1 2 3 4
GTwannaB
GTwannaB HalfDork
3/22/16 7:12 p.m.

Oh you might find room for a rollbar, you just need to pull the fuse for the retractable top. Everyone wanted a Miata hardtop, this is it. Just don't put the top down. Sexy

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/22/16 7:15 p.m.
GTwannaB wrote: Oh you might find room for a rollbar, you just need to pull the fuse for the retractable top. Everyone wanted a Miata hardtop, this is it. Just don't put the top down. Sexy

So much better than the NC. This is going to be the volume leader for the Miata.

calteg
calteg Dork
3/22/16 7:15 p.m.

Absolutely gorgeous. Shame it'll be over 30k.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/22/16 7:16 p.m.

We'll probably have to wait to find out what it weighs first. The NC was about 80 lbs for the PRHT, and some of that was in the structure of the car - beefed up rear quarter panels, for example. Pretty impressive when you figure the fiberglass NA/NB hardtops were about 40 lbs.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
3/22/16 7:16 p.m.

Yesss, the 90s are BACK!

The JDM Del Sol power targa top was too cool to keep buried forever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7pHdiqbh1Y

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/22/16 7:19 p.m.

Lots of Del Sol, MR2, Fiero...good stuff.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/22/16 7:21 p.m.
calteg wrote: Absolutely gorgeous. Shame it'll be over 30k.

How about $15,600? That's $30k in 1989 dollars, which is the default currency used when evaluating Miata pricing.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
3/22/16 7:32 p.m.

Wow. That is a very good looking little thing. Do want.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/22/16 7:34 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: We'll probably have to wait to find out what it weighs first. The NC was about 80 lbs for the PRHT, and some of that was in the structure of the car - beefed up rear quarter panels, for example. Pretty impressive when you figure the fiberglass NA/NB hardtops were about 40 lbs.

For some of us, it's pretty meaningless.

I'm totally ok if it's 80lb. I've personally lost 50 lb since I got my '99 Miata. That, and the use I plan for the car- 80lb is pretty meaningless.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/22/16 7:35 p.m.

I'd use one for a daily driver, that's for sure. I dig it a lot. I always liked the convenience of the PRHT but it looks awkward with the top up.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/22/16 7:36 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: We'll probably have to wait to find out what it weighs first. The NC was about 80 lbs for the PRHT, and some of that was in the structure of the car - beefed up rear quarter panels, for example. Pretty impressive when you figure the fiberglass NA/NB hardtops were about 40 lbs.
For some of us, it's pretty meaningless. I'm totally ok if it's 80lb. I've personally lost 50 lb since I got my '99 Miata. That, and the use I plan for the car- 80lb is pretty meaningless.

Sorry, I should have quoted. That was in response to this comment:

pointofdeparture wrote: So, how long until someone comes up with a "fixed mount kit" that deletes all the linkages and motors to lose some weight and make it a permanent coupe?
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
3/22/16 7:40 p.m.

I like it. Ok, so it's a MX5 Targa, but boy does it look good. Probably have to look at it once they're at the dealers, it's almost good looking enough to consider trading in my ND LE. Or maybe not .

Type Q
Type Q Dork
3/22/16 7:42 p.m.

Please forgive all my cynical CUV in the other thread. This is cool. I really like it.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
3/22/16 7:46 p.m.

Looks great in profile. Which is the only angle the regular ND looks good.

Not so good from behind, not sure I can get past that look.

The biggest problem with the front is the original styling of the ND. Not good.

I give it a solid thanks but no thanks.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
3/22/16 7:47 p.m.

That's pretty awesome looking. Part of me is sad it probably won't support a roll bar and the other part of me wants one for a daily driver.

Either way I hope Mazda keeps selling enough CX5s, 3s, and 6s to support these cool projects.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
3/22/16 7:48 p.m.

Thats pretty cool, too bad Its too expensive for me

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork

Oh geeeeez. They nailed it! Home run! Better than expected. I was waiting for the PRHT to come out to order one but damn I think I like this better. It's really exciting that Mazda managed to keep it quiet before it's unveil. I wonder if the 124 will get this or if it's a Mazda exclusive?

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Reader

So it's sort of the coupe shape in a PRHT. I like the way it looks. You still don't get as much cargo volume as a pure hatchback coupe, but it's pretty nice to look at. That car is definitely on my list when the MSM gets put out to pasture. Thank you Mazda for making something different.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/22/16 7:53 p.m.

So, when the top is open, is it fair to assume there is no back window?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/22/16 7:54 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: Oh geeeeez. They nailed it! Home run! Better than expected. I wonder if the 124 will get this or if it's a Mazda exclusive?

Maybe Fiat will get a true coupe!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
3/22/16 7:55 p.m.

A whole lot of ehhhh for me. It combines all of the design elements I haven't liked on prior cars.

The Del Sol lives again only now powered.

Bummer. I think this ices it for me. Boss 302 for my next toy.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/22/16 7:55 p.m.
SVreX wrote: So, when the top is open, is it fair to assume there is no back window?

It looks like the back window stays. At least that's what it looked like during the reveal.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
3/22/16 8:04 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
Feedyurhed wrote: Oh geeeeez. They nailed it! Home run! Better than expected. I wonder if the 124 will get this or if it's a Mazda exclusive?
Maybe Fiat will get a true coupe!

They would need to majorly restyle it to make it look good. But I'd be fine with the 124 being a 'vert only.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
3/22/16 8:07 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
SVreX wrote: So, when the top is open, is it fair to assume there is no back window?
It looks like the back window stays. At least that's what it looked like during the reveal.

I hope not - they seem to have a similar wind breaker in them as the convertibles, so hopefully the window will go down.

ptmeyer84
ptmeyer84 New Reader
3/22/16 8:07 p.m.

I really like the looks. Great for a DD. The first picture I saw, thanks to Goodwin Racing's Facebook post, really got me excited. I thought, "It's a targa! Nice, that structure behind the seats will work as a roll bar!" Then I saw the top in motion, and was disappointed. Oh well, still cool.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wYGwEifrG3yEODEK5NoUxlINEFV178sMFaRt0O7rnRyrvckDJaEWRZtjK7lglcL1