1 2
Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/20/23 12:54 p.m.

The OEM shift knob on the Mustang was glued back together by the PO. Naturally, it fell back apart yesterday halfway through a run, so I'm going to replace it. The OEM knob is a multi-piece plastic thing. I'm leaning more toward something that is a solid chunk of something. I also see where some people think heavier knobs improve shift feel or quality. Any opinions on that?

Do you have a go-to knob when it comes time to replace the OEM knobs? My only requirements are it must be threaded like the OEM knob and not some setscrew affair that will invariably come loose at the worst possible time. It also must not glow, sparkle, reflect sunlight, or have designs on it. It's surprisingly hard to find something like that.

The OEM knob.

2014 Ford Mustang GT/CS Coupe auction - Cars & Bids

I'm considering just a plain ball knob similar to this. 

2014 Ford Mustang GT with Many Upgrades | Dallas TX | RPM Garage

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
3/20/23 1:08 p.m.

I am mixed on weight shift knobs on my Integra, I tried a few, but for some reason have gone back to my Spoon duracon shift knob that weighs nothing. I guess I just don't like the feel. I think its a variety of factors, how the shift knob is positioned on the shifter, the feel of the extra weight, etc. 

Powar
Powar UltraDork
3/20/23 1:15 p.m.

I've had the same weighted Team Voodoo shift knob (by Thompson Racing Products) since 2006. It lived on my Miata for many years and is now in the FD. Its the best knob I've had. (lol)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/20/23 1:16 p.m.

I like to remove them and replace them with a vacuum cap and some grip tape, so the shifter looks like of like an exclamation point.

Have had too many problems with transmissions popping out of gear when wheelhop shakes the trans and the shift knob's inertia carries it into Neutral, under load.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
3/20/23 1:23 p.m.

Wonder what the factory knob is like from the Bullitt.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/20/23 1:28 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Ford Mustang Bullitt Shift Knob (15-23) M-7213-M8B - LMR

Also an option but I'm leaning toward black. 

Opti
Opti SuperDork
3/20/23 1:32 p.m.

My biggest concern has always been heat. After running an MGW which would literally burn my skin in the summer, I swore of anything that gets super hot.

Ran a cheap delrin ball in the miata, I like it. I also like the white Hurst style.

Never cared about weight

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/20/23 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

Good thought, summers are pretty warm down here. My main reason for black is it won't show dirt but white would certainly be a little cooler. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
3/20/23 1:35 p.m.

I have not pulled the trigger on one of these yet but they look so cool:

https://www.builtbybasil.com/

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/20/23 2:46 p.m.

Lighter knobs do have an effect on shift feel. This is all based on Miatas (of course), but if you go too light the transmission feels notchier. You need that momentum at the top of the lever to make for a nice smooth shift.

I've been running the aluminum (and one Titanium) Voodoo knobs since the early 90s. They give a nice smooth feel. I even got one custom-made for my classic Mini :) But because they're a chunk of metal, they will get crazy hot in the summer - or more accurately, will quickly transfer heat to your hand. A plastic knob is a lot more useful in a daily car where you might be looking for a little less "character". 

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
3/20/23 3:24 p.m.

What about the old "don't rest your hand on the shifter, as it puts wear on the shift forks" thing, wouldn't a heavy knob do something similar?

I run an aluminum knob on one of my Minis, and a wooden one on the other....can't feel a bit of difference in either the shift quality or feel.

A friend had an aluminum knob on his MINI, his wife knitted him a shifter cozy for it, mostly for  when it was cold, but it would do the trick on a hot day too!  laugh

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/20/23 3:26 p.m.

Minis have a pretty long lever, so a bit of extra mass on the knob may or may not have much effect. And some wooden knobs are weighted.

The shift knob isn't exerting a lot of sideways force on the lever, far less than you would apply by resting your hand on it. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
3/20/23 3:32 p.m.

I knew what the knob looked like.  

spandak
spandak Dork
3/20/23 4:47 p.m.

I like Delrin ball knobs (wow) that aren't weighted. A weighted shift knob ends up feeling synthetic to me, or fake somehow. I would rather feel the transmission than feel the weight of the shift knob. 

Also lighter shifts faster when caning it. I don't care about the speed so much as I care about the lack of momentum. All of my cars have light controls forces though so a light shift matches everything else. 

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
3/20/23 4:51 p.m.

Never really went for the high weight knobs but like a little heft.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
3/20/23 6:21 p.m.

I've been using a $30 delrin shift knob I found on eBay for a decade. Not cold in winter, not hot in summer.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
3/20/23 6:45 p.m.

Weighted shift knows can help smooth a transmission with failing synchros.

Other than that, I'd expect them to wear shift forks and bushings faster from vibration.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/20/23 6:51 p.m.

When I bought my current NB miata, it had a very nice aluminum knob. I kept it for a while, but it always presented a burn risk, especially if the sun was hitting it between runs. 

It went away in the New Years box a couple of years ago, now I have this.

I like it, and it supports my favorite vendor.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
3/20/23 8:28 p.m.

I've made a number of shift knobs from snooker balls.  Nice size and weight, and available in several colors.  Usually available individually from a local game store.  Last time I bought one it was ~$10.  Just drill/tap to suit.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/21/23 8:31 a.m.

I've never cared for weighted value light....  to me shape has always been more important: round, round, or round that's about all I like.  

I do currently have a voodoo knob in my Miata too.  They feel great.  

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/21/23 8:33 a.m.

A choice was made. I went with a slightly heavier knob instead of plastic. I'll just deal with the heat and cold. 

SpeedForm Mustang Modern Billet Retro Style 6-Speed Shift Knob; White 41214  (11-14 Mustang GT, V6) - Free Shipping

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/21/23 12:36 p.m.

Stock. Heavier knobs just help you crash through the synchros. 

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
3/21/23 1:02 p.m.

I actually plan to use a stone shift knob next time around. I don't mind a heavy knob...at least not whn combined with a short shifter. Currently on my MT82 I use a Barton short shifter and whatever resin/plastic knob it comes with....but next time will be real stone for sure, granite or onyx or something. For my T5 I have a 50th anniversay Mustang shift knob...stainless steel I think, really nice weight to that one too. I don't see any synchro damage unless you are slamming it from one gear to another...and then the problem isn't with the weight of the knob, but the way you are shifting.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/21/23 1:09 p.m.

I have one of Norman’s old Miata Club of America Delrin knobs in my Miata and, all these years later, love it. Perfect size, heft, looks, etc.

Also worth a mention: Razo’s round black knobs. I ran one in my EG Civic Si. Very similar in feel and look but with a glossy finish.

Turbine
Turbine Reader
3/21/23 1:49 p.m.

Black Forest Industries makes some cool stuff. This is their GSB. Well made and fits the interior pretty well, imo. And the leather upper keeps it from getting too hot 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8CXpisn1oVMNTv294LshL6eXxG5XXXNRv9HplUGlSoGR9Pq2oSJBBDppsb2cG8GU