Dootz
Dootz Reader
6/12/19 12:44 a.m.

4 liters of torque off idle and nice midrange grunt, Just wondering if anyone's tossed this into a smaller car for an instant power improvement

I imagine it's probably a bit easier to get than the VQ35 too with all the Frontiers/Pathfinders out there

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
6/12/19 2:08 a.m.

Probably behaves like the truck V6 it is. My guess is not worth it unless you could get it really cheap. And you're probably still going to be looking for a Cd009 if you want a manual trans behind it.  

I am mildly interested to know what kind of parts interchange you have with VQ motors though. Like could you put vq35hr cams in the 40 and get ok results?

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
6/12/19 2:51 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

I have similar questions, since my brain gets tingled at the thought of a lowered, wider track Frontier/Pathfinder as cheap/spacious OneLap SUV class fodder.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
6/12/19 3:11 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Next we need to figure out how much boost the stock vq40 bottom end will hold. I already happen to know the 4wd Frontier trans was also used in AWD Nissan Stageas. 

TJL
TJL Reader
6/12/19 5:29 a.m.

Ive been wanting to get a older nissan truck(hardbody, 720 or older) and put a vq with a manual in it. 

I have the vq in my crew cab frontier. It would be a ton of fun in a much lighter truck with the nanny stuff(full throttle restriction) turned off. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
6/12/19 8:19 a.m.

I remember looking at these when I was planning out the Datsaniti build. For a Challenge car donor, the problems are they're still too new to be cheap enough and they all come with trucky transmissions and a good chance of it being 4WD. The engine came out in 2005 in the Frontier, X-Terra, and Pathfinder. VQ40-powered Pathfinders were automatic only (pretty sure), but the VQ40 X-Terra and Frontier could be had with a 6-speed manual. At some point they stopped and today the Frontier V6 is automatic only.

It's way easier to find a beat up G35 sedan right now, but I imagine in a few years the Pathfinders will make good, plentiful donors if automatic + solid axle works for your swap. I like the idea of swapping them into older Nissan/Datsun trucks. 

FWIW I really, really like my VQ35DE.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
6/12/19 8:41 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

It's way easier to find a beat up G35 sedan right now, but I imagine in a few years the Pathfinders will make good, plentiful donors if automatic + solid axle works for your swap. I like the idea of swapping them into older Nissan/Datsun trucks. 

IIRC, the Pathfinders with the VQ40DE's are IRS?  Frontiers are solid axle.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
6/12/19 9:34 a.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Next we need to figure out how much boost the stock vq40 bottom end will hold. I already happen to know the 4wd Frontier trans was also used in AWD Nissan Stageas. 

If the VQ40DE SBE is anything like the VQ35DE SBE it should be good until about 400 whp.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HV3DuROM0JeIxzavRLf44FgjenFNtazraBIh5Wn8tAj1kpw10P83j8yPpfcW9KFw