GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/16/19 1:39 p.m.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/16/lotus-evija-hypercar-ev-launch/

Nice car, could give the NIO EP9 some competition as-is. Now we have to see if the Tesla Roadster 2.0 comes out at the expected price.

Edit: Also if a theoretical 800kw charger were built, it could do a full charge in 9 minutes surprise

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/16/19 1:39 p.m.

It is pretty. Looks like Geely is opening their pocketbooks... 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
7/16/19 1:55 p.m.

A 2000hp car doesn't feel very Lotus to me. Lotus is all about doing more with less, not doing more with even more. This seems more like a Koenigsegg EV to me. Now if they unveiled a ~2500lb, ~300-400hp car, that'd be the Lotus mindset.

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
7/16/19 2:14 p.m.

Damn... 18 minutes to full charge?!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/16/19 2:16 p.m.
NickD said:

A 2000hp car doesn't feel very Lotus to me. Lotus is all about doing more with less, not doing more with even more. This seems more like a Koenigsegg EV to me. Now if they unveiled a ~2500lb, ~300-400hp car, that'd be the Lotus mindset.

Lotus has made a few high-powered supercars before, like the GT1 and Esprit V8 TT. The Omega/Carlton was very much a "more with even more" car too.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/16/19 2:19 p.m.

I have no particular issues with Lotus stepping out of the closet and doing a whole berkeleywad more with way too much. Please carry on.

With the limited use that most hypercars get, it seems that EV is the niche fit for this breed.

Pete

NickD
NickD PowerDork
7/16/19 2:22 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
NickD said:

Lotus has made a few high-powered supercars before, like the GT1 and Esprit V8 TT. The Omega/Carlton was very much a "more with even more" car too.

True, I guess I kind of forget about them. When I think Lotus, I typically think of 7s and 11s and Elans and Elises and Europas

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/16/19 2:32 p.m.
NickD said:
GameboyRMH said:
NickD said:

True, I guess I kind of forget about them. When I think Lotus, I typically think of 7s and 11s and Elans and Elises and Europas

Something else to consider is how much different it is to make that kind of power in an EV drivetrain. The motor isn't the limitation, it's the batteries. We're on the cusp of more crazy electric vehicles because the battery tech is making huge leaps forward in capacity per lb and in the thermal management of those systems. A Tesla roaster was fast, but now they're completely outdone by the P100D and on track by the Model 3 Performance. 

It's a tech war 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/16/19 2:34 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

So what I'm trying to get at is that this is our next step. Batteries are heavy right now. But solid state batteries and other technologies in development can totally change this. 

Speed is sexy. It's a different Lotus, but it's still lotus. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/16/19 2:37 p.m.

This will be an awesome car in some upcoming video game, but I'm doubtful I'll ever see one on the street.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
7/16/19 3:00 p.m.

Does this seem more real than the last round of cars that Lotus talked about and didn't build?  It seems very interesting as a product...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/16/19 3:11 p.m.

^They're taking orders now, so it's not just a concept.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/16/19 3:16 p.m.

Here's an interesting thought from a technology perspective, if you look at the performance numbers and the aero channels in the car, it must be using some battery technology more advanced than li-ion. Could be solid-state lithium or even dual-carbon.

morello159
morello159 Reader
7/16/19 3:19 p.m.

I wonder what pipe dream these specs came from... 2000hp? 800kw charger? Can your typical neighborhood electrical service even support 800kw? If this thing sees production I bet it won't see half either of those numbers...

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
7/16/19 3:27 p.m.
morello159 said:

I wonder what pipe dream these specs came from... 2000hp? 800kw charger? Can your typical neighborhood electrical service even support 800kw? If this thing sees production I bet it won't see half either of those numbers...

That's probably max charge rate at a commercially located charger setup.  A typical house in the US would have something like 200 amp 120/240V split phase service coming in, which is 48kw total.  

