6 7 8 9 10
Wowak
Wowak Dork
5/23/08 12:18 p.m.

I'm gonna shut my mouth now for fear of overstepping my role as "lovable pain in the ass." :omg:

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/23/08 1:14 p.m.
Wowak wrote: I'm gonna shut my mouth now for fear of overstepping my role as "lovable pain in the ass." :omg:

You might get tazed bro!

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo Dork
5/23/08 1:27 p.m.

Wow, iadr I was afraid that I would get them all riled up with my posts. Personally, I think Baxter is doing a great job and merely wanted to express some thoughts to make things better the next time around. Typical post-mortem reviews that I've gone through after major projects/tasks are completed. However, you really went too far with your last comment.

As far as moving forward with the board, understand that there are worse boards around for usability, see the Seattle X-1/9 board for the definition of awkward, clunky interface, the Mirafiori forum isnt' much better. Seattle X-1/9 & Mira Fiori and they both do quite well as the epicenters for their respective focus groups.

Think of all of the criticisms as our way of showing how we care and how much we value this site and the interactions we all share here. I think we all want it to be as good as it possibly can be.

With that said, it seems, as usual, the staff are doing too much at once. Par for the course for you fine folks. I guess that is why you all rock so hard. As someone who wants to live vicariously through you folks, I don't want the host to die as it would kill the symbiot(s) Seriously, don't kill yourselves and become grumpy, disgruntled, Primedia goons, okay? Just stay the same lovable, grumpy, disgruntled Motorsports Marketing goons, okay?

Thanks, Stefan

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/23/08 1:48 p.m.

No worries, Stefan--we're the same grumpy, disgruntled MMI goons we've always been. Even though I'm packing up my office so right now I'm a little lost... hard to cope without the dead cactus in its place on my file cabinet.

We'll be more normal in a couple of weeks, after the move. (Sure, we will.)

That guy, however, will still be an asshole.

Margie

Wowak
Wowak Dork
5/23/08 2:12 p.m.
fiat22turbo wrote: Personally, I think Baxter is doing a great job and merely wanted to express some thoughts to make things better the next time around.

Yeah, I'm with you. Lets see.. an entirely new website and I have a whopping ONE major complaint?

I'd say thats pretty solid work right there. Not to mention the tireless, real-time trouble-shooting he did seemingly nonstop for days on end.

All that stuff whatshisdouche said was uncalled for.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
5/24/08 1:17 a.m.
iadr wrote:
I hired a full time guy, Tim Baxter, to work on this and make our websites a major priority,
"Maybe that's the issue..." Ok, not pussing footing around. Not only do I have totally different tastes in websites than your guy, but I find his attitude stinks. I've been through 3 wholesale website changes, and the separation of CM for no reason, and god knows what else- the Ebay subsite crap., etc etc. All unnecessary, unasked for. I'm not concerned whether a website has the lastest trickery, just that it is readable. And this one isn't- Font is wrong, font is too small, screen formating is horrible. Listen! I got mad enought to never have bought another one of your magazines after the *last* website debacle! Think about it, and fire Tim Baxter. A 100% waste of money (and skin.)

Sorry iadr, but Baxter's attitude thru this whole ordeal has been phenomenal... Unlike your own.

Granted, he's gotten a little testy at times, but HE is the one going without sleep for way too many hours-on-end. The fact that he hasn't said "Fuck this... This is NOT what I signed-up for", or gone on a three state shooting-spree by now, is quite remarkable.

During the relatively short beta-testing period, he dealt not only with the bugs and teething problems that are to be expected, but he also went out of his way to address things that really could have waited until the new board was fully implemented. To me, he's a perfect fit for the GRM family... Going above-and-beyond to make things better for those of us who love their product.

While I'm still not completely sold on the new layout, I'm getting used to it. I learned long ago to never question the motives of the GRM/CMS crew...They have a unique ability to implement changes that we may initially question, but ultimately make for better magazines AND help the growth of their business.

I personally raise a beer to the entire GRM staff... And throw the empty bottle at you, iadr.

jharbert
jharbert
5/24/08 9:48 a.m.

My only criticism is that I wish the Reader's Rides section wasn't separated out like it has been. It was much easier to browse and keep updated when it was just another room on the board. I'm not wild about the wide space on the left, but it's not really an issue with my 1280x1024 monitor. Hardly worth complaining about.

