JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/19/19 3:28 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Lods-671A84

In which our hosts attempts to learn to TIG weld live on the air after watching a few videos on the internet. Is a TIG welder right for you? Or should you just stick to self-tapping screws and JB Weld? Don't even waste our time with the "this guy can't weld" comments. We know. Joi…

Watch more videos

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/21/19 9:11 a.m.

So, everyone working on their welding this weekend? 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
12/21/19 9:20 a.m.

I find a decent MIG will do 95% of a "regular-guy" car build, and take 1/10 the time. Especially for sheetmetal bodywork, it's essentially a manual 3d printer for steel.

But it sure is nice to have a TIG. It opens the door to building fuel tanks, modifying charge pipes, intercoolers, radiators, anything aluminum. Also really helps with thick-to-thin welding like putting threaded bungs on panels or suspension links.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
12/21/19 9:35 a.m.

A MIG will do most things a hobbyist needs to do, and should be the first welder you buy.

I added a TIG a few years ago.

I don't use it very often.  In fact, when I do, I usually have to spend some time practicing before doing the 'real' work.  That said, it is absolutely worth having one!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/21/19 9:42 a.m.

My Tig has been gathering dust for a lot of years. I fire it up on occasion, but since it requires that you use it often to be proficient, I default back to the MIG.

Pete

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
12/21/19 10:20 a.m.

I bought a TIG first, because "if I'm going to buy only one welder...."

It kicked my butt for a while as I tried to learn it, and for a time I regretted buying it.  But now, I love it.

I did end up buying a cheap 110V MIG when I couldn't tack the headers together in the engine-bay/dash-board of the V8 Pontiac Firefly. Too hard to get my helmeted head, both hands, contorted body, and work a foot pedal, and still be able to see. MIG for easy quick-and-dirty tacking!

Every welding process has its place.

VegasNick
VegasNick Reader
12/21/19 10:29 a.m.

If you really want to learn TIG (and lots of fabrication skills) Look up Justin The Fabricator and The Fabrication Series on YouTube. Justin is bad ass, and he's an excellent teacher. 

https://thefabricatorseries.com/about/

I was able to interact with him a bit when we lived in Vegas and he can make learning welding very simple, even for the slowest of us. 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
12/21/19 2:12 p.m.
mke
mke HalfDork
12/23/19 10:58 a.m.
Rodan said:

I added a TIG a few years ago.

I don't use it very often. ....

Funny, I can't even remember the last time I fired up the MIG. I TIG EVERYTHING, I just love it, so neat and controlled.....once you get the hang of it that is.

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
12/23/19 11:41 a.m.

I picked up an Eastwood AC/DC Tig nearly 5 years ago after my cheapo MIG finally stopped working and didn't touch another MIG machine until earlier this year.  My nephew wanted to learn to weld for a school project, so being a good uncle I picked up a new MIG and started using one again albeit mainly for tack welding my own stuff.  I have to say, I much prefer TIG welding.  Unless I'm welding aluminium, it's quiet, and for either AC or DC, there's no sparks to burn holes in things.  I'm sure if I were doing bodywork (like MGB sills, or floors) the MIG would be the preferred welding method, but for building spaceframes, headers, and suspension parts, the TIG is my favourite. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
12/23/19 6:22 p.m.

I had this discussion with a machine shop owner in about 1993.  Except the argument was stick vs. MIG instead of MIG vs. TIG.

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
12/24/19 9:50 a.m.

I bought a MIG back in 1988 and used it for most everything. I did have access to a Ox/Ac torch and did use that to braze things together. In 2001 I went and bought a TIG after having used a TIG at a shop that a semi-pro racer had. Today I do 90% of my welding with TIG. I use the MIG for exhaust work, mostly to tack pipe together so that I can TIG it later off the car.
When I built a roll cage I use both depending on the location of the weld. Welding upside down with a TIG is way harder than with a MIG.

I'm not in a hurry so the speed of TIG is not an issue.  If I worked on heavy stuff, like 3/16 and thicker steel/alum more I might use the MIG more, but I don't.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4sD11at8rqDdTne8tM8jP8ITYYCfjfywH0Sr7MdQJoykGUUpzxG9KY09g35IsvDb