1 2 3
jv8
jv8 New Reader
7/15/14 6:42 a.m.

Let's start by ignoring new vs used. For the purposes of this discussion I buy new and hold a long time. My current DD is a WRX STi I bought new in 2003. I just got an offer for about half what I paid in 2003... not bad for almost 11 years. I also only put about 6K mi / yr on back roads so mpg isn't the primary factor.

I'm looking for a fast, fun to drive AWD or RWD 5dr hatch or wagon. On paper the Golf R fixes all the things I didn't like about the '04 STi sedan. The R is a hatch, it has understated looks, and the seats/interior are way more comfortable. I also like the idea of DSG (in theory). I like dynamically adjustable shocks (I put manually adjustable shocks on the STi). I like the increased mpg. I like the understated nameplate (like Subaru) vs BMW/Audi/etc.

Tuners are claiming 3.7sec 0-60 and 12sec quarter mile with just a reflash:

Mk7 Golf R 12sec quarter mile

Not sure I would do that mod but maybe it shows the drivetrain is stout enough to take the "normal" 4.9sec 0-60 abuse reliably?

So what scares me? Owning a VW long term. Maybe this is the first time I buy an extended warranty?

Alternatives? Not much to buy new. Subaru quit making a WRX hatch. There are rumors of a Mazdaspeed3 with AWD but nothing announced. GM quit making the CTS-V wagon and it was twice the price.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
7/15/14 6:52 a.m.

The Golf R seems to tick all the right boxes if you want something with a premium feel and some serious performance. I will be interested in final pricing and the wife's reaction.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Reader
7/15/14 7:49 a.m.

Buy it!

chrispy
chrispy Reader
7/15/14 7:49 a.m.

RWD/AWD wagon is going to be Audi, BMW, or Mercedes. I was shopping "hot hatches" a few years ago and it came down to the Subaru (might be able to find a '14 on the lot), Focus ST (great but ugly, no AWD) or Golf GTi/R (most expensive). I owned a 2003 A3 for a couple of years (no issues) and had a 1987 Golf race car (race car issues). I have 2 good friends with MK4 Jettas (one diesel, one 1.8T) and they have had nothing but normal car issues during their ownership. My limited opinion is that VWs aren't as horrible as the interwebs suggest. There is no reason to ever buy an extended warranty other than to make the salesman/dealership happy.

fornetti14
fornetti14 Dork
7/15/14 7:59 a.m.

I just went for a ride in one this past weekend. I walked away very impressed with the car and its something I could easily live with every day.
It felt much better than my Speed6 and not at all like some of the other VW's I've driven in the past. It pulls great all the way to redline, so stock (for me) was more than acceptable.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
7/15/14 8:38 a.m.

Color me interested......I don't see an option to build one on the VW site?

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
7/15/14 8:57 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

From what I can find, the Mk7 Golf R is a 2015 model not available in the US yet.

chili_head
chili_head New Reader
7/15/14 9:01 a.m.

It has been in Europe as a 2104 model.

jv8
jv8 New Reader
7/15/14 9:15 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Color me interested......I don't see an option to build one on the VW site?

They're currently in transition between Mk6 and Mk7 R's. Mk7's are in Europe now and should be arriving in the states very early 2015. Some dealers are taking deposits but I don't think official orders are being accepted by VW.

I've heard 5 door only, leather only (boo), but choice of manual or DSG.

Pricing on the old R was mid 30's. If you're in to status that's a lot of money for a Golf. If you're in to stealth like me it's a wolf dressed like a sheep...

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
7/15/14 9:23 a.m.

UNenable you?

Do you have a flat-brimmed baseball cap you can wear crooked? What about a pair of DC Sports shoes? A fixie bicycle? You'll need all of those if you buy a VW.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/15/14 9:35 a.m.

I like everything about VWs except my own experience with them.

It has a warranty and you will likely know if it's a crapcan before that is over so... if the price isn't obscene, take a chance? VW fanboys will always buy a performance model so you shouldn't lose your shirt after 3-4 years.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
7/15/14 9:44 a.m.
jv8 wrote: I've heard 5 door only, leather only (boo), but choice of manual or DSG.

Even though I loved my Speed 3, the 5 door VW doesn't get me excited.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
7/15/14 9:47 a.m.

jv8
jv8 New Reader
7/15/14 9:48 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: **UN**enable you? Do you have a flat-brimmed baseball cap you can wear crooked? What about a pair of DC Sports shoes? A fixie bicycle? You'll need all of those if you buy a VW.

Good point... but it can't be any worse than my current situation: a middle aged white guy driving an STi. (I did take off the wing+stickers but still sport the blue interior)

I guess looking at my demographic I "should" be driving an M3 or M5. If they made those in a hatch or wagon I'd be tempted.

