yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
9/9/18 6:30 p.m.

I've been seeing these (2005-2010) for 40k and under with low miles. They seem like a great alternative in that price range. And from what I gather they're reliable. 

Besides the 996tt being the same price range. Why aren't these being recommended more? 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/9/18 6:34 p.m.

the butch 90s Astons?  Always liked the look.  smiley

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
9/9/18 6:44 p.m.

Nah, these: 

grover
grover HalfDork
9/9/18 6:46 p.m.

The ones I’ve driven have been underwhelming and creaky. They’re awfully beautiful though. 

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
9/9/18 7:16 p.m.
grover said:

The ones I’ve driven have been underwhelming and creaky. They’re awfully beautiful though. 

Underwhelming in what ways? 

What did you expect and what did you get?

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
9/9/18 7:25 p.m.

It's hard to get away from just how pretty they are.

I've only driven one on a frozen lake so can't really comment on driving dynamics. 

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
9/9/18 8:04 p.m.
thestig99 said:

I've only driven one on a frozen lake so can't really comment on driving dynamics. 

surprise Was someone hoping for an insurance payout? I would imagine that it wouldn’t be if it did happen. 

grover
grover HalfDork
9/9/18 8:08 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

They didn't deliver on the exotic car feel that I was hoping for I guess.  Also, they felt really poorly made, although I've not ever been in a hardtop.  Doors close roughly, steering wheel noises, dash creaks.  I compare them with a continental gt, which is far less beautiful, but just feels more put together.  But again, they're beautiful and I don't recall the mileage of the few that I've driven.  

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
9/9/18 8:38 p.m.

I looked hard at this generation Aaron’s when I bought the NSX. Drove a DB9 even.  Finding manual transmissions is tough with the DB9s, less so than the vantage.  The two are priced fairly closely, within 20% usually so that’s why the DB9 seemed like a better value. 

Wearymicrobe stories about trying to find a Vantage that didn’t need a clutch were memorable.  The V12 clutch is more robust.  When I drove it, it was certainly beautiful and sounded amazing, but the build and materials quality were not as good as my CLS63, and it was not as fast. Basically, other than being gorgeous, the CLS was just a better car.   That’s why I ended up with the NSX, it was way more engaging to drive, more reliable, and is appreciating instead of depreciating.  The Aston’s sure are gorgeous though.  

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
9/9/18 8:48 p.m.

That's odd.

I have some time climbing around and servicing a 2009 V8 Vantage and it just feels special. The paint is fantastic. The interior is pretty ritzy, the key alone is a heavy solid chunk of  what looks like glass but is probably plastic. The chassis is all aluminium, it has a fancy rear mounted transaxle. It's got a dry sump oiling system with beautiful stainless tanks underhood. The exhaust is a work of art and sounds fantastic. This particular car has the quiet mode exhaust flappers rigged open all the time - it's loud and starts up with a racecar blip/snarl every time. The doors are neat and don't open outwards, rather up and outwards - not lambo style but you'll never catch a high curb with them.

The transmission doesn't like low speed operation at all, but once moving works well. I wouldn't want to spend time in traffic with one.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/9/18 10:06 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:
thestig99 said:

surprise Was someone hoping for an insurance payout? I would imagine that it wouldn’t be if it did happen. 

He's referring to a James Bond movie.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
9/9/18 10:10 p.m.

They look fantastic.  The V8 I drove sounded fantastic.  Fast enough, but not as fast as I sorta expected.  But I was pretty jaded back then...

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/9/18 10:13 p.m.

The single clutch automated trans is really clumsy, but there are a few with a six speed manual.

freetors
freetors Reader
9/10/18 6:49 a.m.

I have a friend that let me borrow his for the weekend a few years ago. I put about 500 miles on it so consider it an extended rental. His has the manual trans. It is a stunningly beautiful car. But at the same time it's very subdued and understated. It's a weird feeling that even though you're in a car that feels very special, nobody gives you a second look. It feels like you're just invisible. Seriously, if you want a car to go out and look cool in, this isn't it.

I hated the clutch feel. It has one of those over center linkage feeling clutch throws that starts out pretty darn stiff and then falls to the floor halfway through the stroke. The DBW throttle is kind of laggy. Between it and the clutch I found it hard to make smooth shifts.

There's a gazillion different seat adjustments which is kinda cool but a little overwhelming at the same time.

Gas mileage sucked. I averaged between 15-18 mpg.

It handles good, but not great. It feels heavy.

In summary if you're looking for a sports car you will be disappointed. But it's an amazing GT car that eats up highway miles in comfort. And the exhaust sounds incredible!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/10/18 7:15 a.m.

These are fantastic cars. The real issue is that in the world of high end cars it does not “win” in any stat. There for it only has style and how it actually drives to sell it. 

I happen to really like the looks of these and having driven a couple I am a fanboy of these. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
9/10/18 7:18 a.m.

I'm just here for the pics

Image result for v8 vantage

Image result for v8 vantage

Related image

Image result for v8 vantage white

Related image

Related image

Related image

Image result for aston forgeline

Related image

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
9/10/18 11:51 a.m.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
9/10/18 12:02 p.m.

I REALLY want one of those, maybe when the kids are out of the house.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
9/10/18 12:02 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

He's referring to a James Bond movie.

Either that or he's Doug DeMuro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poFP7x8hobM

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
9/11/18 1:03 p.m.

Doug DeMuro I am not, but we've met...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners