1 2 3 4 5
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/28/20 7:43 a.m.

Made a list of everything needed to get done on the car prior to its first "event"...did I mention it's going to be competing in a trial of speed this coming weekend?  August 1rst.  Uh...4 days from now.  Yep.  And driving over an hour to get there.  And then, hopefully, back home. 

This morning I crossed a big item off the TO DO check list:

The wheels were off the 122 we campaigned in LeMons during 2008-2010.  14" wagon wheels.  The tires on them were 10 years old and hard as rocks, though they still held air.  The new tires, please note, are a _slightly_ different tread style. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/28/20 11:55 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

_Then_ we'll see about a

Hot Rod Amazon.  laugh

the other kind of HRA!

7/29/20 8:11 a.m.

The exhaust had an annoyingly loud tick to it, so I checked into that last night.  It was, not pretty.  The downpipe had a major crack right at the manifold.  Attempts to unbolt the downpipe resulted in broken fasteners and increasing frustration.  Things escalated after that...

The muffler was pretty crusty too. 

And fell off.

Along with the pipe running to it.

And thus, I ended up basically rebuilding the entire exhaust.  I had this muffler kicking around a box I'd gotten from somewhere:

I do not have a tubing bender.  I did, however, have several randomly-sized bits of pipe.  And an angle grinder.

It's all on the car now, working on getting some clamps made up and hangers hung.  Should be ready for a test today.  The carburetors are back on the engine, too, along with another manifold from my spares stash.  Keep your digits crossed there's no other major issues....racing in less than 3 days!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/29/20 9:02 a.m.

Trying to follow along. Can't quite figure which chapter you are working from?wink

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/29/20 9:25 a.m.

Following.  Best of luck. 

Where to Start With DC Comics In 2020

7/29/20 10:42 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

The one where he breaks everything 6 years ago, lets it sit in a field and get rustier and dirtier, and then drags it out hoping he can fix all its problems in 2 weeks and dominate. 

7/29/20 11:08 a.m.

Going back in time a week or so; my son and I tinker on "Blue Bird" for a morning and eventually...

7/30/20 12:05 p.m.
buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/30/20 4:35 p.m.

Gotta love that SU induction sound!

7/31/20 1:17 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Yeah, it sounds way sweeter in real life than through my Blackberry's microphone.

Torqued all the lug nuts last night and started packing up for the race this weekend.  For those curious, there's an SCCA rallycross at the Harrisburg Farm Show complex up in PA tomorrow morning.  Spectators are not really allowed, but they told me there's an access road along the north side of the field where folks can park and watch the whole field at a distance. 

Made a few test laps of the backyard on the new snow tires and they worked great.  Heading out tomorrow morning at 6AM!

8/1/20 7:51 a.m.

Great Day for the race!

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
8/1/20 8:11 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) :

if only there was a local exhaust guy :P

Dude them old firestones are fantastic in the snow (which doesnt exactly apply here).

Have fun!

8/3/20 12:35 p.m.
Saturday was the day of the rally.  After 2 weeks of wrenching at night, BB was ready.  I'd fitted the new snow tires and flushed and bled all the fluids.  One of the rear brake lines had rusted through- I bent up a new one from that NiCop line using the old fittings and flared it myself.  The brakes felt great. 

Saturday morning I fired it up and headed out.  It was about 60 miles drive to the rally course, and I stopped and got coffee and a breakfast on the way.  Met a friend at the gas station where I stopped to fill up and he followed me the rest of the way.  No issues at all though- temperature was fine, and it ran well.

We got to the course around 7:30AM.  There were a few people there, and everyone loved the Amazon.  Unloaded the car and checked everything over for the race, then went through tech and walked the course.  It was pretty cool- some elevation changes, laid out in a field of maybe 10 acres or so, lots of dirt and grass but very dry.  And when we started racing- man did it get dusty!  The seals on the 122 were dry rotted and I left the windows down anyway to cool off- and the car was covered in dust inside and out. 

