1 2 3 4
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/13/20 7:09 a.m.

Somebody find me a red based one that would work on a first gen 4 door neon.....

Because other than momo, im striking out. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
2/13/20 7:10 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Box4VIR
Box4VIR New Reader
2/13/20 7:27 a.m.

I'll play along.  I copied a BMW art car, I know I know...from manufacturer

Wally
Wally MegaDork
2/13/20 7:45 a.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

That's beautiful, it was my favorite of the Art Cars and works well on the Boxster. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/13/20 8:35 a.m.
Rons said:
_ said:

. And gulf on anything other than what it originally came on is hysterical. Comical at best. 

The Gulf colours are actually John Wyer's colours. After the Gt40 they were used on his Porsche 917s and the Mirage cars that JWAE built and won with.

I think you've got that backwards. JWA used the Gulf colors because they were sponsored by Gulf. https://www.gulfoilltd.com/timeline/sport/

You see Gulf a lot because it's really easy. Doing something that flatters the body lines of a car is a lot harder. Martini liveries - with a few lazy exceptions - were all designed to suit the specific body they were wrapped around.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
2/13/20 8:47 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Somebody find me a red based one that would work on a first gen 4 door neon.....

Trying to keep it "in the family" somewhat I found the following.

This one seems like an obvious choice, but it's only about half red:

It's been done though:

Probably the easiest to execute, but perhaps not very recognizable on anything that's not a Viper:

This one's not that vintage, or widely recognizable, but I like it:

Wally
Wally MegaDork
2/13/20 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Rons
Rons Reader
2/13/20 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I may have over stated the relationship - I read it as Wyer brought Gulf sponsorship to his WEC program that covered various chassis, and the colours were the programs, and not the chassis.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/13/20 11:06 a.m.

Agreed - the Gulf-sponsored JWE team ran a number of chassis under the same colors.  IIRC JWE didn't run the blue and orange on GT40s until Gulf came on board as a sponsor.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
2/13/20 2:51 p.m.

Uuuum JPS!

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
2/13/20 3:01 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Build thread?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/13/20 3:06 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Build thread?

Challenge $2016 entry

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
2/13/20 5:08 p.m.

LouInPA
LouInPA New Reader
2/14/20 7:52 a.m.

Hey GRM, you spelled "BRE Datsuns" wrong.

No one mentioned the great Martini livery on the new 935

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
2/14/20 2:54 p.m.

I like that Martini stripe on the 911.  A local PCA'er here has done a much more extensive Martini livery on his 996 and it looks horrible IMO.  Just the Martini stripe is more subtle.

gutenberg918
gutenberg918
2/15/20 12:20 p.m.

my favorite racecar is Alain Prost's f1. What if Williams Renault made a sports racer, it might look like my Spec Racer Ford Gen3

_
_ Dork
2/15/20 1:21 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Gran turismo 1 is your friend. 

chada75
chada75 Reader
2/15/20 4:17 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Dirt Late Models are guilty of this.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
2/26/20 6:57 a.m.

To me nothing will ever beat well-done Martini stripes on a white Porsche 911, especially if the rims are painted red as well.  Although the gulf oil livery on the right car can look pretty awesome as well.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
2/26/20 9:20 a.m.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
2/26/20 9:26 a.m.

I'm kind of shocked there doesn't seem to be any examples of the Millen Motorsports Pikes Peak RX-7 livery on anything modern.

I kind of want a white ND RF Miata to do it to now. Also a trailer sporting Panasports, but that's a different story.

accumoto
accumoto
2/26/20 10:32 a.m.

How about vintage or vintage-esque liveries on vintage 911's?  

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
2/26/20 10:42 a.m.

My friend and dealer (kinda like drugs but Miata parts) did this in Birmingham Alabama and went to Pike's Peak and Miatas at Laguna Seca.  Keith has seen it in person i believe.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/26/20 10:53 a.m.

Ohh..  an internet arguement about other peoples preferences..  Can I cast judgement as well?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/26/20 11:39 a.m.
Justjim75 said:

My friend and dealer (kinda like drugs but Miata parts) did this in Birmingham Alabama and went to Pike's Peak and Miatas at Laguna Seca.  Keith has seen it in person i believe.

I have! He stopped by our shop. I was about to mention it in response to the Millen comment. Thanks. 

The Renown livery on the ND Miata is new to me. I have to admit I don't think of it as vintage, but it is nearly 30 years old. It's also 100% appropriate for a Miata.

911s aren't modern cars, they wore those liveries when new :)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m8vHuKx0TLoawQTzQ7Kqv6DEUhRijmbLK7n5dLeWbx1AkWCbXK56UxgWXt4u20ds