1 2 3
Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
8/12/10 1:07 p.m.

As much as I like my current supercharged 97 it has some issues. Fuel management is ancient and causind hiccups, needs a clutch, no intercooler, etc. To fix these problems would cost at least a couple grand to do right by the time all the little things are addressed.

Or I could buy a co-workers wrecked LS1 Z28 for $3000. Its hit low in the nose with a mangled frame rail but he has cobbled it back together to the point its driveable. Also has a new SS hood, C5 'vette wheels, new cheapie headers, and a "big cam" installed. I figure this is the way to go since I get the harness, ECUs, and a bunch of Camaro parts to sell off. The only downside is its an automatic.

So what are used 4th gen. F-body parts worth? Could I re-coupe most of my money selling the carcass when I'm through? Any ideas on the value of my JRSC Miata 1.8, 5-speed, and torsen rear with only 67k miles on them?

There is a GTO for sale locally for $300 and my boss needs a Miata engine for his neices 99. Time is of the essence. Am I nuts or what?

What say you oh wise GRM forum?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
8/12/10 1:15 p.m.

Yer nuts!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/12/10 1:17 p.m.

sounds like youve already made your decision, you just need us to push you over the edge.

GO FOR IT!!!

splitime
splitime Reader
8/12/10 1:19 p.m.

How much money are you willing to spend? Doing it at all right... will be costly still.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
8/12/10 1:26 p.m.
splitime wrote: How much money are you willing to spend? Doing it at all right... will be costly still.

Yes. And the cash is coming out of the house fund i swore I wouldn't touch. Finishing right will require selling off all other projects*-something I've been toying with anyway. The hardest part will be being Miata-less while the swap is taking place.

*There will soon be some Volvos for sale.

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
8/12/10 1:34 p.m.

A GTO for $300???? I want it if you don't.

BTW you're not nuts. V8 Miata sounds like a great idea to me.

Powar
Powar Dork
8/12/10 1:38 p.m.

I'm sorry. Did you say you were selling your cars? Let me know when/if/how much. I do just live 15 minutes away.

This sounds like a whole lot of work for a car that probably won't be any more fun to drive than your current Miata if it were properly sorted.

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
8/12/10 1:47 p.m.

do it

Keith
Keith SuperDork
8/12/10 1:52 p.m.

Having both owned a JRSC Miata and having spent a reasonable amount of time in a LS1-powered Miata, I will respectfully disagree with Powar. The V8 will be more fun

I stopped in to a local service center (used to be Mel's, now it's Yoda's) that has a collection of Camaros parked out front. I'm going to see if I can sell him my Camaro donor for $500. I haven't tried to part out the car seriously, mostly because I'm in a small area that probably doesn't have more than a half dozen 4th generation F bodies in residence. If I were in Denver, I'd be able to get rid of my big high-rise hood, T-tops etc fairly easily.

Want to get an idea of what's involved in the swap? Here are all the parts we use when we do a conversion at FM: http://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/costs.php

Powar
Powar Dork
8/12/10 2:04 p.m.
Keith wrote: Having both owned a JRSC Miata and having spent a reasonable amount of time in a LS1-powered Miata, I will respectfully disagree with Powar. The V8 will be more fun

And you, good sir, are much more qualified than I to make that call. I guess that for me personally, the Miata has never been about big power, so I just don't 'get' the V8 conversions, etc.

I'd probably feel differently about it if I drove one.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
8/12/10 2:11 p.m.
Powar wrote:
Keith wrote: Having both owned a JRSC Miata and having spent a reasonable amount of time in a LS1-powered Miata, I will respectfully disagree with Powar. The V8 will be more fun
And you, good sir, are much more qualified than I to make that call. I guess that for me personally, the Miata has never been about big power, so I just don't 'get' the V8 conversions, etc. I'd probably feel differently about it if I drove one.

Hell just drive the car now with the JRSC and you'll want to up the power on yours-just like everyone else I've let drive it. So on second thought, you probably shouldn't drive it.

Does $3000 seem like too much for a hit cammed Z28? I could probably fix the body and sell it for $5000 easy, but that wouldn't help my Miata one bit. If it were a 6-speed I'd probably have it already. Are the autos worth anything? What can I expect to spend on a trans?

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
8/12/10 2:18 p.m.

volvos for sale you say?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
8/12/10 2:21 p.m.
grimmelshanks wrote: volvos for sale you say?

Yes. I knew mentioning that would get the sharks circling!

The 244 and 142S would be going up for sale. The 745t is the parts hauler so I need it unless somebody lays a bucket of money at my feet. By the end of this weekend it will have a full IPD suspension on it.

