gonegray25
gonegray25
5/24/10 3:58 a.m.

Ok, have another project idea for the discussion table. I've been mulling over the idea of a v8 "all wheel drive" 1998+ ford ranger using a '96-'98 5.0 ford explorer or mercury mountaineer w/ the full time awd x-fer case as the powertrain donor. The way I see it, idea is completely feasible since the ranger has a factory 4x4 drive already, and the explorer/mountaineer frames and suspensions are almost identical to the ranger's.

So, here's the project layout as I would build it: Take one swb 1998-2002 ranger reg cab w/ the stepside bed and add a 1996-1998 v8 explorer/mountaineer drivetrain (5.0 w/ AOD trans & awd case), build the 5.0 up w/ go-fast goodies, add supercharger or custom turbo, lower the truck 4" front & 5" rear, add rear roll pan & bed topper. Add some 17-18" rims and drive it w/ some spirit.

Definitely know there are many variables involved w/ this swap, but it could be done economically & using all ford parts to boot! Anyway, love this project idea, but I haven't found that anyone has done it yet (or at least posted about it anywhere) and that might be for a reason.....

So.... Feel free to pipe in! :D

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
5/24/10 6:30 a.m.

The only issue with making this work is getting the front suspension of a 4WD Ranger low enough to handle. The beam axle front suspension requires very tall packaging where the GM front drive is more compact. Reengineering the Ranger front suspension is an option but not a reasonable inexpensive one.

Look at how tall the lowered Saleen Explorer is.

blizazer
blizazer New Reader
5/24/10 6:33 a.m.

Good thinking. How about a 3.8L Supercoupe donor motor instead?

Wowak
Wowak SuperDork
5/24/10 7:30 a.m.
blizazer wrote: Good thinking. How about a 3.8L Supercoupe donor motor instead?

Why go with a 6 when the Exploder 5.0 is pretty much drop-in?

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
5/24/10 12:32 p.m.

This combo is one of many "dream vehicles" I also thought of, but don't have the time, money, or expertise.

I also thought I was the only one who wanted a "lowered" AWD Ranger. (Another of my "dream vehicles" is a lightly lowered Bronco II.)

M030
M030 HalfDork
5/24/10 1:25 p.m.

I know someone who has done a 5.0L swap into a 1996 Ranger 4X4...and I'm still trying to buy the truck from him.

He didn't lower his, but it sure does seem to be the perfect winter truck and tow vehicle.

gonegray25
gonegray25 New Reader
5/24/10 1:46 p.m.
racinginc215 wrote: It's almost a bolt together except your cab box combo. without frame cutting you have to use the extended cab and the 6 foot box. other then that the ranger body will bolt right up the frame it's been done about dozen times that I can think of. As for the drop those years Expo's and Mountaineers don't use the Twin I beam type suspension and DJM makes a kit to go 4/5

So you don't think the swb reg cab would work w/out some fabrication? I may have to find a v8 expo and do some measuring but I think it would be fine. The engine/trans would sit in the same location in the frame as the original, only it would be a slightly longer drivetrain. Custom driveshafts would be in order, but it seems the fitment would be ok from a bolt in standpoint.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
5/24/10 4:00 p.m.

why dont you just lower and supercharge an exploder?

Autolex
Autolex HalfDork
5/25/10 10:10 a.m.

http://www.explorerexpress.com/

I vaguely remember getting ads from these guys in the mail 10+ years ago... evidently they are still around... maybe they would have something for the suspension department?

armandjones82
armandjones82
9/1/10 10:19 p.m.

I think you need to find out some ford ranger accessories in some shops or sites here in the internet. In doing such research, you'll be able to get something out of it.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
9/1/10 10:33 p.m.

everybody ready your ZAVs, this thread is back from the dead!!!

M030
M030 HalfDork
9/1/10 10:47 p.m.

Canoe?

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
9/1/10 11:02 p.m.

i just looked at armandjones82's profile and that is his only post. i didnt realize that canoes could strike in comment form, i thought they were all their own threads

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/2/10 6:47 a.m.

I don't have a canoe ....

http://www.therangerstation.com/

http://www.blueovaltrucks.com/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sKpF1mb8848HTc39JvvfrfxRGgwCSzMFrrADkMppEkxIV4hi0l3fKYBHaKeVBBzI