Props to Baxter for adding features so quickly, and major props to the GRM crew for having his back during the occasionally over the line remarks.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo New Reader
5/24/08 10:38 p.m.

Tim, I think you have done an absolutely awesome job and I would like to kick that guys ass for being such an inconsiderate bastard.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
5/25/08 11:57 a.m.

I have a question about posting images. Before I just clicked the "insert image" icon, and put in the http://img/photobucket.com/ etc, etc, and it worked. But this new format doesn't seem to work like that, and the brackets, etc are different than they used to be. I don't know jack about computer code, but can generally adapt to whatever i need to do to post pics. I just need some guidance here as far as how to enter the image; thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: I think I may have figured it out; my last attempt apparently worked..

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/25/08 9:33 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote: I have a question about posting images. Before I just clicked the "insert image" icon, and put in the http://img/photobucket.com/ etc, etc, and it worked. But this new format doesn't seem to work like that, and the brackets, etc are different than they used to be. I don't know jack about computer code, but can generally adapt to whatever i need to do to post pics. I just need some guidance here as far as how to enter the image; thanks in advance for any help. Edit: I think I may have figured it out; my last attempt apparently worked..

The camera icon (fifth from the left) should be your friend. Let me try:

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/25/08 9:33 p.m.

Hey, it worked! (And that was just the first non-disaster image I saw at cnn.com.)

steved033
steved033 New Reader
5/27/08 6:19 a.m.

+1 on the British Motoring!!

sjd

autoxfil
autoxfil
5/27/08 7:46 a.m.

This is THE FIRST totally integrated forum/classifieds/networking site I've ever seen that didn't completely suck. SCCAforums anyone? Most features there are useless.

Great job guys!

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce None
5/27/08 8:47 a.m.

Please ignore if I'm completely inept but where is the search? And can I search for a user to PM?

I just found the Community link on the right and alphabetized the users list, that'll do once everyone signs back up :nice:

Bruce

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/27/08 8:59 a.m.

Bruce, you'll find a lot of answers here: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-big-new-site-faq/445/page1/

I can't remember if search is addressed in it or not, but it's on my To-Do List. Soon.

bluej
bluej Reader
5/27/08 3:54 p.m.

Tim, is there a way to see which project car was worked on last? i got in the habit of checking the blog for them every few days but now it just takes you to a page that shows all of them with no apparent way to know which was last updated.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/27/08 3:54 p.m.

Last updated will be at the top. Also, the home page shows the latest updates, and there's an RSS feed.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
5/27/08 4:12 p.m.

While we're still beating up Baxter, I'm having to scroll side-to-side on the "Latest Topics" page. (please don't hurt me.) (Firefox 2.0.0.14 on Windows XP, 1024x768)

bluej
bluej Reader
5/27/08 5:07 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Last updated will be at the top. Also, the home page shows the latest updates, and there's an RSS feed.

ahhh. that was way to obvious for me :whatthe::nice:

for the record, i wasn't complaining, just asking if that was happening and i hadn't figured it out yet. which it turns out it was.

thanks tim.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/27/08 5:10 p.m.

No sweat. There's a lot of new things, and sometimes it's not as obvious as I meant it to be.

dollraves
dollraves None
5/28/08 6:23 p.m.

WOW! The site looks great, guys. I love it!

LopRacer
LopRacer New Reader
5/28/08 8:04 p.m.

So far so good, I am getting used to the new site and liking it more and more each time I sign in. Looks like the new site is going to be a winner. :grin:

atlantamx3
atlantamx3 Dork
5/28/08 8:49 p.m.

Post # 200

Looks great on my new 22" Samsung monitor...

I think the new layout is pretty sweet. Lots of hard work went into it!

Great Job, Timbo!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/29/08 5:39 p.m.

I'll probably change the line break handling at some point, but until I do, you can learn all kinds of nifty formatting tricks in the markdown syntax. There's also a lot of tips in the blue ? help icon next to the formatting tools and smilies.

Short answer to your question -- put two spaces where you want the line break. That's one place where I think markdown got it wrong, as that's not very intuitive at all.

Storz
Storz New Reader
5/29/08 7:13 p.m.

I was a half-dork on the old board.....just wondering if I could have my dorkdom updated :nice:

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cXqLkzkpui7PWBhUys6lJvTXjmDmOaHHYlJvAyVv5xIZclOk4D3VQyWl9ZclN988