4 5 6 7
poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
5/4/13 12:29 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: $47,995 of obnoxious childhood dreams, Engine also behind the seat.
JIMP. Yeah, my "attainable dream car" sequence has pretty much gone Grand National--->Pantera--->308/328--->NSX--->Elise/Exige - with 911 becoming a recent contender.
What a horrible set of wheels. Why the hell do I have to see a Pantera sitting on baller yO rimz?

The whole goddamned thing is horrible. Paint, graphics, wheels and all. But this is berkeleying delicious:

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/4/13 12:35 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: $47,995 of obnoxious childhood dreams, Engine also behind the seat.
JIMP. Yeah, my "attainable dream car" sequence has pretty much gone Grand National--->Pantera--->308/328--->NSX--->Elise/Exige - with 911 becoming a recent contender.
What a horrible set of wheels. Why the hell do I have to see a Pantera sitting on baller yO rimz?
The whole goddamned thing is horrible. Paint, graphics, wheels and all. But this is berkeleying delicious:

-LOVE- the Pantera

forzav12
forzav12 HalfDork
5/4/13 1:22 p.m.

If the choices really are limited to the Accord body kit(excuse me, NSX) and the 911-it really comes down to this-if all you care about is the "look", then perhaps the NSX is the way to go. If reliable performance, parts availability and mod parts are important-then 911 without a doubt. The problem with the Honda is that the alloy chassis is ridiculously expensive to repair and there have been cases of the chassis fatiguing over time. Some parts are already difficult to source and as others have stated, the 20k price point will deliver a Japanese turd. 20K will buy a nice 911. If performance is all that matters, the Z06 is the choice(50/50 weight distribution is 50/50 weight distribution regardless of the engine location)_. For a true Supercar experience at that price, how about a Lotus Esprit. Just saw a very nice example sell on Fchat for just over 20k. Turbo goodness, wonderful shape, mid engined and some nice mods.

Flight Service
Flight Service UltimaDork
5/4/13 1:32 p.m.

I am thinking exotic, and that is the true question. All of your statements have already been rehashed except the accord body kit quip, except for the chassis fatigue. That worries me.(You seem anti-Honda pro GM in your entire post) So to me the 911 wins on the fact they of service support and everything else.

The only downside to the Esprit is I don't fit. The Z06 is a great car, a supercar performer, but still not an exotic. If anything, I would say they are approaching Camaro owner with some money category.

EDIT: If I was looking for a street legal V8 Class A track rat - Z06 is the only car on my list, but that isn't the point of this thread.

calteg
calteg Reader
5/4/13 1:55 p.m.
forzav12 wrote: If the choices really are limited to the Accord body kit(excuse me, NSX) and the 911-it really comes down to this-if all you care about is the "look", then perhaps the NSX is the way to go. If reliable performance, parts availability and mod parts are important-then 911 without a doubt. The problem with the Honda is that the alloy chassis is ridiculously expensive to repair and there have been cases of the chassis fatiguing over time. Some parts are already difficult to source and as others have stated, the 20k price point will deliver a Japanese turd. 20K will buy a nice 911. If performance is all that matters, the Z06 is the choice(50/50 weight distribution is 50/50 weight distribution regardless of the engine location)_. For a true Supercar experience at that price, how about a Lotus Esprit. Just saw a very nice example sell on Fchat for just over 20k. Turbo goodness, wonderful shape, mid engined and some nice mods.

Cracks me up that you imply that the NSX is less than reliable, then suggest an Esprit

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
5/4/13 2:38 p.m.
I would say they are approaching Camaro owner with some money category.

Awwww man. That hurt. Have fun eating my E36 M3 as I pass your imaginary 911, NSX, Lotus, whatever, in my imaginary supercharged Z06.

Flight Service
5/4/13 2:47 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Awwww man. That hurt. Have fun eating my E36 M3 as I pass your imaginary 911, NSX, Lotus, whatever, in my imaginary supercharged Z06.

But I noticed you didn't say I was wrong...

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
5/4/13 3:01 p.m.

In reply to calteg:

Haha, no kidding. And is it harder to find parts for an NSX vs an Esprit?

"Hello, Renault? I need transmission parts again...".

calteg
calteg Reader
5/4/13 3:14 p.m.

I've PERSONALLY known two Esprits that have both caught on fire.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
5/4/13 3:23 p.m.

In reply to calteg:

Forum member Dr. Hess's Esprit burned not that long ago, right?

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
5/4/13 6:27 p.m.
Flight Service wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
But I noticed you didn't say I was wrong...

Sure didn't! But as the guy going from driving a pile of E36 M3 hondas to driving an american pile of E36 M3, I'd be breaking the stereotypes! Oh wait - I'm right on time for a (realistically) mid-life crisis.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
5/4/13 9:05 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: But this is berkeleying delicious:

Agreed, it's pretty awesome, even in '70s Brown. However, I'd really rather have the slantnose 911 behind it. Really.

