CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter)
CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/22/20 2:48 p.m.

I bought 4 Hoosier A7s for my CRX challenge car and they arrived today. Questions from a newb:

1. All tires have what looks like uneven wear but I really have no idea what I'm looking at. In the pic below, I assume the right hand side of the tire should be mounted outward because the left hand side (the inside when mounted) will wear more quickly from camber?

2. Do I need to tell the tire guy anything specific about mounting them? They're 225/45/15 and going on a 15x7 rim-it's a minimum width suggested by Hoosier. 

Any other info/advice welcome! I used John Berget for the tires-transaction was fine.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
11/22/20 3:16 p.m.

Just mount all four with the best side inward, the tires can be run in either direction. Shouldn't be anything unusual to getting them mounted and balanced. I did exactly this with SM7s on my Challenge Miata a few years ago without any issues.

Edit: I say put the good side inward on the assumption that you can dial in some decent camber. If you can't get enough the good side might be better mounted on the outside if the tire is going to roll over.

CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter)
CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/22/20 3:29 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Ok, and in the picture above the "good" side is on the left side of the pic, right?

I have good adjustability for camber on all 4 corners. Can't remember what the suggested specs are right now but I can get there.

boxedfox (Forum Supporter)
boxedfox (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/22/20 5:07 p.m.

Measure the depth of the tread using the round holes on the edges. Those are the tread depth indicators. Sometimes these takeoffs come with a lot of grained rubber or pickup from other tyres and it makes it hard to tell how much tread is actually left.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
11/22/20 5:14 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) :

It's hard to tell which side is better, the tire wear looks pretty even . I can see dimples clearly on both sides and the tread grooves are both still there . As boxedfox is suggesting, measure the dimple depths.

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 Reader
11/23/20 7:27 a.m.

Far left of the tire is actual tire.  From the middle moving right it is all OPR on the tire.  Ultimate depth on the right side indicators looks similar to the left.  Just mount and run.  

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
11/23/20 11:27 p.m.

If you can ascertain which side has more meat, mount that side on the side that wears the fastest. If you have lots of camber on the street, it would probably be the inside. If you are on the track, it could the outside.  Or it could be vice versa.   Depends on your car

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cTeC4B6AXPRkhOlhNvWKHbzDH20zFFChEl245F5GdeokiOECuBRxYFafb4OGwWTF