Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/21/20 2:42 p.m.

So, the oil in the customer 65 mustang was at least 5 years old, felt thin, and smelled of fuel.

So, like the good steward i am, went ahead and drained it for a fresh filter and fill of rotella.

This is what his oil looks like. 

doesn't seem to glitter. 

What are y'all's thoughts?

Floating Doc
Floating Doc UltraDork
3/21/20 2:47 p.m.

I'd look at the carb. Has it been warned up and run during that time.

Edit-the reason I could never own a magic 8 Ball it's because I would be tempted to take it to work.

"I don't want you to run all of those tests, I just want you to tell me what's wrong."

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa HalfDork
3/21/20 2:48 p.m.

Looks like that now, or before replacing?

Electric fuel pump or anything non-65 on the car?

Dusterbd13-michael
3/21/20 3:00 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

i actually have, and use, a magic 8 ball at work. In mental health. 

i find it hilarious. My boss doesn't.....

and unknown in startingand warmingup. Its been startes twice since here, only for a few seconds. 

Asa: electric fuel pump. However, not blowing past the needle and seat at this time. Not even a drip. Mechanically, other than the electric fuel pump and a set of headers, thing is stock.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/21/20 3:01 p.m.

And that was prior to replacement. Still dripping into the drain pan.

I just started this to give us all something to argue about that ISN'T politics or kungflu.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa HalfDork
3/21/20 3:08 p.m.

If it was 5 years old, I'd be tempted to think that at some point in the past the pump did push past the needle and seat.  Have you been taking care of it for that long?  Coupled with condensation dripping in the oil could be a mess.

Thread does remind me, I need to replace the oil in Susie.  And the pressure switch has started to leak

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa HalfDork
3/21/20 3:10 p.m.

When was the electric pump put on?  Is it possible the old mechanical pump died in such a way to cause a leak into the block?

I cant remember if that's a possible failure mode of those pumps.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/21/20 3:11 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Nah. It was drug to me dead on a rollback. For wiring and brakes. Supposedly ran fantastic right before the harness went Chernobyl. When it got here, radiator was bone dry, oil like that, gas skunked, and brake fluid empty. So, ive been bringing it back from the brink for the past few months. 

Dusterbd13-michael
3/21/20 4:28 p.m.

Biggest question: does it look like a cracked block or head gasket failure milkshake?

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
3/21/20 4:37 p.m.

Honestly, I have zero experience with old mustang's, but that oil looks like it was contaminated with coolant.....

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/21/20 4:42 p.m.

If it's not pig rich and never warmed up... I'd say it cracked the block since you said the radiator was dry. Fill it up and see what comes out with pressure testing.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
3/21/20 4:43 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Biggest question: does it look like a cracked block or head gasket failure milkshake?

Dusterbd13-michael said:

When it got here, radiator was bone dry,  

It does have that milkshake look but it isn't brown.

The "thin" points to fuel, sitting for years may have dried out gasket(s).

So a combo of both.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
3/21/20 5:09 p.m.

That's what the oil in my RX-7 looks like if I let the change go too long and it turns into mostly gasoline from blowby.

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
3/21/20 6:01 p.m.

Change it, run it long enough to get HOT,  then see what it looks like.  Other problems might show up.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uLc2zImxLjRbfsSoWMMkFYtpJWQessdHyZsZevxTJBnvK7nji1CpCTJEVGtIIR2h