Flight Service
5/4/13 9:21 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

I do like a slant nose 911

forzav12
forzav12 HalfDork
5/4/13 10:35 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: I am thinking exotic, and that is the true question. All of your statements have already been rehashed except the accord body kit quip, except for the chassis fatigue. That worries me.(You seem anti-Honda pro GM in your entire post) So to me the 911 wins on the fact they of service support and everything else. The only downside to the Esprit is I don't fit. The Z06 is a great car, a supercar performer, but still not an exotic. If anything, I would say they are approaching Camaro owner with some money category. EDIT: If I was looking for a street legal V8 Class A track rat - Z06 is the only car on my list, but that isn't the point of this thread.

Not anti-Honda at all(although I think they have lost their way the last few years). Many things about the NSX are "exotic", too bad they stuck a V6 in it. Still fun cars, but as I stated, there are serious concerns for one at the low end of the price spectrum.

forzav12
forzav12 HalfDork
5/4/13 10:37 p.m.
calteg wrote:
forzav12 wrote: If the choices really are limited to the Accord body kit(excuse me, NSX) and the 911-it really comes down to this-if all you care about is the "look", then perhaps the NSX is the way to go. If reliable performance, parts availability and mod parts are important-then 911 without a doubt. The problem with the Honda is that the alloy chassis is ridiculously expensive to repair and there have been cases of the chassis fatiguing over time. Some parts are already difficult to source and as others have stated, the 20k price point will deliver a Japanese turd. 20K will buy a nice 911. If performance is all that matters, the Z06 is the choice(50/50 weight distribution is 50/50 weight distribution regardless of the engine location)_. For a true Supercar experience at that price, how about a Lotus Esprit. Just saw a very nice example sell on Fchat for just over 20k. Turbo goodness, wonderful shape, mid engined and some nice mods.
Cracks me up that you imply that the NSX is less than reliable, then suggest an Esprit

I don't think the NSX is less reliable than the Lotus. I do think there are legitimate concerns about the chassis and parts availablity. I also think the Lotus is more "exotic" at the given price point-that's all.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
5/5/13 12:41 p.m.

650 BHP NSX

It strikes me that power is pretty much a non-issue. If you want a more powerful NSX, the platform will take double the stock with no changes.

This guy went a bit over board (650 BHP) but the article lays out the method.

Flight Service
5/6/13 7:53 a.m.

Yeah it's a Honda so it is a turbo away from making respectable numbers.

Heard anything about the aluminum chassis issues?

Flight Service
5/6/13 7:58 a.m.
wspohn wrote: 650 BHP NSX It strikes me that power is pretty much a non-issue. If you want a more powerful NSX, the platform will take double the stock with no changes. This guy went a bit over board (650 BHP) but the article lays out the method.

It is a pretty thing

kanaric
kanaric New Reader
5/7/13 2:07 a.m.
Duke wrote:
Agreed, it's pretty awesome, even in '70s Brown. However, I'd really rather have the slantnose 911 behind it. Really.

slant nose 911 is also probably 10 times the price as a pantera

Flight Service
5/7/13 8:55 a.m.
kanaric wrote:
Duke wrote:
slant nose 911 is also probably 10 times the price as a pantera

I think they are fairly close depending on condition. Panteras have gotten really expensive.

LanEvo
LanEvo New Reader
5/7/13 10:59 a.m.

For me, the 964 RS is a dream car. Especially in those Miami Vice pastel colors. Love the baby blue and mint green!

For whatever reason, the NSX doesn't do anything for me at all. No way I'd drop $30k on one.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
5/7/13 3:28 p.m.

What about a Maserati Merak?

The Cheap supercar episode on Top Gear didn't make them look as reliable as a Honda, but they look so nice and I don't think that there is the stigma that the 308/328 gives you (can't afford a newer F-car).

They are supposedly in the low to mid $20K range. But not a ton for sale at any given time.

"the Merak was featured in a Top Gear segment against its main competitors, namely the Ferrari Dino 308 GT4 and Lamborghini Urraco. In the end, the Merak's engine blew up and the other two cars also turned out to be unreliable and did not complete the challenge"

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
5/8/13 7:39 a.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: What about a Maserati Merak?

Outstanding idea.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
5/8/13 7:44 a.m.

What about an Aston Martin DB7 Vantage? 6.0L V12 gives it some serious omph, but it is on that fine line of sports car Vs. Supercar. But if we're counting 911's, I'll claim this one. they seem to be available in the mid $20's, but I konw slightly less than zero about running them. They sure are pretty though!

RossD
RossD UberDork
5/8/13 7:48 a.m.

I missed the last couple of pages but what about a Lotus/Caterham 7?

4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xNpjiltFmchJa8ItPNdwRXDZSsL2m2bTpJfgLeyzdCgTixs67MUjmnxlPkzLM89C