1 2
TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
2/2/21 1:46 p.m.

I know a lot of people on here have been following our escapades with the Vortec 4200, so I decided to make a wiki. Check it out here:

https://sites.google.com/view/vortec4200wiki/home

nocones
nocones UberDork
2/2/21 3:11 p.m.

This is awesome.  I've never been interested in these engines until I saw the success you have had with them.

One suggestion would be a generic Swap page with good 3 view pictures (TOP, Front, Side) with dimensions and a table of weights.   

These engines look..  Large.  But then I see you are putting one in a Fiat..

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
2/2/21 3:47 p.m.

Anything the puts more straight sixes on the road is good.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/2/21 5:35 p.m.

very cool!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/2/21 8:14 p.m.

Does anyone have a correlation between the missing teeth on the crankwheel and #1 TDC on the 3500/3700 engines?

You'd think this question is related to trying to run one on Megasquirt, but no!  I want to run an Audi engine on a GM computer.

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) UltraDork
2/3/21 8:00 a.m.

Thank you Calvin! This is amazing. Once my 350 leaks itself to death, this is the route I'd like to go for my El Camino. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
2/3/21 8:11 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

It is very likely 80 degrees BTDC. That it what the 6 cylinder is and the V8s.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
2/3/21 8:12 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

No problem. Couldn't have done it without the help from others. Glad to see the platform growing.

Hmm. I wonder if one would fit in the XJ. 85 more hp. 50 more torque. And there is a engine local with trans and ecu for $600. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/3/21 10:46 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

A lot lighter as well, yes?

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) UltraDork
2/3/21 11:03 a.m.

Calvin, what's you take on the oil squirters on the later 06+ rods? Seems like they would rob oil pressure, similar to the VVT system, but they could also reduce piston temps. Do you seal these up on your builds? Or use the earlier rods? 

Or put more bluntly, what's the optimal combination of long-block parts? Later long-block with early crank? Keep the later rods and block the squirter hole?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/3/21 11:40 a.m.

This is great! I've been very curious about these engines after seeing the results you've gotten with them, and I know nothing about them. Very interested to learn more.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
2/3/21 12:00 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

We've been running bone stock engines with great success for a while. Personally, I would do the oiling mod to the engine and let ride.

As far as best combination of stock parts, they say the 05 and earlier 12 counterweight crank is the one to have. The later rods have a bit more beef, but have the piston oil squirters holes.

We haven't had an engine failure yet, so I'm not sure what to say. The Stude makes a very rowdy 450whp on an 04 engine (only thing done is valve springs). The Fairmont makes a very strong 470whp with lots of room for more boost in my opinion on an 08 engine. 

My advice would be, whatever you find/have, run it. That being said I would avoid an 02 if possible.

Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

Probably a fair amount. But the 4200 is tall. I'm not sure it will fit under the hood. 

The 4.0 tips the scales at 515 pounds dressed. 

The 4200 is 470 pounds. 

The 4.0 is 32 long, 18 tall from the oil pan rail/center of the crank to the top of the valve cover. I need to measure the oil pan depth. At a guess, it's 6" or so.

The 4200 is 30.9 long and 18.85 from the top of the VC to the center of the crank, but the oil pan sticks down another 10 inches. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/3/21 1:40 p.m.

Awesome detail, thanks for this. 

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Never mind, I think I found the guy on Facebook. 

I notice in your tune cabinet you list a Comanche. Is there any build information on that vehicle? I would be very interested in reading up on it. 

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
2/3/21 3:58 p.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

Hmm. I wonder if one would fit in the XJ. 85 more hp. 50 more torque. And there is a engine local with trans and ecu for $600. 

I assume you mean Jeep, but the numbers aren't off for Jaguar XJs either, as well as a likely weight savings from the aluminum block vs iron.

Edit: just saw your comment about the Atlas being really tall, so fitting in a Jaguar probably wouldn't happen if you're not sure about it fitting in a Jeep.  Not that I have a Jaguar to worry about fitting an Atlas in.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/3/21 4:05 p.m.
Schmidlap said:

I assume you mean Jeep, but the numbers aren't off for Jaguar XJs either, as well as a likely weight savings from the aluminum block vs iron.

Oh, somebody has to alert Frenchy to this thread...

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/3/21 5:52 p.m.

Could you lean that over say at a 30 degree angle towards the right side of the car?  You know kind of like the motors in the 944.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
2/3/21 9:07 p.m.

The 4.0 tips the scales at 515 pounds dressed. 

The 4200 is 470 pounds. 

The 4.0 is 32 long, 18 tall from the oil pan rail/center of the crank to the top of the valve cover. I need to measure the oil pan depth. At a guess, it's 6" or so.

The 4200 is 30.9 long and 18.85 from the top of the VC to the center of the crank, but the oil pan sticks down another 10 inches. 

I'm not sure where you got the 470 pound dressed number from. I've weighed a bare long block with no oil in it. It weighed 320 pounds. I have a hard time believing that the accessories add up to 150 pounds. I could be wrong.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
2/3/21 9:09 p.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Never mind, I think I found the guy on Facebook. 

I notice in your tune cabinet you list a Comanche. Is there any build information on that vehicle? I would be very interested in reading up on it. 

Yeah. Not sure who posted that tune. Lol. I'm not the only one adding stuff to the wiki. I have done a good portion of it, but there are a few other guys helping out with it.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/3/21 9:44 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Could you lean that over say at a 30 degree angle towards the right side of the car?  You know kind of like the motors in the 944.

I think you could. A long stroke, in-line 6, installed on a slant...

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
2/4/21 8:21 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Schmidlap said:

Oh, somebody has to alert Frenchy to this thread...

He has told us multiple times that the Atlas is really a Jaguar design that was given to GM as payment for transmissions that GM supplied in the 70s, so I assumed he'd be in here already.

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/21/22 1:10 p.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Just wanted to say thanks for making this. Very interesting reading material! 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iYb8mBsibFUTwixzav0wwDpIvUOLsKykoJALbijvF65SSuxwVjjOPYKgw6MoX5C9