1 2
Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
10/2/08 10:25 a.m.
Wally wrote:
alfadriver wrote: Heck, isn't the Explorer a frame? Get a real late one of them with the IRS. Those HAVE to be cheap now. Cool project, BTW. E-
If only there was someone at Ford we could ask, maybe an engineer

They still have engineers at Ford? Surely the ones who haven't been laid off are smart enough to have moved on by now....

Bryce

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/2/08 10:49 a.m.

cold..

but funny

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
10/2/08 2:10 p.m.
Nashco wrote:
Wally wrote:
alfadriver wrote: Heck, isn't the Explorer a frame? Get a real late one of them with the IRS. Those HAVE to be cheap now. Cool project, BTW. E-
If only there was someone at Ford we could ask, maybe an engineer
They still have engineers at Ford? Surely the ones who haven't been laid off are smart enough to have moved on by now.... Bryce

Nah, the rest of them spend time on internet sites talking about cars...

At lest until the next round.

E-

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
10/6/08 6:32 p.m.

patgizz, you out there?

patgizz
patgizz Dork
10/6/08 9:25 p.m.

indeed. the P71 bodywork and astro vans needing repair had me sidetracked a bit. the vic is painted and one astro is done, the other is going to my uncle to fix since i bent some valves, so that gets all the other crap out of my way.

i ordered and received 4 new fenders, and got the catalog that has cab rust repair panels in it. i've been engineering in brain and on paper. the LSx/4L60-E are sitting on a cart in the garage ready to go in with stand alone harness. i picked up a set of 13" camaro front brakes and adapters to run them on the stock S10 spindles, and a massive 3rd gen Z28 front sway bar that may or may not be too wide. i want to retain the full suspension travel and stock ride qualities on this one but still make it handle like it is tied to the ground.

i'm pretty sure i've ditched the IRS idea and plan to just shorten the frame to move the rear live axle/leaf spring setup forward the required 8.5" since i started with the longest available S10 chassis.

as soon as the belair and corvette get put away for winter the truck is going in the garage and i'll be spending all my free time out there.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
10/7/08 9:30 a.m.

Please keep us up-to-date on this one. Looks really cool.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
1/8/09 5:13 p.m.

Any updates? You mentioned "free" time...what is that, and how can I find some?

Bryce

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
1/8/09 5:18 p.m.
patgizz wrote: and a massive 3rd gen Z28 front sway bar that may or may not be too wide. i want to retain the full suspension travel and stock ride qualities on this one but still make it handle like it is tied to the ground.

what about an S10 ZQ8 front bar? something like 35mm (1-3/8") IIRC. i had one for the front of the lakewood and it was friggin huge!

patgizz
patgizz Dork
1/8/09 9:06 p.m.

free time? wtf is that?

astro is getting shoved out, i'm cleaning up the garage from that mess, and i'll be putting the truck inside and getting on this thing since winter is already half gone and i wanted to get this thing on the road this summer.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
1/8/09 11:36 p.m.

Wow. You guys are truly insane. Want to trade lives? I wanna build a '40 Chevy pickup with an LS1...

patgizz
patgizz Dork
1/9/09 2:04 p.m.

did some measuring, LS1 it is.

patgizz
patgizz Dork
1/19/09 3:48 p.m.

charging up the camera batteries for one hell of an update, and drawing up cab mounts while i wait for the batteries to charge.

details to follow with the pics so you know exactly what the hell you're looking at.

i promise, the wait since the start of the thread will be well worth it, and the truck alone might have "insane build" threads about it on other forums linking back here when i'm done.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/19/09 4:32 p.m.

Pat, if you think you've got an IHROTM contender there, make sure to put it in Reader Rides. If you hit any snags, drop me a line.

And for everyone else... just a heads up.. make sure you've voted for or commented on your favorites, and updated yours. It may be important. Maybe.

patgizz
patgizz Dork
1/19/09 7:43 p.m.

when done i hope so. actually i hope my fabrication skillz are up to snuff enough to go a little beyond. i had a taste of it when my belair was the october 07 IHROTM. it's like crack, i want more.

see updated thread

patgizz
patgizz Dork
1/19/09 7:59 p.m.

see new unclogged thread

Wally
Wally SuperDork
1/20/09 6:00 a.m.

If the jacking bolts still move do yourself a favor when you get a chance. Slather them with anti-seize and thread them in and out a few times. They will move much smoother after that.

patgizz
patgizz Dork
1/20/09 9:00 a.m.

already took care of them - not the anti seize part but the cleaning the threads and lubing them to work smoothly. i'll anti-seize them when everything is done so the silver goo doesnt get everywhere.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury New Reader
1/20/09 9:04 a.m.
patgizz wrote: already took care of them - not the anti seize part but the cleaning the threads and lubing them to work smoothly. i'll anti-seize them when everything is done so the silver goo doesnt get everywhere.

If you ever want to get someone good, rub a little silver antisieze into the engraved letters in their wrenches...they will be wondering how they got silver E36 M3 all over thier hands for weeks

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3JvZvNUUyEINX356jHAUnHHQX6mlTDZfFc5l2uiAFNxmIWO7M4iqFU9rzOMh0Aql