1 2
patgizz
patgizz Dork
6/24/08 9:59 p.m.

i might make this an "official" build thread and keep updating it.

started on the 40 pickup yesterday by mating cab to chassis for the first time.

frame is a 1992 S10 unit courtesy of john brown.

i pulled the IRS out of the 90 t-bird today - what a SOB to get out. torched the bolt heads, blew up one tire from fire while my head was right next to it. not fun, scared the crap out of my buddy who was on the other side of the car.

digging deep to the grassroots spirit, the thunderbird is going to be a negative when i'm done scrapping it.

this one's going to be more badass than anything else ever to come out of my sick mind except maybe the belair.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/25/08 12:17 a.m.

Bring it on.

Gimp
Gimp Dork
6/25/08 7:17 a.m.

I need to get to Ohio. Build me some cheap gas and you'll have an extra set of hands.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
6/25/08 7:19 a.m.

I remember that day...

Nashco
Nashco Dork
6/25/08 11:44 a.m.

Looks like fun...I've been away from rust for long enough that I'm slowly warming up to the idea of an older ride again. My VW made me pretty bitter about rust repair for a while, but as they say, time heals. So what's the story on the cab, did you pick up a cab only or are the other parts just pulled and set aside?

Bryce

patgizz
patgizz Dork
6/25/08 1:09 p.m.

bryce,

i got the cab, 2 sets of doors, front fenders, grille surround, radiator, running boards, original frame, hood, tailgate, a bunch of extras and duplicate parts, and beautiful bedsides for $500 last summer. best of all inclusion was the clear ohio title.

there were a set of ratty 41-46 fenders that i gave away to someone with none to work with and an extra set of destroyed running boards that i scrapped. the original frame was hacked to death for a big block, thin in spots, and in general not much good came from it except an s10 rear axle. i gave my uncle the front suspension and straight axle and scrapped the rest.

everything else is in the barn.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
6/25/08 2:07 p.m.

I'm sure you hang there already, but if not check out the HAMB, your build thread would probably be appreciated over there as well. I can't imagine the original frame notched out for a big block, a big block on one of those stock frames would twist it up, notched would just be scary.

So what's driving the choice for the IRS? Also, what are your plans for the powertrain?

Bryce

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago New Reader
6/25/08 2:37 p.m.

excuse my ignorance but what does IHROTM stand for?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis New Reader
6/25/08 2:58 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: excuse my ignorance but what does IHROTM stand for?

Internet Hot Rod of the Month

Took me a few minutes, too....

-Rob

Nashco
Nashco Dork
6/25/08 3:03 p.m.

Did you notice you can't spell IHROTM without "rot"...I think patgizz is onto something. ;)

Bryce

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago New Reader
6/25/08 3:04 p.m.
rob_lewis wrote:
thatsnowinnebago wrote: excuse my ignorance but what does IHROTM stand for?
Internet Hot Rod of the Month Took me a few minutes, too.... -Rob

ah, thank you

patgizz
patgizz Dork
6/25/08 4:21 p.m.

the HAMB guys will stone me unless i put the original frame or some hack job back under it and run a flathead.

i've always wanted to do an IRS setup and figured this one would be the one to do it on. i need to shorten the wheelbase ~10" and to build a couple crossmembers for a thunderbird cradle is easier than shortening the frame or moving up the leaf springs.

if it proves too stupid to make work i'll do the latter and move the leaf spring perches forward and keep the live axle.

drivetrain is another non tradition-friendly piece.

have on hand the above, 4L60-E trans, S&P stand alone harness, tuned PCM.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair HalfDork
6/25/08 5:46 p.m.

it would be bad-ass to buy a flatty head and use it as a plug to make a mold and then pull some fiberglass parts from it, which you could then attach in place of the corvette side covers. BAM! LS1 go with flatty show.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
6/25/08 7:35 p.m.