I'm old and cranky enough to not care about fashion, stereotypes, or what a car looks like. I only care about driving performance, hauling kids/stuff, and flying under the radar.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
7/15/14 10:12 a.m.
jv8 wrote: Good point... but it can't be any worse than my current situation: a middle aged white guy driving an STi. (I did take off the wing+stickers but still sport the blue interior) .. I'm old and cranky enough to not care about fashion, stereotypes, or what a car looks like. I only care about driving performance, hauling kids/stuff, and flying under the radar.

That's refreshing to hear! Wish more had that viewpoint...

Regardless, a good friend of mine has had one for awhile now and absolutely loves it.

Can't say I'll "un-enable" you either. They're neat cars for a niche buyer such as yourself.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
7/15/14 10:17 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote:

Yeah, it's like 4 door E30s. The rear doors just spoil the way the car looks to me.

rotard
rotard Dork
7/15/14 10:33 a.m.

I cross-shopped these with the Focus ST and Frisbee twins. The performance/$ ratio just wasn't there. I don't remember running across anyone going that fast, let alone with just a flash. A lot of people complained about the heavily front-biased, hefty awd system, the price, and the performance. The general consensus seemed to be that you should just get a GTi, especially if you want to modify it.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Reader
7/15/14 12:28 p.m.
jv8 wrote:
Sky_Render wrote: **UN**enable you? Do you have a flat-brimmed baseball cap you can wear crooked? What about a pair of DC Sports shoes? A fixie bicycle? You'll need all of those if you buy a VW.
Good point... but it can't be any worse than my current situation: a middle aged white guy driving an STi. (I did take off the wing+stickers but still sport the blue interior) I guess looking at my demographic I "should" be driving an M3 or M5. If they made those in a hatch or wagon I'd be tempted. I'm old and cranky enough to not care about fashion, stereotypes, or what a car looks like. I only care about driving performance, hauling kids/stuff, and flying under the radar.

Given your age and such the CC sounds like a good fit. My B6 wagon makes the right noises and hauls stuff but nowhere near 4 sec 0-60. (I suspect you do a lot of those runs in anything however and your repair bill will start to get outrageous, that's a lot of abuse for any car) What about an S4 Avant?

codrus
codrus HalfDork
7/15/14 12:28 p.m.

I'm not a VW hater (I've owned two S4s over the last 14 years), but I have to say that I'm not a fan of the Haldex system used in the A-chassis VW/Audi products. If you're looking for "RWD or AWD" then the Haldex only marginally qualifies, because most of the time it behaves like a FWD car.

I'd second the B6 S4 Avant suggestion. :)

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
7/15/14 12:40 p.m.
jv8 wrote:
Good point... but it can't be any worse than my current situation: a middle aged white guy driving an STi. (I did take off the wing+stickers but still sport the blue interior) I guess looking at my demographic I "should" be driving an M3 or M5. If they made those in a hatch or wagon I'd be tempted. I'm old and cranky enough to not care about fashion, stereotypes, or what a car looks like. I only care about driving performance, hauling kids/stuff, and flying under the radar.

5 series M touring

jv8
jv8 New Reader
7/15/14 1:25 p.m.

S4 Avant hasn't been sold here in years. I don't think the 5 series M touring was ever sold in the states? The 5 series touring hasn't been sold since 2010.

If I'm going used (and expensive) I will find a CTS-V wagon.

Regarding the mk7 Golf R performance - the Nurburgring time of 8:14 is very respectable. Beats many of the cars mentioned so far (STi, GTI, ST, GT86) and right there with the CTS-V Wagon (8:12) and M5 Touring (8:13).

Maybe they improved a lot going from mk6 to mk7?

Regarding value - probably not the greatest bang for the buck... but looking at the lap record list I don't see a lot of cheaper hatch/wagons (MSRP anyway) near that 8:14 time...

Nordschleife times

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
7/15/14 1:35 p.m.

I autocrossed a 2011 Golf R once and it understeers like a FWD car at the limit which isn't that fun. It is still a good handling car if you're not at the limit and you have good tires on it. Plenty of people have complained about reliability issues, too.

You could also look for one of these

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
7/15/14 2:34 p.m.

Last I looked, new VWs only have a 36K-mile/36-month warranty. That is the worst warranty of any new vehicle I've ever seen.

Their website is absolutely awful, though, so I might just not have been able to find the fine print.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
7/15/14 4:03 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: Last I looked, new VWs only have a 36K-mile/36-month warranty. That is the worst warranty of any new vehicle I've ever seen. Their website is absolutely **awful**, though, so I might just not have been able to find the fine print.

I'm not sure that many offer any better warranty than that. Looking here: Cars.com warranty page I don't think that you're going to find many over 5/60, but most are either 3/36 or 4/50.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
7/15/14 4:11 p.m.

As great as they may be, its just too much money, even used, for me to justify it. The price would be the only thing holding me back, though. Had an '07 Jetta, just the 2.5 but great daily driving car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SWrVz0KkAF3AAmG6gUuSIqtde2GgRI5EEDgvrfmHwqITfkRCF7y3tKGA5aE5UpYn