1 2 3
dps214
dps214 Dork
10/31/22 11:14 a.m.

That was hilarious but also super risky and dangerous. If any of the cars he slingshotted past moved up to the wall on corner exit, it's a biiiig crash. No way that's allowed in the future. I'm honestly surprised they're letting it stand, considering earlier this year he was penalized for a much smaller and less intentional "cheat".

SuperDave
SuperDave New Reader
10/31/22 11:23 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Think bigger...

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/31/22 11:37 a.m.

A main reason the strategy worked is the new version of the Cup car is so robust.  

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
10/31/22 11:48 a.m.
dps214 said:

That was hilarious but also super risky and dangerous. If any of the cars he slingshotted past moved up to the wall on corner exit, it's a biiiig crash. No way that's allowed in the future. I'm honestly surprised they're letting it stand, considering earlier this year he was penalized for a much smaller and less intentional "cheat".

How is that a cheat?  Also, what was a smaller and less intentional cheat?  The Indy thing?  Per the rules, he followed the letter of the law, but maybe not the spirit.  

I'm going to reference the rulebook because another driver just got a big fine for helping his teammate advance by not racing 100%.  The rulebook states that all competitors are expected to give 100%...hard for me to say that Chastain didn't give 100% with his move.  As he said in his interview, he's out if he doesn't do something different.  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/31/22 11:53 a.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

I can't be the only one that thinks allowing crap like that stand in a big bucks pro series is ludicrous.

Are full throttle blasts straight thru a chicane on the road courses the next great thing?

If you can get a car to stick through a chicane at full throttle you should be allowed to. This was literally the only time this has worked in spite of being tried several times, and likely the only place it could be feasible.  It's not going to become a regular thing. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/31/22 12:01 p.m.

You can see in the video that he didn't just send it and bounce it off the wall. He eased into it, this was a calculated move by someone who had nothing to lose. Got me to watch a NASCAR highlight for the first time :)

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
10/31/22 12:03 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

I mean cut the chicane completely.....

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
10/31/22 12:09 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

This is how I pass in Forza lol

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
10/31/22 12:11 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

I can't be the only one that thinks allowing crap like that stand in a big bucks pro series is ludicrous.

Are full throttle blasts straight thru a chicane on the road courses the next great thing?

I am going to go ahead and disagree here. The day before they had a complete BS move where one competitor blatantly runs over another one and he gets the win, that's ok. Mind you 2 weeks ago someone crashed someone else and got a one race suspension. This guy invents a "better mousetrap" or BS move or whatever we want to call it. He doesn't touch another car, passes 7 cars in 2 corners and people (notably Kyle Larson who did this himself 2 years ago) are all outraged. NASCAR has allowed complete BS in their series for decades with a bunch of drivers treating these cars like bumper cars and being held on a pedestal for it. I say good for you and your huge balls Ross. I hope you win the whole thing and Pitbull does a concert in victory lane while Gallagar helps you smash every pumpkin you can carry.

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
10/31/22 12:13 p.m.
johndej said:

I came here to post that too!. Its the second time he's tried some wild stuff, at indy on the road course he intentionally ran straight at turn one, attacked the slow down chicane, and beat the field out of turn three. It was legal as written but nascar penalized him after the race out of 2nd place.

There was nothing wrong with Ross taking the route he took at Indy but  "According to NASCAR rules for the race, drivers who leave the track should take a stop-and-go penalty where they would come to a complete stop in a designated area and then re-enter the race. If the race ends before the penalty is served, 30 seconds is added to their time. "

As far as last nights move is concerned I can't argue with the cool factor or the results.  He gained five spots, set a new lap record and got into the chase!

I'm a little conflicted however.  I don't really like the concept of drivers just going for it without any real thought about how things are going to work out.  It unquestionably makes for great television but I'm not convinced it's good racing.  Ross has wrecked quite a few of his competitors by just throwing his car in places and seeing what happens.  I can't say as I'm looking forward to every race at Martinsville from now on ending with a bunch of drivers running into the wall, burying the throttle and seeing what happens.

I'm hoping that NASCAR comes up with a rule to prevent that and that this becomes a one time awesome occurrence that lives on in infamy.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/31/22 12:17 p.m.

I was at a Car and Driver competition in 2004 at Ontario Speedway. It was the "Superfour challenge", which started with a 1/4 mile drag run, went into the infield road course and then up on to the oval for a run up to 140 mph then the car had to come to a full stop. It was timed on total elapsed time, and it had become pretty clear to me the year before that the time to 140 mph was a significant factor. Because of that, we had our car stripped clean and were running a hardtop and no passenger side mirror for minimum drag. C+D had set up a cone chicane just after the oval entry to make sure cars didn't hit 140 mid-corner. Approach speed to the chicane was significant, exist speed was slow. 2 seconds per cone, as usual.

This was a conversation as we stood around watching cars run the course...