It worked great, though.  The snow tires dug in, and even without a limited slip I was still able to get good traction and have enough power to power-slide around some long sweeping turns.  The won-out shocks made it bounce a bit, but it was fun and I was pretty fast, or at least felt like it.  Everyone else had modern cars (except for a '61 Saab who was done up in full African rally livery, very cool) and most were faster, but few (except for the Saab) looked or sounded as cool. 

Lost a good-sized chunk of body filler here. 

I need to check my times; I'm pretty sure I was last in my class, but I think I still beat a couple of other cars in stock class.  I had to run "prepared", which is a step up from stock, but only because of wider than stock wheels and the electric cooling fan.  Prep cars are allowed to run a limited slip, which I did not have, and other modifications. 

I didn't have to wrench on a single thing all day, which was great, and drove home without a problem, other than having to wear a dust mask in the car with all the silt from the rally course blowing everywhere.  When I first accelerated onto the highway on the way home, a giant cloud of brown dust blew up and probably surprised a lot of other drivers.

Sunday I power washed the car and fitted the street tires back on.  I vacuumed out the interior but still need to give it a good wipe down.  The plan now is to fix up the driver's seat (it's collapsed and needs new webbing) and figure out how I can mount rear seat belts so the kids can go for a ride.  :-D

8/3/20 12:42 p.m.

Link to the results.

My class:

The results are interesting.  I did come in last in class, though not by much- 12.6 seconds over the course of 5 runs.  The competition was a Miata built and driven by a guy who does spec-Miatas (though I believe was a rookie at Rallycross) and a big old E39 wallow-boat driven by a seasoned rallycrosser.   31/40 overall, so not dead last. 

lxnm
lxnm Reader
8/3/20 1:36 p.m.

And you didn't spin a bearing or generally develop rod knock, making the Volvo significantly faster than one of the Subarus out there.  Quite the accomplishment, that thing was cool as hell.  

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
8/3/20 1:50 p.m.

Hey, it was great meeting you and seeing the car out there this weekend.  You looked like you were having a lot of fun with it.  I was working grid while you were running, and ran our turbo Miata in MR.  Tyler (red Jeep) took pictures and got some cool shots of the Volvo: https://powers2440photos.smugmug.com/Susquehanna-Rallycross-8120

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
8/3/20 8:09 p.m.

That looks like it was a blast! I need to drive a 122 in anger one of these days.

8/3/20 8:13 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

8/3/20 8:44 p.m.

In reply to Katya4me :

Great meeting you, too.  You all were driving clean and fast in that Miata, from what I could tell from my corners.  I don't think I "plus one'd" either of you all day.  Had a lot of fun, and thank you for sharing those pictures! 

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/4/20 7:15 a.m.

Some of the DC locals who went were loving on the Amazon on FB. Bryan is a good dude, glad you got to run with him. I didn't know he had an e39!

8/4/20 7:57 a.m.

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, we were chatting most of the time in between runs.  Good times.  I think the E39 was a loaner car...he sure drove it like it wasn't his!  wink

IIRC it was a 200,000+ mile beater with rust holes and missing trim, the amount of which had increased by the end of the day. 

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/4/20 11:32 a.m.

Very happy for you.  Glad to see you had such fun with a fairly limited outlay of $$ and labor.  This might have been the recipe to renew your inspiration on the other Volvo.  Good luck.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
8/4/20 11:50 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, we were chatting most of the time in between runs.  Good times.  I think the E39 was a loaner car...he sure drove it like it wasn't his!  wink

IIRC it was a 200,000+ mile beater with rust holes and missing trim, the amount of which had increased by the end of the day. 

The BMW belongs to Keith Pizio who was running it in MR.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
8/4/20 1:26 p.m.

We've hooned Ted's e39 touring on dirt a few times. Stock ride height and all that wheelbase makes it a stable platform. Not sure about quick direction changes though.

8/4/20 2:05 p.m.

In reply to moxnix :

I was watching the E39 while I was corner working.  It was well driven, but seemed like it bottomed out a lot.  I cringed watching it carom off several larger bumps. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vcQrIZBVesZ9e8uJakBcyUZVAfOsusqvhhzdwiNRwlVr4XJi8F2dif1zpVLVgrSE