Mike
Mike SuperDork
7/16/19 4:38 p.m.

It's nice seeing Lotus trying to kill four birds with about fifteen stones.

I don't have a problem with Lotus making a very powerful car. It's very small, and seems to otherwise be on-brand. The sad part is that, unlike pretty much everything else I've seen Lotus make for the road, this car is 100% permanently unattainable for me. I could buy a number of Lotus cars used. A used Exige, Evora, Elise, Elan, or Esprit is within reach for a middle class income. I could adjust my finances and make a new car happen with some degree of pain. Like a 918, LaFerrari, Chiron, or even SLR, I'll never be able to afford this car, barring some sort of miracle. During the teasers, I had some degree of hope they'd be shooting for a price between a Jag i-PACE and an i8.

I do find it interesting the channels off the front wheel trailing edge vent seem to direct air down. I wonder what the science is, since it looks like it'd create lift.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
7/16/19 4:56 p.m.

Hell yes. 

Will
Will UltraDork
7/16/19 6:19 p.m.

I get that the top speed is probably electronically limited, but $2.1m and 2000 hp with the same top speed as a $60k, 600 hp Shelby Mustang is unimpressive. Wonder why they didn't let it go wild just for marketing purposes.

First world problems and all.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
7/16/19 8:19 p.m.
NickD said:

Colin’s dead.  Berk off.

:-)

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
7/16/19 9:26 p.m.

1973 hp and they can't get to 60 in less than 3 seconds?

They should come to the challenge and watch the Nelsons hit 60 in 3 seconds with 1973 dollars.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/17/19 10:10 a.m.

That does seem to be a bit on the slow side considering the power, even for a single-speed EV. Weight is 3704lbs which isn't bad for an EV. I can't find any info on whether it's RWD or AWD but putting that much power through just two tires would be a waste.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
7/17/19 10:36 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

That does seem to be a bit on the slow side considering the power, even for a single-speed EV. Weight is 3704lbs which isn't bad for an EV. I can't find any info on whether it's RWD or AWD but putting that much power through just two tires would be a waste.

A "bit" on the slow side? 

A very quick Google shows the Tesla model s ludicrous package does 0-60 in 2.4 with like 1/4 of the HP of this "supercar". I'm sure the model s weighs more too.

If you'd like to keep selling supercars, I suggest you make them faster than family sedans.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/17/19 10:51 a.m.

The Tesla S has the advantage of lower gearing, top speeds range from 200 to 250kph depending on model, and it won't sustain those for long. Very few production cars are quicker to 60 than the Tesla S, it held the title of the fastest for a long while, and there's nothing wrong with that, 0-60 isn't terribly important around a track.

The similar NIO EP9 (AWD with individual wheel motors) takes 2.7sec to get to 60 for similar reasons - it gets up to 300kph+ with a single speed. With these high-powered EVs, power is fairly far down the list of important factors in 0-60 times; grip is the main bottleneck, and gearing and power-to-weight ratio are the next most important factors.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
7/17/19 12:22 p.m.

Lotus is doing what every single other boutique manufacturer is doing at the moment. Blasting out a super limited edition and super expensive low production car. The profit margin on this thing is going to be obscene and Lotus/Geely knows it.

It's basically become the main profit driver for Porsche, Ferrari, and Lamborghini et.al who followed the likes of Zonda, Koenigsegg, and Bugatti into building these stratospherically priced super and hyper cars for a particular clientele.

They're interesting but at the same time just sort of a side note as they're as divorced as F1 tech currently is from the rest of the automotive industry. It does look like something I'd have a poster of if I were 10 years old still though.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
7/18/19 10:00 p.m.

This video is a great watch for the Lotus Evija...

https://youtu.be/_VlJUHn8CWM

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FKFwXe8VQsBxGM7M2Zxf91MrXks6G2LfUGmH3tTMgLvQJkFEAKRJTDtnxN74tBIb