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
8/12/10 2:24 p.m.

I'll talk you down. If you build a V8 Miata you have to sell it (or a duplicate) to me for the same cost as the Volvo.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
8/12/10 2:29 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: I'll talk you down. If you build a V8 Miata you have to sell it (or a duplicate) to me for the same cost as the Volvo.

Oddly enough my backup plan for the auto trans is a V8 swap into the wagon. Will an LS1 GM auto work behind an LT1? There are a couple on CL for $500.....

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
8/12/10 2:47 p.m.
Powar wrote: I'd probably feel differently about it if I drove one.

That worked for me!

I've now driven "Elvis", the Flyin' Miata shop car, enough times that I really, really want one. I'd start with an NA car, though, simply because I like them better.

More fun than a turbo Miata? Hmmm...maybe. Definitely better fuel economy (!!) and a better sound. It would be hard to do on the cheap, however, so be prepared to invest a LOT of time or a significant amount of money.

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
8/12/10 2:49 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
tuna55 wrote: I'll talk you down. If you build a V8 Miata you have to sell it (or a duplicate) to me for the same cost as the Volvo.
Oddly enough my backup plan for the auto trans is a V8 swap into the wagon. Will an LS1 GM auto work behind an LT1? There are a couple on CL for $500.....

I have to admit, a LS1 Wagon really has me thinking. Especially if I keep the "turbo" part. The fun part is that it could potentially not be that much more pricey than a new turbo, intercooler, exhaust and stuff...

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
8/12/10 2:57 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Yes. And the cash is coming out of the house fund i swore I wouldn't touch.

That's perhaps an overriding factor, right there. Keeping your own word, even if it's just to yourself, is mighty important. As is investing in a house.

dyintorace
dyintorace SuperDork
8/12/10 2:59 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Or I could buy a co-workers wrecked LS1 Z28 for $3000. Its hit low in the nose with a mangled frame rail but he has cobbled it back together to the point its driveable. Also has a new SS hood, C5 'vette wheels, new cheapie headers, and a "big cam" installed. I figure this is the way to go since I get the harness, ECUs, and a bunch of Camaro parts to sell off. The only downside is its an automatic.

My gut tells me that $3k is a good deal. You could probably get most of your money back out of it, if you are willing to take the time to part it all the way down. That would leave you with a fairly cheap motor, accessories, harness, etc. T56 transmissions can be had for ~$1k (cheaper in some instances) if you shop around.

As for putting it in the Miata, as others have suggested, it sounds expensive. Another thought, if you like open air motoring would be a convertible RX-7. The swap is much easier. The result may not be quite as nimble or have as much 'wow' factor, but still fun nonetheless.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
8/12/10 3:07 p.m.

ill give you 40 bucks for the 142s! lol im very poor at the moment

Powar
Powar Dork
8/12/10 3:09 p.m.
grimmelshanks wrote: ill give you 40 bucks for the 142s! lol im very poor at the moment

$42. You'll get the meaning of life and enough money to gas up the wagon. Win!

Keith
Keith SuperDork
8/12/10 3:11 p.m.
Powar wrote:
And you, good sir, are much more qualified than I to make that call. I guess that for me personally, the Miata has never been about big power, so I just don't 'get' the V8 conversions, etc. I'd probably feel differently about it if I drove one.

The cool thing is that they still feel like Miatas. I spent last weekend taking people for rides in various FM cars at the track, and the most common reaction to the V8 car wasn't to do with the acceleration, but how the car still drove and handled like a Miata. So you retain all the stuff that makes the Miata such a fun car, but then you add the ability to sign your name in molten rubber any time you want.

phinz
phinz
8/12/10 3:38 p.m.

Just do it. That was the eventual intent for her anyway.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
8/12/10 4:04 p.m.

What other problems need to be fixed assuming you carry on with the with supercharger setup?

I don't see a couple grand worth of problems in what you've listed so far. I see like... ONE grand. Tops.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
8/12/10 8:17 p.m.

You guys are such a bunch of enablers.

Bought it. Pics to come. $3k including some snazzy 20" Range Rover wheels and tires.

As for the cost of the fixes-yeah I rounded up but even cutting corners and buying some stuff used its like $2g and a lot more headache work to get maybe 200hp. With the V8 I should get at least 300, possibly at the wheels.

Volvo listings will be up by the end of the weekend so if anybody has money burning a hole in their pocket contact me through the board. I think I need a new water heater

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2s98s9MWg0SzBCMxUvCCZNoBEPSVJgRqucL79U440J2i9mpX36KX7Adhb3NkC6QT