The nicest one you can find for 20k?

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/30/13 7:16 p.m.

Um. No.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
4/30/13 7:22 p.m.

Definitely 911. I've wanted one since I could make engine noises. I never really wanted an NSX, and I still don't.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
5/1/13 7:45 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Mitchell wrote: You guys are taking benchberkeleying to a whole new level.
As far as quality goes, there is another thread somewhere with better choices than either...

Absolutely, I was just having fun... it's amazing how much of a different light you can put on someone by cherry picking photos.

dyintorace
dyintorace UltraDork
5/1/13 7:54 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: In reply to dyintorace: How about this one? Does this help? My son and I cruising Deals Gap. My wife just got home from work in it and I'm just about to take the keys to drive my son to soccer. Supercars aren't this practical.

No, it doesn't help. Curse you! I've been following your thread from the beginning too.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/1/13 8:36 a.m.
JtspellS wrote: So, and play along with this....... A $20k budget when concerning SW20s would probably damn near get you modern supercar performance. I'd buy a beautiful one for $8k, then spend the remaining $12k chasing warp speed. The nicest one you can find for 20k?
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/1/13 8:49 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: In reply to dyintorace: How about this one? Does this help? My son and I cruising Deals Gap. My wife just got home from work in it and I'm just about to take the keys to drive my son to soccer. Supercars aren't this practical.

No E36 M3. People scoffed at my posts where I could take two kids and a wife grocery shopping in a 964 very similar to that one ... but I actually took two kids and two dogs camping for a weekend with no drama occasionally. Too practical to get respect from the Itialians even when leaving them in the dust on a racetrack.

I would be lying if I didn't say I'm missing it a little with the warm weather and no motorcycle to console me.

Flight Service
Flight Service UltimaDork
5/1/13 1:59 p.m.
mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/1/13 2:15 p.m.

Slant nose, targa, harness bar, turbo rear sheet metal but a NA 2.7? What a bizarre and yet nearly awesome car. Someone should fall in love with it to justify it's existence.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/1/13 2:18 p.m.

Lotus Eclat
Somebody but this Lotus and prove us all wrong. This is clearly the exotic to own.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
5/1/13 2:20 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Lotus Eclat Somebody but this Lotus and prove us all wrong. This is clearly the exotic to own.

Almost as far from being a supercar as the MR2, but man what a cool car to won this side of the pond. I don't remember that last time I saw one on the road on either side of the Atlantic.

Adrian_Thompson
5/1/13 2:22 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: This is a possibility

I haven't like slant nose 911's since I was 16, but that has a strange atraction. Something about the baby poo brown, the chrome and stainless targa bar all clash so badely that it somehow works. It may not be a supercar, but it sure is a superstrangecar.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
5/1/13 2:42 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: Lotus Eclat Somebody but this Lotus and prove us all wrong. This is clearly the exotic to own.
Almost as far from being a supercar as the MR2, but man what a cool car to won this side of the pond. I don't remember that last time I saw one on the road on either side of the Atlantic.

OK, that Eclat is the funniest ad I've seen for a while. Right off the bat, the engine swap is noteworthy, and the engine and trans have value alone that might approach the reserve. The comments about the owner being mechanically inclined and the car needing new shocks because it veers to the side "here and there" are priceless. Did these have lever arms or something else not easily replaced with some $20 Gabriels in a pinch?

If that was for sale locally I would definitely pay a visit. Lots of potential win there with minimal pay out. Would definitely need to address the headlight motors, I think these had the same motors as TR7's, but I could be wrong.

Flight Service
5/1/13 2:47 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
I haven't like slant nose 911's since I was 16, but that has a strange atraction. Something about the baby poo brown, the chrome and stainless targa bar all clash so badely that it somehow works. It may not be a supercar, but it sure is a superstrangecar.

If not a supercar definitely an exotic

Adrian_Thompson
5/1/13 2:58 p.m.
Flight Service wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Yeah, that three week old left over from a Chinese carry out I found in my fridge is exotic, doesn’t meant it's super though. If not a supercar definitely an exotic
Flight Service
5/1/13 4:31 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Flight Service wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
If not a supercar definitely an exotic
Yeah, that three week old left over from a Chinese carry out I found in my fridge is exotic, doesn’t meant it's super though.

Sometimes, that is enough, besides aren't old 911s supposed to try to kill their owners? That is supercar

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
5/1/13 5:27 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:

Having experience with both, the MR2 is like at 458 Italia, the Éclat is like a Yugo with a body kit! OK, maybe not, that's giving a Yugo a bad name!

Seriously though, thoughts of the Éclat will give me nightmares! If you put both on track, the MR2 would lap it an infinite number of times, as the Lotus would have shed too many parts to make it to the first turn!

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
5/4/13 9:48 a.m.

Genius, or madness?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3758293629.html

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
5/4/13 10:09 a.m.

Genius if you want a front engined car. Madness if you've mad several posts stating you wanted the engine behind you

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
5/4/13 10:19 a.m.

Here's some thoughts after running through just Page 5 of this thread;

It's funny how a Corvette is almost too logical to make sense here, isn't it? It's like irony wrapped up in fiberglass. Speaking of fiberglass, to me, the Eclat is a plastic barf bucket. No idea what it's doing here. And the Buick 215, what?

The MR2 Turbo could be great stuff; 300hp should be easier that falling off the slanted nose of an Eclat, I love them with the rear wing deleted and a serious wheel & tire package, this car isn't a Honda but I bet the aftermarket has this thing covered as far as powertrain & suspension improvements. But I can't see comparing any MR2 to any NSX or 911, it's got JDM Yo! written all over it, not shock & elegance.

And am I the only one that loves 911s... on PHONEDIALS;

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/4/13 10:51 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: $47,995 of obnoxious childhood dreams, Engine also behind the seat.
JIMP. Yeah, my "attainable dream car" sequence has pretty much gone Grand National--->Pantera--->308/328--->NSX--->Elise/Exige - with 911 becoming a recent contender.

What a horrible set of wheels. Why the hell do I have to see a Pantera sitting on baller yO rimz?

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
5/4/13 10:56 a.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

The Pantera seems to be one of the most screwed-with exotic cars out there, probably because of the Ford engine.

Flight Service
5/4/13 11:26 a.m.

and the most overpriced, in the last few years the price has went through the roof on the Pantera

petegossett
petegossett UberDork
5/4/13 12:26 p.m.

I had the pleasure of driving a Pantera once and getting to push it a little bit on some twisty back-roads.

I'm still a fan, and would love to have one someday, but to be 100% honest the experience of driving it is much closer to a muscle-car, than lithe Italian exotic. The car feels big, heavy, bulky - and powerful - which is exactly what it is.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
02JZ0K86RNCiLt0oCZAdcXwxCpxbIJIN1ibqUWpQ0PhXi4o5rwt5J7FuPLQFl3Bc