3 4 5 6 7
thummmper
thummmper Reader
4/28/11 10:14 p.m.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
4/28/11 10:20 p.m.
thummmper wrote:

Hate to tell you, but it looks like a fat lady with lopsided cheeks sat on your gas tank.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
4/29/11 12:52 a.m.

those are reliefs for a shifter tube, battery cable, coolant tubing to the radiator, e brake cable, etc. I am rerouting most of those so I may be able to fill the valleys and up my capacity a little. I'm in the "playin with it" stage.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
4/30/11 9:59 p.m.

hard lines are here now--from another lhs

johnnytorque
johnnytorque New Reader
5/1/11 9:06 a.m.

Love this project!! keep up the great work, I'm sure I speak for many others when I say I can't wait to see it done!!

thummmper
thummmper Reader
5/5/11 1:25 p.m.

I decided to just build a custom tank out of 16g steel sheet that has more volume and wont go boom in my face. It will house the mopar pump module nicely and have much more volume. all the oopswagen breather tubing and wing tanks can be eliminated as well because there is no split upper areas anymore. the chrysler eeg system doesnt require all that garbage. It vents through the module. heres the top down view thru a transparent floor--this was with the old e brake cable under tension--not the tercel jacketed cable that eliminated the need for the notch-- and the right to left view and the south to north view--the holes in the old bulkhead clue as to the old conduit paths--all up the middle the leaning rounded rectangular hole on the right of center is a hole in the bulkhead that 2 1-1/4" plastic coolant tubes passed through on their way to the radiator- they cost the fuel tank at least 3 gallons on this path. I'll make 1x1 square tube bridges to saddle the coolant tubing in so it doesnt grate on the underfloor surface. I am eliminating all riding conditions.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
5/5/11 2:27 p.m.

You have nice drafting skills, and your project brings me joy.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
5/6/11 12:14 a.m.

thank you

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
5/6/11 12:57 a.m.

Great thread, great project!

thummmper
thummmper Reader
5/9/11 2:04 p.m.

1/2 scale model of the tank so i can get my head around it--the center top area is where the pump module will be. Originally 15 gallons, this will be 18 now.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
5/9/11 9:26 p.m.

91 tercel shifter cable will serve as my ebrake cable and a bracket for the new mopar shifter cable

thummmper
thummmper Reader
5/11/11 12:03 p.m.

ebrake shifter shifter connector will weld into bulkhead and a bracket

thummmper
thummmper Reader
5/14/11 1:15 a.m.

This is a dry slider rod I made to connect 2 identical chrysler shifter cables 16" short--I didnt spend the coin for a custom cable, although eventually i will for #2 on..

thummmper
thummmper Reader
5/14/11 2:22 a.m.

coolant tubing in mockup

thummmper
thummmper Reader
5/17/11 12:14 a.m.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
5/20/11 3:01 p.m.

cooling system is almost ready to install--after paint, I coated all contact surfaces with black RTV

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
5/20/11 3:17 p.m.
thummmper wrote: cooling system is almost ready to install--after paint, I coated all contact surfaces with black RTV

Huh! I never thought of doing that for some reason. Great idea.

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
5/20/11 3:33 p.m.

I really dig this build.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
5/24/11 10:47 p.m.

this is the up and over the tank area and step up between the front seats

thummmper
thummmper Reader
5/29/11 1:25 a.m.

in preparing for reinstalling my new rebuilt steering rack, I started poking around the front suspension on this 22 year old and found broken boots on the upper control arm ball joints. so I removed the entire suspension, except the upper arms, due to an injury to the left thumb, similar to the strike of a framing hammer, but not as bad. the upper ball joint released inside my press tool and it popped and I fell into it, somehow cutting across my thumb knuckle. I have really good circulation in my thumb. I'll probably tape a stick to it so it can heal. cant really manhandle wrenchs until then. I'll fiddle with the uppers, but chicago road salt has given everything a stubbornness that I have only seen under water. I keep finding little pandoras. this could be the last frontier before reassembly. I started at the back and moved forward. I'll give this radiator a whirl. fun

thummmper
thummmper Reader
6/18/11 7:44 p.m.

my microsoft hard drive crashed, losing my total database. 2 weeks later, I report the installation in working order of the throttle cable, the shifter cable, the ebrake cables, the coolant system, and the fuel tank is begun. I have found a jimdandy machinist that will solve all my wierd problems like pressing in my lower ball joints up front [he takes his little tv down from the press because of the boom], the front hub cleanup, front rotor eval [jaguar], the rear beamer hub pattern redrill, the center ring issue, the fuel pump module seal ring [weldable]. left side is the brake eq valve-it used to be all the way to the left bolted to the frame but I had to move it for my mulholland tubes [water]

thummmper
thummmper Reader
6/21/11 9:50 p.m.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
6/25/11 8:39 p.m.

she is ready to tig now

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
6/25/11 10:19 p.m.

impressive! That's really nice work.

thummmper