Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
7/24/21 9:27 a.m.

Picked up a bunch of tools recently including these two things. The Glo Melt is obviously for soldering but what else do I need to make it work? It has a 2500W setting, is that enough to solder repairs on radiators? Is it any use or are there better modern equivalents?

The blue thing I was told was for stretching tire beads onto wheels but not sure how it's supposed to work. Again, any use or better off just using tire irons?

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
7/24/21 9:42 a.m.

When I worked at a Mobil station long ago the blue tire stretcher was used to open the tire a bit wider and hold it in place while a patch was being applied. 

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
7/24/21 11:59 a.m.
L5wolvesf said:

When I worked at a Mobil station long ago the blue tire stretcher was used to open the tire a bit wider and hold it in place while a patch was being applied. 

This, we have a similar tool to aid in application of tire repairs. 

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
7/24/21 12:24 p.m.

Cool thanks, can't see me using that then.

Any comments/info on the Glo Melt?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/24/21 12:40 p.m.

That's the biggest damn soldering gun I've ever seen.  It must have a specific purpose, perhaps in a rad shop...

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/24/21 4:12 p.m.

The Glo Melt looks like something Wil E Coyote would wire up to a pile of birdseed.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/24/21 4:18 p.m.

What kind of soldering iron or tip came with that thing?  That will largely determine what you can solder with it.

I assume that's the power cord we can see in the photo - judging by all that tape wrapped around it, it needs to be replaced before you can do anything with it.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
7/24/21 4:25 p.m.

Not much, if any, info out there on the model 105-D1 surprisingly.  Can find a decent amount on other models.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/24/21 5:18 p.m.

The tire stretcher would sit on the post of one of these:

Definitely handy for getting into a tire for patches, especially an old school tall sidewall tire.

I was much faster swapping tires on this old machine than the modern "mag" machines, but these are a lot more vicious with wheel finishes than the mag machines.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/24/21 5:28 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

I mounted and balanced four tires in five minutes with the aid of one of those old 4040s.  You get into a rhythm, and they work SO nice.  Very good ergonomics, at least if you're right handed.

outasite
outasite HalfDork
7/25/21 9:42 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

I taught hundreds of students how to use a then new 4040 for years. With proper hand and tool placement the machine did all the work very quickly. When we updated tire machines it went to the truck program shop. They still use it.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
7/25/21 4:06 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

No soldering iron or tips, just what's in the pic. I plugged it in and turned it on and it hums so I assume it's in working order. Weighs a ton!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/25/21 7:54 p.m.

I will agree that a 4040 or similar can be fast, but I will take a rim clamp all week and twice on Sunday for low profile, or old, or hard, or tough bead tires.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/25/21 8:26 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

When I used the 4040, it was ONLY for steel wheels.  And most cars still had 80, 75, or 70 series rubber.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/25/21 9:12 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I grew up on those.  We bought  at the Volvo dealer, the first Coats RC10A in the province, because Virgo wheels.

It was so, so nice.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FCjn2YTkHMSuSki2huwLt3Bt4U3Rw3sDOh5PbONLM4YJVtO4w34ZKO2GjBBM2qFN