Keith: "You know, if we went straight through that chicane we could get away with only one or two cones and save a huge amount of time."
Csaba Csere: "But you'd wreck the nose of your car."
Everyone: "Worth it"
Csaba Csere: "Okay, new rule..."

:)

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/31/22 12:18 p.m.

it's a modern interpretation of the penske donohue fuel rig.  full send.  i love it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/31/22 12:19 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

Those are, and have always been, against the rules.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
10/31/22 12:21 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

Thats ok Nick we're adults and can disagree without resorting to insults and gun fire :)

You essentially prove my point,allowing over the top aggression to the point of taking other drivers out is how the sport got to this point.

I used to watch most races,lost interest when they changed the points structure for the last  races and REALLY lost interest when the competition cautions became a thing.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
10/31/22 12:25 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Nascar has always rewarded wrecking to win and creative rules interpretation, they're loving every bit of this and the fans eat it up.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
10/31/22 12:25 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Oh sorta like breaching track limits.....I tend to think of a concrete wall as the track limit.....INTENTIONALLY using it is no different then short cutting a chicane.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
10/31/22 12:54 p.m.

Looks like a Smokey and the Bandit move.....and I love it .....

but you can see the rule book changing so it does not happen again !

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
10/31/22 12:56 p.m.

Pretty much everyone that think this move is cheating or illegal thinks it's perfectly acceptable to smash into another car and wreck them etc to gain a position..  This has been attempted before and just never worked before at other tracks. And according to Dave moody of nascar radio there is now is now a small group of nascar drivers trying to have yet another rule made to prevent this. What a joke. What are they going to to outlaw the darlington stripe.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/31/22 12:58 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

Not really.  Riding the wall is a one and done deal.  Also, very obvious.  Sneaking up on track limits is sorta the way to go fastest.  If you go over too much, or too often, you get a slap.  

Plus, he never went outside the track limits, just right up to the edge of them.devil

Edit:  Also, don't think that I'm in favour of such antics on a regular basis.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
10/31/22 12:59 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Oh sorta like breaching track limits.....I tend to think of a concrete wall as the track limit.....INTENTIONALLY using it is no different then short cutting a chicane.

That's your interpretation, but until yesterday it was not the rule.  That may change today now that someone pulled it off, maybe not. 

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
10/31/22 1:05 p.m.

I just re-read my response, I hope it wasn't taken as an insult or gunfire towards you. 

I am in the same boat on lost interest. The arbitrary rules, the hitting, the competition cautions, the stages, the playoffs all drove me away from NASCAR. I didn't watch the race, just saw the highlights. I am particularly NASCAR annoyed at the moment because I think the lack of consistency with what the did to Bubba Wallace and Ty Gibbs in what is almost back to back weeks is silly. 

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
10/31/22 1:12 p.m.
NY Nick said:

I just re-read my response, I hope it wasn't taken as an insult or gunfire towards you. 

I am in the same boat on lost interest. The arbitrary rules, the hitting, the competition cautions, the stages, the playoffs all drove me away from NASCAR. I didn't watch the race, just saw the highlights. I am particularly NASCAR annoyed at the moment because I think the lack of consistency with what the did to Bubba Wallace and Ty Gibbs in what is almost back to back weeks is silly. 

Every incident has to be taken separately.  Ty punted someone (teammate) out of the lead for the win at the slowest track on the calendar.  To be fair, Ross did a similar thing (unintentionally) to Brad K earlier in the Cup race.  

Bubba right-hooked someone in front of the whole field.  He also got his penalty for the entirety of the incident (walking across the track, pushing past an official, not going to the care center with the medical team), not just the contact.  

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
10/31/22 1:22 p.m.

In reply to jmabarone :

My friend who drives late models (I was his crew chief for a while many years ago) tried to give me the same argument that it's a slow track so it isn't the same. If that's the case should they not wear Hans devices at the slow tracks or race with shorts on? There have been people killed at Martinsville in these slow cars (Richie Evans). I agree they are not all the same and they need to be looked at individually but this incident reminds me of the movie slap shot.

Everyone is in a huge fight instead of playing hockey and then get mad when one guy strips in the middle of the ice. They are saying he is making a mockery of the game, well in my opinion the goons already did that so strip on Ross.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
10/31/22 1:40 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

No sir not insulting at all,happy to hear other view points without insults being tossed in which sadly is becoming the norm in our society it seems

Wally (Forum Supporter)
10/31/22 2:26 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

There are differences, as some bumping is tolerated at short tracks, particularly for a win. Not using safety equipment is an odd argument, one if the reasons it's tolerated is because of the safety equipment. Cars, helmets, and improvements like the HANS device have made racing far safer than they were when Evans and Jarzombek were killed almost 40 years ago. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
klBjmfHwbCKpunflGg6KwLgW8BWK1x20TUHKbo8QjgGj4Ul7PJtZ4VKL3seYGxd5