1 2 3 4
bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
12/24/18 2:59 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie said:

hen I get too down on myself I just think of heroin junkies who have nothing to show for the fortunes they have spent.

Cheer up!!!  It's the holidays!!!  :)

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/24/18 3:21 p.m.

Yesterday I went mountain biking for the first time in about 5 years. 

Now I'm the old fat guy with a really nice bike that I used to look down on 20 years and 40 pounds ago when I couldn't afford the bike I wanted. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/24/18 3:39 p.m.

"All Prius owners are smug, self righteous pricks."

I now own two. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/24/18 3:50 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

They are

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
12/24/18 4:08 p.m.

I used to make fun of 50 year old guys who bought fancy high powered Italian motorcycles and rode them slowly.............shortly after my 50th I bought an Beta open class enduro which is way more bike than I am rider, so I spend most of my time riding it at less than half throttle.

i also used to look down on 924s and now having driven a few of them while instructing at PCA track day I quite like them. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
12/24/18 4:22 p.m.

Does this mean Prius salesman enablers of the self righteous??

Slammo
Slammo New Reader
12/24/18 6:45 p.m.

I used to look at people with multiple vehicles and say "Why would anyone own so many cars/trucks/motorcycles?  You can only drive one at a time anyway.  You'll spend more on insurance and registration than you could possibly save!  Just have one or maybe two vehicles, that way you can make them exactly how you want them and not worry about things!"

And now I own 7 Subarus, 2 motorcycles, and 1 Mustang, the grand total sum value of which is less than a new Corolla.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/24/18 7:09 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/24/18 7:20 p.m.

I used to say the veloster had a stupid cargo hatch and looked goofy as hell.  Now I own one.

It still has a stupid cargo hatch, and the back end looks dumb.

Also, I own a house.  I constantly tell others not to get one.  But this is a scenario where its because I own a house that I say this.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/24/18 7:21 p.m.
John Welsh said:

"All Prius owners are smug, self righteous pricks."

I now own two. 

But only one is registered and you move the plate back and forth between them?  Brilliant!

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
12/24/18 7:35 p.m.

The most common thing I've joked people for over the years is not driving their cars to "keep the miles off." Can't say that applies to me.

"Why does your car only have two pedals?" And now I preach that the Mercedes 722.1 and 722.3 as amazing. Disconnect the vacuum to "firm" up the shifts and keep it cool. What a lovely race car transmission!?

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
12/24/18 8:02 p.m.

When I was racing motorcycles I never understood guys who were just participating versus try to win. Now 32 years later I'm thankful that I'm able to participate, especially given all the people who dream of racing and won't ever get the chance.

B13Birk
B13Birk Reader
12/24/18 8:24 p.m.

I used to joke that I would never own two things in my life time with absolute certainty. 

A fedora and a Miata. 

That no self respecting car guy would own a hair dressers car. 

Im about to buy my second miata. Im happy to report that I still do not own any fedoras.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/24/18 8:46 p.m.

I used to say corvettes were for old men who hate racing. 

I now own a C5. 

I used to think Prius drivers were all yuppie vegans who only shopped at Whole Foods. 

I now own the Lexus version of the Prius. 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
12/24/18 8:53 p.m.

I paid someone to do front brakes on my Buick.    Feel free to make any joke you feel applies.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
12/24/18 9:02 p.m.
B13Birk said:

I used to joke that I would never own two things in my life time with absolute certainty. 

A fedora and a Miata. 

That no self respecting car guy would own a hair dressers car. 

Im about to buy my second miata. Im happy to report that I still do not own any fedoras.

This seems to be a repeating theme.  Sometimes I think this board is a support group for people who's self-concept was completely upended when a cute little underpowered roadster inexplicably showed up in their driveway.  

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
12/24/18 11:05 p.m.

I never thought I'd reach a point without a manual in the fleet, but I'd be OK with an all autos now.  

My wife and I swore we'd never own a minivan.  10 years in, we can't imagine life without one!

And I grew up as a Chevy guy who loved Camaros. I've never owned (or even driven) a Camaro, but I've owned three Mustangs.  Go figure!

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
12/24/18 11:08 p.m.

Buick laugh

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/24/18 11:19 p.m.
dj06482 said:

I never thought I'd reach a point without a manual in the fleet, but I'd be OK with an all autos now.  

My wife and I swore we'd never own a minivan.  10 years in, we can't imagine life without one!

And I grew up as a Chevy guy who loved Camaros. I've never owned (or even driven) a Camaro, but I've owned three Mustangs.  Go figure!

WOW

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
12/25/18 12:12 a.m.

When I was building hotrods, I joked that restoring a car was easy. It's just "paint by numbers" after all.

Now I fully understand how difficult it is to do a perfect, correct restoration on a vehicle. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/25/18 12:14 a.m.

I drive an automatic 4 cylinder n/a minivan! 

(with rolled fenders that were required by the crazy suspension and wheel/tire combo)

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
12/25/18 12:18 a.m.

I was and am philosophically opposed to cars that are nice enough to care about. Now I own a car I'm desperately in love with. I drive it a lot, but I'm scared to walk away whenever I park it and clean it far more carefully than I thought I ever would.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
12/25/18 1:20 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

5 yrs ago I was 40 lbs lighter and had done some pretty cool fitness things.  Now after a kid and knee surgery I’m a fat old guy with nice bikes too.  The new house is near a major bike store so group rides are in my future.  You can do it too.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
12/25/18 1:24 a.m.

I always used to slag off suburbanites but never really hated the suburbs.  Now despite being a 13 min drive from the White House I am essentially living in suburbia.  I no longer walk the neighborhood for upwards of ten miles because there is jack E36 M3 over here on this side of town.  Jack E36 M3. indecision

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn SuperDork
12/25/18 1:45 a.m.

You know the stupid guy who spends all his time working on and cleaning a motorcycle then never rides it?  This guy spends hours polishing a piece of mechanical art, that is me.  Also who adds weight buying chrome, bikes should be lean, mean, and built for speed.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Eb4oCsIa9ZkHQaM5em3AXYnnKR1rQ7rroevnjaIfdZCf7wsXve7B4pnipo4rKeFj