Although not as powerful as an LSx, I always thought the Quad 4 would be a cool engine in an old ride; with the ignition relocated and some ITBs (either carbs or cleverly disguised injection) they look very old school, similar to an Offenhauser. quad4rods.com sells an adapter to mate it to bunches of different transmissions (including 700R4 and T5) that would make it nearly a drop in on an S10 frame. Of course, the LSx isn't much more difficult and makes nearly double the power while not looking as old school, a fair compromise.

Bryce

patgizz
patgizz Dork
6/25/08 9:00 p.m.

i have pics of a 46 international pickup with a quad 4 and air ride around here somewhere.

i have been itching to stick this LS motor into something for a couple years now.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
6/26/08 1:34 p.m.
patgizz wrote: i have pics of a 46 international pickup with a quad 4 and air ride around here somewhere. i have been itching to stick this LS motor into something for a couple years now.

If you've had it that long, I imagine the itch is getting unbearable.

Bryce

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
6/26/08 2:05 p.m.
patgizz wrote: the HAMB guys will stone me unless i put the original frame or some hack job back under it and run a flathead.

They probably won't like the LS engine, but these days every other thread over there is about how to put some old car body on an S-10 chassis.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
8/13/08 4:18 p.m.

While I was tinkering the other day I thought about this project...any updates?

Bryce

patgizz
patgizz Dork
8/13/08 10:16 p.m.

i have the cab set fore-aft where it belongs now. the fender and hood were temporarily propped in place to get the wheel where i wanted it in the opening. i cut the LH frame horn off dead even with the front of the power steering box and it is tucked JUST in behind the back of the front of the fender. i won't have to worry at all about oil pan/crossmember clearance since the motor will be set back on the chassis relative to stock S10 position.

the frame is a little wide at the kickout, and i need to add on the inside and take off the outside, good news being the inside of the stock rail will become the new outside, so no dimensions can change while i cut things. i'll take plenty of pics of that process.

the brake lines(front AND rear at the same time) popped on the astro so my car stuff keeps piling up.

i did get the engine off the stand, bolted to the 4L60-E, the S&P wiring harness is on, i have new O2 sensors here, and i bought some pretty polished stainless headers that are freaking beautiful works of art. should uncork some ponies too.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
10/2/08 1:12 a.m.

Any new updates?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/2/08 6:26 a.m.

great...

first one of my coworkers scores a pretty nice 50 or 51 ford F-1 for $2500. (has 351w, pretty solid body, a dana rear end)

Then i notice that a nice pilot house dodge that is for sale near me for over a year is still for sale.. it's like 49-51...

Then.. I see this..

Tahnks guys. Thanks a lot.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
10/2/08 7:13 a.m.

I wonder what kinds of bodies you can stick on an s-10 frame...very easy LS swap, lots of suspension options...

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
10/2/08 8:13 a.m.

Considering there are TEN different S10 wheelbase frames (four wheelbases if you count Sblazer 2dr, Sblazer 4dr, S10, S10 lwb, S10 ext cab and 4wd/awd versions of each) You could put almost ANYTHING on an S10 frame

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
10/2/08 8:46 a.m.
John Brown wrote: Considering there are TEN different S10 wheelbase frames (four wheelbases if you count Sblazer 2dr, Sblazer 4dr, S10, S10 lwb, S10 ext cab and 4wd/awd versions of each) You could put almost ANYTHING on an S10 frame

Any thoughts on how modern one could start with?

I like the old bodies, but love the more reliable ammenities.... And the more modern chassis seem to be better handling.

Heck, isn't the Explorer a frame? Get a real late one of them with the IRS. Those HAVE to be cheap now.

Cool project, BTW.

E-

Wally
Wally SuperDork
10/2/08 10:13 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: Heck, isn't the Explorer a frame? Get a real late one of them with the IRS. Those HAVE to be cheap now. Cool project, BTW. E-

If only there was someone at Ford we could ask, maybe an engineer

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
neQIvp0MO9AzPHykE641CnvdNXjXMTOje8Zy0VEol2d6kjEKBfYt2DIOAoqOPfkm