alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/14/19 2:55 p.m.

So my neighbors' mom parked her BMW over the winter, but she passed a few months ago. (I just found out today).  

In theory, her 15 y,o. daughter can get the car, but I'm not sure if the best idea to give kind of a POS BMW to a new driver like that.

Cosmetically, it's kind of a mess- one window is down (I'll have to look into that), and the paint is pretty bad.

Not sure how it runs- as we are charging it right now to get started- but if it runs reasonably well...

And it's an auto.

Any thoughts on value so that a more appropriate car can be found (they are not car people)?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
7/14/19 3:08 p.m.

Sounds like challenge money at best. I know I wouldn't be in it more than $1500. It sounds like a mess.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/14/19 3:16 p.m.

The thing I would worry the most is how much it will cost to fix.  Although, if the window can be put up, it could at least be driveable.  Moreso if the drivers inside door handle can be made to work.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/14/19 3:32 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

Sounds like challenge money at best. I know I wouldn't be in it more than $1500. It sounds like a mess.

I think this is pretty spot on.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
7/14/19 3:50 p.m.

FWIW, a couple years ago I struggled to sell my 2001 525i, manual, black over black, sport and premium packages, with tons of maintenance history, and an upgraded suspension for $2k. Given what you've indicated about this car, I think you should be elated if you can pull more than scrap value for it.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/14/19 6:07 p.m.

So since this is a useless car, then where to people go for finding parts from cars being parted out?

If it runs, then it needs at a bare min, a drivers door handle, so it can open the door.  I think rigging the rear window so that it's always up is possible, but I won't know until we take the door card off.

The one other thing I'm kind of concerned about is power steering- there's a good amount of oil coming from the resivoir.  

But we will see next week if it needs a new battery or not- going to charge it all week with one of my trickle chargers.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
7/14/19 6:15 p.m.

Junkyards should be full of E39s. You could try BMW-specific forums like Bimmerforums or Bimmerpost as well.

As far as the PS reservoir, they all leak to some degree. Try tightening the clamps first. Unless it's pouring out after that I'd just send it as-is. The hoses aren't cheap last I checked; the reservoir itself isn't too bad if you need one.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/14/19 6:56 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

$1500 seems high to me. You can find them for that, and cheaper, all day long. And I'm talking about a really nice example. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/14/19 8:23 p.m.

We've been looking for an E39 530i for my son who is soon to get his license.  We've seen really nice, low mileage cars for close to $5k.  Decent drivers for around $2500, and cars with issues for around $1500.  Trying to hold out for a manual with the sport package.

Recently drove a low-mileage auto 528, 1998, I think, that was crazy clean.  Guy wanted $3500.  Only problem was the clear on the top surfaces was in rough shape.

1500 would be a top end number for the car described above, IMO.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
7/14/19 9:08 p.m.

You didn’t mention miles, but I’d start at $1500 with that and hope to get $800. They aren’t really collectible and this one isn’t cherry so the market is going to be very small.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/15/19 6:29 a.m.

Given the suggested prices, I think the best option is to figure out how to keep it on the road as cheap as possible.  So hopefully, the powertrain holds up.

I found door handles on e-bay for a decent price, just need to figure out the window.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/15/19 6:36 a.m.

Complete window regulators are 70-120 bucks on rockauto.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
7/15/19 6:53 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

A manual sport 530i is kind of a unicorn, at they were only produced for three years at the end of the model run, and overshadowed by the 540i. Try looking at BMWCCA and brand forums, as that spec is likely to have been specially ordered and may still be in the hands of an enthusiast. The plus is you have a better than average chance of finding a well-maintained one; the minus is you'll pay for it.

In reply to alfadriver :

Pay very careful attention to the cooling system. These motors do not like overheating at all - they're not as fragile as the later all-aluminum motor, but still not what I would call robust, and the cooling components have a lifespan of 100-120k miles on the I6 cars. I realize it makes no sense to spend $5-600 on a refresh, but at least make sure nothing's leaking, that it has good, fresh coolant (not the crappy green stuff), and that it's bled properly.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/15/19 6:58 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Thanks for the note- I'll look for that if we get the car started.

In reply to 1988RedT2:

Odds are that I'll put the window up permanently.  This is going to a 15/16yo, and mom is a single teacher- so I have to be very thoughtful of money.  If selling the car will not get a good car for her, then getting it to live for a few years is all they can do.  Once I see how it runs, I'll get an idea of how reasonable that thinking is.

HundredDollarCar
HundredDollarCar New Reader
7/15/19 3:27 p.m.
02Pilot said:

As far as the PS reservoir, they all leak to some degree. Try tightening the clamps first. Unless it's pouring out after that I'd just send it as-is. The hoses aren't cheap last I checked; the reservoir itself isn't too bad if you need one.

Ditto on the reservoir.  Usually a good hose clamp fixes the inexpensive supply hose from the reservoir.  The crimped pressure hoses can be $$.  The power steering fluid filter is integral to the reservoir so for the cost of a clamp, reservoir and fluid you've essentially done a 100k mile service for not much money. 

Also agree a cooling system overhaul is necessary for peace of mind dependability considering this is a teenager's car, but the upside is decent fuel mileage (ain't no Prius, after all) and a proven safe car in case of an accident.  Possible downside is the condition of the suspension bushings, not expensive if you do the work but can be a PITA.  Mileage is a good predictor for its needs.  How many?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B0JClIg2pssZRpo3lHpKgZM61mbqpZSGWllZwjNXPWueoJAy6n3bNPs1RgDaUH86