Slippery
Slippery UberDork
8/10/21 6:16 p.m.

Yes? No? What do you guys think?

I have been bouncing this ball for way too long and maybe its time to just start looking for a donor car. I perused Facebook marketplace but as I do not have a FB account I never contacted anyone. 

Anyone here familiar with these cars? What challenges do you see trying to marry the two?

My main concern right now is the oil pan clearing both the front sub-frame and the steering box. I wish I knew someone with a 2.6 close by so that I could look at it and take some measurements. 

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
8/10/21 6:18 p.m.

A couple of candidates that I saw on Facebook ... might have my brother contact them and go check them out:

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/11/21 11:06 a.m.

I don't know if it helps at all, but I am working on a ecotec 2.0 into a 1993 109e. I did have to cut the subframe to get it to fit in. 

It is also very tight to the steering box, and was a pain to get it in the right spot so it clears all the steering components  as well. 

8/11/21 11:08 a.m.

I am in the process of doing a 2.0 ecotec into a 1993 190e. 

For what seems like a good sized engine bay it has been a pain to get it to fit. 

The steering box and steering linkage was the hardest part for me to work around. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
8/11/21 11:30 a.m.

The w210 fits a 6 cylinder but it is a tight squeeze. I'm not sure the engine length between an S54 and an M103.

MB's are set up for front sump engines. The S54 only exists as a rear sump. Not sure if an M54 from an E39(front sump) bolts up, but it's possible.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/11/21 12:42 p.m.

I've often pined over S54 swaps into other cars. But at the end of the day the m3 that the S54 comes in seems pretty hard to beat for the work involved...

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
8/11/21 12:46 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

Yep, as feared the box is a killer. You can convert to a rack but I think that's a recipe for weird handling if you don't get it just right. 

I might bug you for a couple of measurements if you don't mind. 

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
8/11/21 12:51 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

W201s that came with the 2.6 straight 6 have a different radiator support that pushes the front further out and gives more clearance. That would be the car I start with, otherwise I'd have to change more parts. 

You can fit an S54 oil pan in an S52 in order to get the dual oil pickups ... slight downgrade but I guess you can fit the S52/M50 oil pan and pickup on an S54. This would not be a track car so that would be an option .... plus I could sell the S54 bits for around $2k+!

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
8/11/21 12:52 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

I've often pined over S54 swaps into other cars. But at the end of the day the m3 that the S54 comes in seems pretty hard to beat for the work involved...

Already have one of those (e46 M3) lol ... and a full S54 swap as well. Originally the swap was for my e36 M3 but the car runs fine on the S52. 

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
8/11/21 1:01 p.m.

What kind of witchcraft/sorcery does that unit employ?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/11/21 3:14 p.m.

well, if you're looking for suggestions for cars that your s54 swap should end up in (I know you didn't ask), then I submit the following: 

TR6

1972 Triumph TR6 | Classic Driver Market

or, Mustang

A 1967 Ford Mustang 390 Convertible for Summer Time

Or, a dark horse competitor

1989 TOYOTA SUPRA MK3 TURBO (MA70)

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
8/11/21 3:23 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Mostly looking at what challenges I would encounter on a W201. 

I have to say that the TR6 would be nice :)

Maybe steal my brother's Supra and swap it ... he would kill me and it would be a downgrade from the 7MGTE

8/12/21 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Sure just let me know what you want me to measure.

I didn't think my original post worked so that is why there were two. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ewsKSzPwkcsQLZVXnyZlDQHyc4wj58FXGgkKs58008r55IswUfH5RBNp9uGzDO41