carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
7/16/12 9:32 a.m.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.498801836813659.129885.100000515406352&type=1&l=80b3d2b4c7

Now let the arguing begin as to whether they will be able to finish it.

They say they will, although there's no way there won't be some rough edges around it.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
7/16/12 9:50 a.m.

I bet they will. Long, long days, and some will be paying a lot through the nose to finsih. But it will be finished, enough. Korea wasn't all done when the parade came to town, as well- but it went on.

I'm going to give it a few years before worrying about going to the race, though. Seems like it will take a few races to work out all of the main issues for spectators.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
7/16/12 10:22 a.m.

Don't forget the old saying: Rome was built in a day.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
7/16/12 10:25 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Don't forget the old saying: Rome was built in a day.

I thought it was: "Rome would've been built in a day if they had charged $499 for tickets to the Coliseum."

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
7/16/12 10:34 a.m.

It looks like it's pretty far along. I think they could finish it.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
7/16/12 10:44 a.m.

When's the race?

All I know is, I wouldn't want to be the foreman for that job. I'm sure he has a perpetual headache at this point.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
7/16/12 11:10 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: When's the race? All I know is, I wouldn't want to be the foreman for that job. I'm sure he has a perpetual headache at this point.

The race is in November, but they have to have it ready for a F1 inspection team some time before that, technically. That being said, I understand both India and China were late getting their acts together and the races got run. Word is F1 is miles more impressed with the professionalism surrounding construction of this track than those two. F1 will cut them some slack because they don't want to cancel a race, though there won't be any compromise on the safety features.

They've got two shifts of workers every day, each hundreds strong. Yes, they'll make it.

Spectator access will be the choke point, at least for the first race. My understanding is that they are limiting ticket sales to what they think the transportation arrangements can handle. Buses are being brought in from all over Texas to move spectators in and out (extremely limited onsite parking). Texas Motor Speedway's first NASCAR race was an absolute disaster for spectator access and they are very aware of that experience.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
7/16/12 11:17 a.m.

And tms was built at the intersection of a 4-6 lane interstate and a 4 lane state highway at the time, and it was still a disaster. For a while you werent allowed to drive within a couple miles of the track without a ticket on a race weekend, even if you lived nearby. Not sure if they're still doing that though

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
7/16/12 11:31 a.m.
Strizzo wrote: And tms was built at the intersection of a 4-6 lane interstate and a 4 lane state highway at the time, and it was still a disaster. For a while you werent allowed to drive within a couple miles of the track without a ticket on a race weekend, even if you lived nearby. Not sure if they're still doing that though

I dunno, but I have friends that went to that first race and they say it took them 12 hrs plus to get home, even to places around Dallas.

I was driving from Tulsa to Fort Worth one Sunday night a few years ago on a NASCAR weekend. My route took me right by TMS. IIRC, I left the Tulsa area around 5 pm and got to Fort Worth a few hours later. It looked like one long traffic jam going north all the way from where I started south in OKC to when I arrived in Ft. Worth! Nothing but solid headlights coming at me for hours.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
7/16/12 11:50 a.m.

^Yep, I was with my dad at the first two races there.

It was miserable. I was in grade school.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
7/16/12 12:53 p.m.

Yeah and now TMS is barely a blip on the local traffic.

Says the guy who lives only a few short miles from the track.

vern2point3
vern2point3 New Reader
7/16/12 1:51 p.m.

If they get the track pavement down with enough time for it to cure properly, the rest of all the pavement can be just days old and the facility can be used. That's going to be the big hurdle from my proispective.

From the countdown clock in the photo set it looks like with over 120 days to go and the current dry weather that shows no signs of ending, they should get the racing facility finished. Don't know about spectator parking, restrooms and other low-priority items, but the racing facility should be usable.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
7/16/12 2:30 p.m.
vern2point3 wrote: IDon't know about spectator parking, restrooms and other low-priority items, but the racing facility should be usable.

There are plenty of bushes around, or at least there were when I was there a couple of months ago.

vern2point3
vern2point3 New Reader
7/16/12 2:33 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: There are plenty of bushes around, or at least there were when I was there a couple of months ago.

I was being charitable and thinking that porta-johns would be in order instead of permanent facilities.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
7/16/12 4:41 p.m.
vern2point3 wrote:
carguy123 wrote: There are plenty of bushes around, or at least there were when I was there a couple of months ago.
I was being charitable and thinking that porta-johns would be in order instead of permanent facilities.

Well this is F1 and I'd expect them to be a little more high class than Nascar, but I think it would be my duty as a responsible and GREEN individual to pee directly on the bushes instead of putting in a porta potty and having it carted off or in a sewer where it will be carted someplace that probably doesn't need more water.

Just think of it as a drip watering system that is all the rage in the more arrid parts of the world.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
7/16/12 5:00 p.m.

My mom lives in Austin, she told me they haven't done anything to the main road going into Piland Triangle, and nothing will be done before the first race, so it's probably going to be a clusterberkeley to get in and out of that place this year.

On the other hand, it's not too far from the highway or Austin Bergstrom Airport.

I am looking forward to the V8 Supercar race. Maybe it can be an excuse to go visit my mom.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mOELemV9mItOpq1Pg1nvnKQ0rRyA90uO0wNWKFv7Qe6DU9kxkMUr1vvZMzIeH3Sf