and interstate-ish speeds (minus the congestion @ US-421/Salem Parkway/Business 40/Whatever they call it these days).  North of 74 it will take you through some smaller towns.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/16/22 11:52 a.m.

You'll actually be coming through my town on 52. Albemarle NC. Ill buy lunch if you wanna get together!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/16/22 12:31 p.m.
Toyman! said:

One of my bucket list trips is US 52 from Charleston SC to Portal, ND. I think it would be a great trip.

It's funny - I grew up one block off Hwy 52, but never looked at the map to see how far south it went.  smiley  I can tell you all about it inside the Minnesota border.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/16/22 12:52 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

It runs about 1000' from my house. I turn out of my neighborhood onto it every morning on the way to work. 

hybridmomentspass
3/17/22 5:43 a.m.

Funny how close this road is to several of us on here. Im about half a mile from it at one point. Maybe less.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/17/22 6:55 a.m.

I looked up Hwy 52 (like most everything else, it has its own Wikipedia page.)  At the north end it actually continues across the Canadian border as Saskatchewan Highway 39, which goes another 170 miles to Moose Jaw.  

Also, “Contrary to most other even numbered U.S. highways, US 52 primarily follows a northwest/southeast route, and is signed north-south or east-west depending on the local orientation of the route.”  You can use that as an ice breaker at  your next social gathering.  laugh

hybridmomentspass
3/17/22 10:02 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Also, “Contrary to most other even numbered U.S. highways, US 52 primarily follows a northwest/southeast route, and is signed north-south or east-west depending on the local orientation of the route.”  You can use that as an ice breaker at  your next social gathering.  laugh

How do you think I started my proposal????  Began with that and she HAD to marry me, trivia!

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
3/17/22 10:15 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

You'll actually be coming through my town on 52. Albemarle NC. Ill buy lunch if you wanna get together!

Whoa.

I just found today out I will likely be traveling there to pick up a van (Lot 121) and drive it back to Chicago in the next couple weeks.   Trying to figure out logistics right now. (Fly vs drive down)

Dusterbd13-michael
3/18/22 7:03 a.m.

In reply to Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself :

So, fly into Concord regional airport if you can get a cheap allegiant flight. Ill pick you up and help you get the van. And lunch. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/18/22 9:02 a.m.

We went that way from Indy to the Outer Banks .... 11 or 12 years ago. Fun road but it's not the fast way to go for sure.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
3/18/22 9:25 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Sounds good.

I may take you up on that.

Will hafta see how the weekend goes.

Thanks, Greg

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
3/18/22 10:13 a.m.

US 52 north through southern West Virginia takes you right past my hometown of Hanover. Don't blink or you'll miss it.

It also passes through some of the most depressing towns you'll ever experience. Once thriving towns thanks to coal are now wastelands. Thanks to coal. 

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
3/19/22 1:26 p.m.
hybridmomentspass said:

What are you coming down for?

Passing through and back weekend after easter .. some Lemons racing @ CMP.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
3/19/22 1:30 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

US 52 north through southern West Virginia takes you right past my hometown of Hanover. Don't blink or you'll miss it.

It also passes through some of the most depressing towns you'll ever experience. Once thriving towns thanks to coal are now wastelands. Thanks to coal. 

Looks like 52 from bluefield to Ironton has lots of twisties as well.  Not on my route this time around.

I have taken WV 20 from Quiet dell to Bluefield.  It is a great back road for getting off the four lane.

Greg

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
4/19/22 7:49 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I sent you a message about that.   Trip Details are coming together.

Dusterbd13-michael
4/19/22 7:57 a.m.

In reply to slantsix :

Texted at the number provided earlier this morning. Let me know if it didn't work....

hybridmomentspass
4/19/22 11:20 a.m.

Yall tell me when you'll be in Albemarle, I'll make the trip down for a meet and meat. It's not that far away and be cool to put faces with names etc

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
4/19/22 11:53 a.m.

Years ago I read an article by Peter Egan retracing the final trip of Hank Williams Sr. in an early ´50´s Cadillac.  The car Egan used ran beautifully for the most part but he noted that it started building heat heading up into WV on 52.  That is a climb.

And somewhere in WV Hank Sr. drifted away into the hereafter in the backseat of his ´52 Cadillac in the final days of that year.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28196/egan-hanks-last-drive/

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
4/19/22 12:03 p.m.
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Whoa.

I just found today out I will likely be traveling there to pick up a van (Lot 121) and drive it back to Chicago in the next couple weeks.   Trying to figure out logistics right now. (Fly vs drive down)

Did you get this van? That thing looks awesome and I bet it is even better than the auction showed.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K6sEKmdh1QXEbwTp2JxTVmCRcfhEijtnKgVnJkTsVThPdICvpJfD3br8cVabsanH