irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/28/13 6:32 p.m.

Related to my previous thread, but now that I've narrowed my choices down, I thought of one more that I literally know nothing about, but seems to fit my requirements. So, learn me on the XC90. They seem to be around with low miles for pretty good prices. Are they a headache waiting to happen? Or generally good vehicles?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
12/28/13 6:40 p.m.

Early models with the GM trans had serious issues with chronic failure before 60k. I'd think that you won't have to worry about that anymore a decade later, but something to keep in mind. They should have Volvo's venerable "whiteblock" engine but I'm not sure how it is to service on that platform; I know nothing about the Yamaha V8 that was offered later. The AWD is Haldex as opposed to a "real" 4WD transfer case, so I wouldn't plan to do any serious off-roading with one (and remember to do the Haldex fluid service). Otherwise they seem decent enough. That's all I got.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/28/13 6:44 p.m.

Yeah, "serious" offroading isn't a concern at all. The most we every really do with the 4Runner is out on the beach, and maybe some light trails. A haldex system would probably work just fine for my purposes, and it looks like they can tow 5k lbs, so that's sufficient as well. We'd be looking at a 2008 or newer....though it looks like the V8 XC90 from 2009 or 2010 may be a straight-swap money wise with our 2008 4Runner

Not that I trust JD Power that much, but it seems to show no real issues other than a tie rod failure problem in 2007 models.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/28/13 6:44 p.m.

The only thing the Volvo fanatic at work told me when I was looking at them is either get the 5 or the V8 avoid the 6. The reason is the transmission on the 6 is the same as the 5 and it can't handle it. The v8 is a different set up all together.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/28/13 6:47 p.m.

My father has an I6 FWD version.. he loves it. Biggest problem he has had is a blown hose

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/28/13 6:51 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: The only thing the Volvo fanatic at work told me when I was looking at them is either get the 5 or the V8 avoid the 6. The reason is the transmission on the 6 is the same as the 5 and it can't handle it. The v8 is a different set up all together.

Yeah, just to clarify it would definitely be the V8/AWD version were I to go this direction.

beans
beans HalfDork
12/28/13 7:48 p.m.

Buy the nicest 99-03 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 V8 and Quadradrive. Cheap, quick, nice inside, oodles of fun. /endthread

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/28/13 8:54 p.m.
beans wrote: Buy the nicest 99-03 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 V8 and Quadradrive. Cheap, quick, nice inside, oodles of fun. /endthread

I'm not sure why I'd get rid of a paid-off 08 4Runner to get a 5-10 year older WJ, lol...

Anyhow, I have another thread going for suggestions for a larger SUV (with 3rd row seat), maybe back a page or so. I just wanted to specifically know about the XC90, so I made this thread just for that. But the more reading and research I do, the more the XC90 looks like a really cool, really great-driving, complete money-pit and headache....

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
12/28/13 9:12 p.m.

I think the problem with the XC90's reliability, is that the people who bought them, thought they were getting a modern day SUV with the Volvo reliability of old. They seem to be good cars if maintained, but they will not take neglect.

The suspension and brakes are a little on the small size for such a large vehicle, so if you intend to tow 5k, get trailer brakes, and expect more wear on those items. The current Ford Flex/Explorer/MKT is an evolution of an evolution of the XC90 platform.

IMHO, it's the best vehicle I've ever driven in a snow storm. Over my WRX and Audi.

old_
old_ Reader
12/28/13 10:59 p.m.

The early V8s had a problem where water got in to a balance shaft bearing (or something like that, don't remember exactly). Bearing got wiped out and was big $$ to fix.

Also the awd models commonly take out the angle gear.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
12/29/13 2:13 a.m.

When I was at a new/used dealer here we had one in with a blower motor malfunction, by the books it was a 18-19hr job and took me every bit of 18 hrs (front crash bar has to come out!) and the fan alone was around $500.

So typical European woes over all.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
12/29/13 5:44 a.m.
irish44j wrote: But the more reading and research I do, the more the XC90 looks like a really cool, really great-driving, complete money-pit and headache....

This. My step-mom loves hers, but after 8 years, it's starting to become a money pit. The Yamaha V8 requires Premium unleaded, so that's another money factor.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
12/29/13 10:07 a.m.
irish44j wrote: But the more reading and research I do, the more the XC90 looks like a really cool, really great-driving, complete money-pit and headache....

If you research and read enough any car will start to look like a money-pit and headache. I have owned several cars that many on this very board will jump up and down shouting how big a piece of E36 M3 they are, and never had any problems.

Though for your requirements I'm not sure I would go XC90...

car39
car39 HalfDork
12/29/13 12:39 p.m.

The V8 also gets 8 mpg around town with one person, unless you're willing to shift the automatic, really work at it, and run premium. Then you can get it to double digits. Try to find one with maintenance records. The brakes and front suspension pieces are regular wear items. The motors are all stout, the early v8 problems were VERY early, and most broke quickly. There is an issue with some of the 3.2 six cylinders being underfilled with oil due to incorrect dip sticks.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
12/29/13 4:36 p.m.

XC90, Flex and Explorer are all built on the same chassis. Ford's will be less cash than the Volvo.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
12/29/13 8:41 p.m.

Check everything made out of rubber: spring seats, transmission torque mount, control arm bushings, subframe bushings, engine mounts, the engine stabilizer mount, etc. They have a lot in common with the S60. Someone in the shop I worked at replaced the engine in one of these (20 hour book time) and it took him the entire week. Also, the third row seat is small.

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
12/30/13 12:00 p.m.

Not sure about the V8 but my wife has been driving an '07 3.2 I-6 for about 5 years and so far, knock on wood, it's been pretty reliable. The 3rd row seat is tight and probably best for kids but with the third row seat up there is still enough space to put a carry-on size suitcase back there. Ours is fully loaded with DVD entertainment system, which the kids love, seat heater, Navigation, parking assistance thingy, Xenon head light, and folding side view mirror. The reason for going I-6 vs V8 is because the I-6 uses regular gas instead of premium and my wife doesn't care so much about more power from the V8. My wife drives hers mostly on the Dulles toll road and DC traffic and she gets about 16-17mpg on average. To be honest the I-6 is not the fastest thing in the world but the fact that it uses regular instead of premium really helps when you're just driving it around town. Btw, the driver seat is very comfy for long drive, I've driven it from DC area to Florida and Toronto with no problem at all. When I did my research I think I learned that the transmission issue was more with the 2.5t version. Also, since it looks the same as the new one it still looks like a new car even now especially if you get one with Xenon headlight which looks way better than the non-Xenon headlight.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
12/30/13 12:35 p.m.

3rd row XC90/70s were very popular at the dealership I used to work at, I sold quite a few there. Only real compliant I've noticed from them is maintanence can get expensive and gas mileage is not very good.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nGTLMWpWCWRBfM7KxpZDfS9DzfAsLhQQsRca7ptfYgDQ2T9iDMBWc7yl8YGgMcxl