David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/2/20 9:31 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XKq8r-BnchQ

It’s like real racing: spills, thrills, color commentary. Except this is with Hot Wheels and the like. 

Like what you're reading? We rely on your financial support. For as little as $3, you can support Grassroots Motorsports by becoming a Patron today. 

Watch more videos

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/2/20 9:42 a.m.

3dbotmaker occupies a great little subset of the internet. It's like marble racing but with way better production.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
6/2/20 7:53 p.m.

So it looks.like if you can keep the car straight you could have a decent time. How do you do that? Weight the car a certain way? Better tires?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/2/20 9:35 p.m.

Good question about weight in the car. Maybe something heavy down low helps? 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/2/20 9:42 p.m.

Most of the front runners are about 90 to 100 grams. Tires make a difference. If they stick out they run against the track sides slowing them down it seems. I love the commentary and the banter between 2d and 3d. That and the sound effects are what draws me in. Love 3Dbotmaker racing.

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) SuperDork
6/3/20 12:49 p.m.

Weight and length seem to help.

I've been really enjoying these DRL videos. The banter is good and the audio additions (tires squealing, crash sounds, etc.) really add to the production level.

Also, totally not surprised Crazy Jimmy and Crazy James are related.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/3/20 3:31 p.m.

Totally agree.  The production values and commentary is better than many auto racing series manage, lol.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/6/20 1:42 p.m.

I literally spit out my lunch watching the first round of king of the hill.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/27/20 7:38 a.m.

These guys made a stop-motion Hot Wheels - Grand Theft Auto video and it's the biz.  If you've ever played GTA, it's worth a watch:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F4fkaSS2LF59N7vBb9UKfd9aIc81ryhPVCJbIeOKUUgKu9OE7CLm4j1j9FpUq2Jn