1 2 3
jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
12/29/15 9:02 a.m.

Plasti Dip is cool, gotta try something else. Bought 25' of Vinyl wrap off ebay for $96. Vvivid Wrap. Removed the plasti dip and went to work. Here is a pic of the hood:

Check out my video of how I did it and everything I used:

https://youtu.be/OEWDUZSUQmY

The rest of the car is currently in progress.

Let me know what you think.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
12/29/15 9:34 a.m.

Looks like a fun project. You've got a good sense of humor. Wrapping a car does seem like a cheap & easy(ish) way to get a car to look better when there's paint or bodywork issues.

NickD
NickD Reader
12/29/15 9:39 a.m.

This is relevant to my interests. The paint on my Miata is whipped and I don't feel like shelling out the money for a paint job and then getting my Miata stuck in bodyshop hell. Plus, down the road I'd like to flare it and swap to the RB Type II nose, so getting it painted and then getting it repainted would be stupid.

Of course, then when I mention getting it wrapped, my friend is telling me if I'm going to get it wrapped, I should get it done in the Renown paint scheme.

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
12/29/15 9:54 a.m.

In reply to NickD:

Do it! LOL The reflection in the wrap is pretty good even when you have to stretch it, it doesn't distort. I haven't tried anything with a pattern though.

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
12/29/15 9:55 a.m.

In reply to pres589:

Thanks, yeah I think it can be a little time consuming, but it doesn't make a mess at all and it's a lot less prep work.

Robbie
Robbie SuperDork
12/29/15 9:57 a.m.

Looking really good. Couple tips (I had a car professionally wrapped for a business vehicle):

1. Don't worry about the bubbles until you can let your car sit in the hot sun for a day or two.
  2. You can prick the really big bubbles (like the size of a quarter or bigger) with a pin to let the air out.

I was actually flabbergasted about how many bubbles were in the wrap as delivered, but they told me they would go away after the car sat in the sun for a day or so. They were totally right. I was impressed. I think they used 3M vinyl, but yeah, worth a try. I know it is the wrong time of year and wrong part of the country to let a car sit in the sun, but you never know.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
12/29/15 10:05 a.m.

I was just thinking that vinyl may be my solution for the etched in letters on the door of the two fiddy I bought. I was in the sign business and still have friends there. I could just run white or silver vinyl down the side of the entire truck to mimic the factory 2 tone paint. Easy peasy.

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
12/29/15 10:56 a.m.

In reply to Robbie:

Didn't even think of that. I keep that in mind if I'm trying something new in a few months

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
12/29/15 10:57 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

Yeah man I think it's really great stuff for small or large projects. The new stuff lays really easy.

Stampie
Stampie Reader
12/29/15 11:13 a.m.

I'm thinking of doing this to my wreaked Miata. Cheaper than painting the new panels and I'm thinking about a color change to bright orange.

strayturk
strayturk New Reader
12/29/15 11:24 a.m.

I checked out vvivid's ebay store, and 25ft roll is priced at $185. Did they have a 50% off special??

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
12/29/15 11:33 a.m.

In reply to strayturk:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25ft-x60-Dark-blue-matte-vinyl-car-wrap-DIY-sheet-roll-film-satin-sticker-decal-/291431190880?hash=item43daa71160:g:SgkAAOSwirZTw~Yf&vxp=mtr

I think there is a discount when you buy more then $50 worth. Don't buy it all up. I may need some more, Lol

strayturk
strayturk New Reader
12/29/15 11:39 a.m.

In reply to jr10cross:

Good deal! Thanks

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/29/15 12:46 p.m.

FYI, there's a big difference in the ease of application of various vinyls. We use Oracal for our signs, but their car vinyl is brutal to work with. 3M is a lot easier. Dunno anything about VViVid.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
12/29/15 1:11 p.m.

yeah, when our shop originally started doing wraps we tried the Oracal we ran for everything else. We almost gave up on even doing them. Once we switched to 3M it became a profit center.

NickD
NickD Reader
12/29/15 1:42 p.m.
jr10cross wrote: In reply to strayturk: http://www.ebay.com/itm/25ft-x60-Dark-blue-matte-vinyl-car-wrap-DIY-sheet-roll-film-satin-sticker-decal-/291431190880?hash=item43daa71160:g:SgkAAOSwirZTw~Yf&vxp=mtr I think there is a discount when you buy more then $50 worth. Don't buy it all up. I may need some more, Lol

Wow, that dark matte blue is crazy. Hmmmmm.

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
12/29/15 2:38 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

I haven't used the 3M yet but the VVivid wasn't horrible. It was really durable under heat and had really good air bubble technology. A a newbie I fully expected to rip the vinyl and waste $96, but it worked well as I learned. It's thick and progressively stretches with heat. I'm not sure how much 25' of 3M cost, but I like Vvivid. I didn't just do the hood either. I also finished the contoured fender panel which took some learning.

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
12/29/15 2:39 p.m.
NickD wrote:
jr10cross wrote: In reply to strayturk: http://www.ebay.com/itm/25ft-x60-Dark-blue-matte-vinyl-car-wrap-DIY-sheet-roll-film-satin-sticker-decal-/291431190880?hash=item43daa71160:g:SgkAAOSwirZTw~Yf&vxp=mtr I think there is a discount when you buy more then $50 worth. Don't buy it all up. I may need some more, Lol
Wow, that dark matte blue is crazy. Hmmmmm.

Almost went with it myself. It was a toss up.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
12/29/15 3:17 p.m.

Crap now I want to try to wrap my MS3 matte orange

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
12/29/15 3:45 p.m.

That looks good man. Motivates me to work on mine.
So, on the wrap. You went down the side of the hood, then back up on the other side of the flange, right?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/29/15 3:54 p.m.

Compound curves and convex areas are the fun part The hood's a great place to start because it's a relatively easy panel and you get a whole bunch done all at once.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
12/29/15 6:32 p.m.

Avery had a pretty good auto wrap as well, it was cheaper than 3m but was comparable. 3M is the best for car wraps though.

As an aside I ran a sign shop for ten years and even back then we were doing a wrap a day, printed or base and cut vinyl overlay.

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
12/30/15 7:51 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: That looks good man. Motivates me to work on mine. So, on the wrap. You went down the side of the hood, then back up on the other side of the flange, right?

Nope, I started in the middle, maybe closer to the top/windshield and worked my way out.So, middle to top driver-side corner then I went to the other side and finished the top passenger side corner. Then I worked my way down. I should really get one of those head cams, but it's hard to not spend the extra money on the car. LOL

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
12/30/15 7:57 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Compound curves and convex areas are the fun part The hood's a great place to start because it's a relatively easy panel and you get a whole bunch done all at once.

Tell me about it

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/30/15 8:53 a.m.

the paint on the hood of my disco is shot. It looks like somebody tried to detail it with steelwool. I picked up a flat black vinyl wrap for the centre raised section. The truck now looks worlds better and it is practical as it cut down on glare coming up from the paint

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lj17sI2ie6TQnGQCL1gpRW4SIgEuABx2XgCMu1OHYTnLiRlMaq7gXl9R3jAxgqfk